Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigation to OS grid ref’s
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigation to OS grid ref’s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigation to OS grid ref’s Reply with quote

My job as a country vet requires navigation to farm premises. Many are on unnamed roads. I have OS map references for these premises.

I purchased an iPAQ 3850 + iNS but found it useless as it was impossible to locate the premises on the available maps. I am considering buying MemoryMap Navigator software with 1:50000 OS mapping but this would not give me any navigation instructions.

Does any software exist for PC or Pocket PC which allows navigation to OS grid references or suitably detailed maps to allow identification of farm premises?   
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigation to OS grid ref’s Reply with quote

Dave, the problem with most street routing software like you've found is although they will go down to a fine detail, they won't necessarily show you those farm lanes you're looking for. Memory-Map is a good product and does have some good OS maps including the Get Mapping birdseye view photo maps, but unfortunately Memory-Map, Fugawi and OziExplorer won't give you street style routing as they can't detect what is a street and what is say farm land. It's going to be difficult to find a solution, you may find some products better than others for your area of the country, personally I would have thought that CoPilot/iNS would have been a better choice. CoPilot does have updated maps, and a newer version 4 is due out soon, so you may have better luck with this. I'm not sure what the upgrade cost will be for current iNS users, but watch this space as we'll have a review for when it's released.
DaveA
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave.

I've entered farm names and positions on my e-trex so at least I'll know it's the right place when I get there. I'll check out CoPilot/iNS version 4 when it arrives.
DaveA
Occasional Visitor

Does anyone know if the operators for SmartNav can provide navigation to farm premises or OS grid ref's?
SJTaylor
Occasional Visitor

How about entering all the farms into a POI database or favourites list like in TTN2? Then all you have to do is pick the farm from a list and you're away. At least to the nearest public road. Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

The problem with entering them as POI's is if the farm is half a mile or a mile away from the nearest road, you'll then have to make very good judgement of which route to take. If Dave doesn't know the local roads that well, then he could end up being directed all over the place if the POI sits on a private road, or a road that's not listed.

The only way a POI would work would be to set it to the nearest public road.
SJTaylor
Occasional Visitor

In that case, I suggest memory-map. You can see where you are and where you have to get to, it's just a case of following the lines in between.

I do sympathise as I used to be a rural copper in Cumbria, called out to places I'd never been to before in the middle of the night with only a paper map. And that's after having lived in the area all my life. Eventually, I didn't need a map to get anywhere, it just takes a bit of time. You still can't beat a paper map sometimes. Smile
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Dave,

One option that might work is with Tom Tom Navigator. If you already have your waypoints set in the Etrex then is is possible to goto a Lat/Lon co-ordinate. I am not sure how that would work when the farm is half a mile up a track, but as long as the farm is nearer the main access road than any other it may work.

It is difficult to know until you try. If you email me privately at mike@pocketgpsworld.com one of your lat/lon co-ordinates I will see where it routes to.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: