Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone else trying out 5.0.1.48?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else trying out 5.0.1.48?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prusling
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Anyone else trying out 5.0.1.48? Reply with quote

The good news: I've installed this from the US support site, and it seems to work in the UK apart from announcing roundabouts as circles and being over-optimistic on journey times!

It is described as having the following improvements (not sure since which release):

Detour is now active if a route is not run (eliminates spinning hour glass)
Improved Bluetooth GPS setup. Bonds directly through CoPilot instead of the operating system
Favorites from previous version of CoPilot will now work properly
Improved Live Invitations.
Fixes bug where POI information is not displayed when tapping on a POI
Fixes bug that required Pocket PC to be soft reset after receiving "Data CD not found..." error
Fixes bug where distance units were incorrect after passing your destination
Fixes bug where "Destination" custom display could not be selected by tapping the cycling display in the Driver Safety Mode.
Updated Traffic information
Full support for T-Mobile MDA3.
Full support for T-Mobile MDA Compact.
Improved Live communications and fixes connections issue with XDA Pocket PC's
Fixes conflict with Stop entry and London Congestion Zone warning

The bad news: There's no obvious improvements in use over 5.0.1.22.

Does anyone have other experiences of this update?
crcjh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also installed the 5.0.1.48 upgrade about 2 weeks ago and have had no problems with it. That said, I haven't noticed any visible improvements either, the POI alerts are just as erratic as ever.

You can get around the americanisation by resinstalling either the pocket speech or wave files that sit on your quickstart SD card.
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your recommendation I'm now running with the US V48 software, and would make the following observations:

- after I loaded the v48 patch, I lost the (synthesised) male voice for both POIs and AND all traffic directions.

- although I had no voice, POIs were appearing on the PDA screen and "pinging"

- I've since uninstalled the male TTS files and loaded the female wave files which now announce traffic directions correctly

- as this is the first time I've ever used the female wave voice, my jouney was a little "quieter" as she does not tell you about petrol stations and GATSOs

- do I assume correctly that if you use the WAV files, the "ping" is the only audible alert to POIs

- not sure yet if I'll stick with the female wave files or try to reinstall the male darlek

- what is the consensus of opion amongst CPL5 users regards to the sythesised voice with the extra details or the more pleasant lady?

- there is a bug with the POI slider which moves one position to the left each time CPL5 is shut down

So far US v48 seems much more stable, fewer lock-ups, all GATSOs recognised, albeit by ping only. All we need now is an updated UK version and our "circles" will become roundabouts again...and my £135 purchase will have been justified!!
nikpro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the female WAV voice plus I think it makes the application far more stable - gripp you have noticed this and put it down to V..48; I would suggest it is because you are not using text to speach.

V..48 does seem better but the Options scree keeps resetting itself - try moving the slider for POI alerts (On Or near Route) Everytime you reopen the options the slider moves one place to the left!!
SumTingWong
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gripp wrote:
On your recommendation I'm now running with the US V48 software, and would make the following observations:

gripp wrote:
- after I loaded the v48 patch, I lost the (synthesised) male voice for both POIs and AND all traffic directions.

I got the same problem when I did a brand new installation of v5.0.1.48 (I made a new copy of the Install Disc with the original "coPilot.arm2003.cab" file replaced with the v5.0.1.48 "coPilot.arm2003.cab" file and installed from that new copy). However, when I updated the old version with the new version (downloading the v5.0.1.48 "coPilot.arm2003.cab" file and ran it on the Pocket PC), the TTS feature remained working in my case. Confused

gripp wrote:
- although I had no voice, POIs were appearing on the PDA screen and "pinging"

- I've since uninstalled the male TTS files and loaded the female wave files which now announce traffic directions correctly

- as this is the first time I've ever used the female wave voice, my jouney was a little "quieter" as she does not tell you about petrol stations and GATSOs

- do I assume correctly that if you use the WAV files, the "ping" is the only audible alert to POIs

- not sure yet if I'll stick with the female wave files or try to reinstall the male darlek

gripp wrote:
- what is the consensus of opion amongst CPL5 users regards to the sythesised voice with the extra details or the more pleasant lady?

I like the TTS voice with the extra details. There is a TTS female voice. WAV files are just too primitive for the 21st century.

gripp wrote:
- there is a bug with the POI slider which moves one position to the left each time CPL5 is shut down

So far US v48 seems much more stable, fewer lock-ups, all GATSOs recognised, albeit by ping only. All we need now is an updated UK version and our "circles" will become roundabouts again...and my £135 purchase will have been justified!!

I'm a US user and I agree that v5.0.1.48 seems much more stable. It no longer locks up whenver I go through this freeway interchange. All versions before v5.0.1.48 always lock up whenever I go through this freeway interchange in Southern California. The green line is the calculated route. The red line is my favorite route. Previous version of CoPilot Live always lock up at the circled intersection. Magnolia & Orangethorpe are surface streets. All others are bridges above Magnolia.

With all that said, I'm still disappointed that there is still something wrong with the new version.
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in the UK who had tried the US v48 version said that the indicated distances seemed slightly incorrect with this version.

I assume that the US v48 version is based on US miles which, like US gallons, differ slightly from their UK equivalents.

Does anyone know how many US miles equate to a UK mile...or vice versa?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gripp wrote:
Does anyone know how many US miles equate to a UK mile...or vice versa?

There is no difference between the US mile and the Imperial mile.
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy...I was getting confused with US gallons.
NigelL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoken to ALK in the UK (Shock! - Horror!)

Mind you, thats where the good new ends...

The tech support guy I spoke to was unable to say when a UK localized version of .48 would become available. He was only able to say that it was in software testing at the moment (as is the Live Traffic component) and that no date for release can be given.
nikpro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fault I have found with this version is that you need to tick the checkboxes in POI's for every new trip for the alerts to work; it's almost as if they clear each time you exit copilot.

The boxes remain ticked but don't work unless you re-check them.
SumTingWong
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: TTS Female doesn't work for v5.0.1.48 Reply with quote

TTS Female doesn't work no matter what you do... remove, reinstall, reinstall to main memory, reinstall to memory card... install before copilot, install after... It DOESN'T work for v5.0.1.48!!

TTS Male however works the first time you install it.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds all too familiar. When I bought CP4 the only voice I could get to work was the male TTS, which was so long winded that in built up areas I had always passed the junction before he got to the punch line. CP support were very helpful, but nothing we tried worked. Then when I upgraded to CP5 I was immediately able to use the female wav voice. Much briefer and made the software usable. I will be cautious about 5.0.1.48 if it is likely to lose me the wav voice
Robin
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

After changing from using synthesised male voice to female wave files I've now been using the US v5.0.1.48 for several days without any problems.

Every GATSO has been pinged on both outward and return journeys, even without a PDA reset at my destination . Journey re-calcs, even several consecutive re-calcs, seem to work without causing the Mitac to hang. By running with GATSOs as the only POIs selected you know that any "ping-pong" means watch out of slow down!

If this continues, I shall have a much warmer feeling about CoPilot, and the £135 I spent on it. I guess the TT3 versus CPL5 debate will always be with us, but the facility to play with the maps and GATSOs, and plan journeys, on the desktop is a very nice feature which I would miss if I had TT3.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gripp wrote:
Update:

I guess the TT3 versus CPL5 debate will always be with us, but the facility to play with the maps and GATSOs, and plan journeys, on the desktop is a very nice feature which I would miss if I had TT3.

I switched back to Tom Tom beginning of this year and exactly the same can be achieved by using Autoroute to plan the route, take the lat and long coordinates of you destination and add them to an .OV2 file of your favorites. The routing is much more logical and you have the added advantage of voice warnings of speed and mobiles cameras being given with the correct speed limit for each camera.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

Thanks for the TomTom information which I was unaware of. As I already have AutoRoute 2005 I would be half-way there.

Now if there is a new version of TT just round the corner, I may be tempted to follow your advice and switch. Oh dear, more money!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: