Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - are laser detectors really any good????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

are laser detectors really any good????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacemaker1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: are laser detectors really any good???? Reply with quote

apart from the fact they may become illegal soon (prob be law just to sell them after a certain date) do they actually work??
some guys on Lexus forum reckon by the time it detects lasers its already to late
i think this is possible especially if your the only vehicle on the road but what about the motorway bridge vans? do they emit enough stray rays detecting othere cars to trigger an alarm and give you enough time to adjust your speed??
reason i ask is i'm in the market for some kind of system and from what i've read so far if these rumours are true then i will probably go down the tomtom or pda route instead and concentrate on fixed cameras and blackspots only
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pacemaker1000,

Welcome to the forum. Thumbs Up

I agree with the guys on the Lexar forum. Radar detectors work because radar produces a lot of “scatter”. Laser produces much less scatter and is more accurate at point pointing your front or rear number plates, which are the most likely areas of your car to be targeted because they are the most reflective.

General consensus of opinion is that once your laser detector has alerted you of a laser emission, you have been “bagged and tagged”, i.e. you have been targeted and processed if you’re over the speed limit.

If I were you, I’d go for a PDA/PND (Personal Navigation Device) solution that allows you to use our free PocketGPSWorld camera database.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or don't speed :D
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not speeding is the ideal.

The problem as I see it, is that so many roads are having their limit reduced that a lot of them look like the limit should be faster than it actually is, so its easy to make a mistake. And as a by product the goverment makes more money 8O

I don't condone speeding BTW, but it seems to me that soon we will be back to having someone walking in front of the car with a flag! Wink

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've extensively tested laser detectors and the outcome is they simply don't work. Overlooking the fact that they will be banned soon (as will radar and any other 'active' detection devices) the laser beam is so narrow that the scatter which these systems rely on to be of any use is negligible.

Given that some Laser Guns can target you at well over a mile, any alarm you do receive will serve merely to give you advance notice of the NIP that will be coming through your letterbox Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, am currently testing a new kid on the block in the SCD field, www.talex.co.uk. This is one of the few systems that will still be legal after the legislation comes into effect as it does not have a laser detector.

First impressions are good, its small, simple to use and has clear voice alerts, I'll nned to do some more in-depth testing to evaluate the accuracy of the database which is the critical deciding factor with these systems now.

My current Snooper S4 has laser built-in and so will technically be illegal soon Sad , on other systems such as Origin B2 and Road Angel the laser detetctors are plug-in accessories and so can be removed to ensure they conform.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the name suggests the "Target LT400 Remote Garage Door Opener" opens garage doors, turns on lights etc without the need to fumble for a hand held remote control by transmitting coded pulses of laser and is designed to be "an on at all times" device. Unfortunately these laser pulses corrupt the reflected laser pulses from a laser gun and prevent a speed reading from being obtained. There are laser diffusers on the market which will become illegal because that is all they are designed to do. Since the purpose of the LT400 is to act as a remote control device it will be difficult to prove it's a laser diffuser especially as it has a switch to turn it off in the event of it interfering with another laser device. By switching off the LT400 I would argue that the owner has discharged his responsibilty not to interfere with the police laser device.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you could of course use that as your defence if you choose but you'd still be facing a prosecution. If you're flagged as having passed a speed check where they couldn't get a lock your VRN is logges and added to PNC. If your number comes up again then you can expect a visit from Police and a vehicle inspection.

Contrary to what you stated though, all the laser diffusers originated as garage door openers and so you will face a charge of perverting the course of justice if the inspection reveals a unit fitted. Although you have a defence it is for the courts to decide if that defence is to be allowed. There have been three prosecutions to date, all successful so it really isn't worth it.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the three prosecution cases since I have not seen the court transcripts but as with all legal cases the results are dependant on lots of factors. e.g if you use an LT400 and the police visit your home and you do not have a garage the arguement that it was a garage door opener would not stand. If, however, you had the unit switching on security lights then it would be remote control device. It will only be a matter of time before someone challenges the banning of the LT400 as an infringement of their human right to open their garage door etc by a non hand held remote control. That's why I love the law. It's there to be challenged and if no one ever did we would still be prosecuted for buying a bible on a Sunday and eating a mince pie at Xmas.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Snooper guys are telling porkies then. Their spec states that
the S5 R unit can detect laser guns at up to 2 miles.

Snooper S5 R Features include:

Five band radar/laser detection
Power cords, fitting kits and storage case
Digital Logic Mode
LED text display
360 degree cover
Express Start
Mute & Automute settings
Display brightness control
Memory retention of preferred settings
Two Year Warranty
Dimensions (w)7.5cm x (h)3cm x (l)11.5cm
Typical Detection Range:

Gatso Cameras - Up to 300m
Radar guns - Up to 2 miles
Laser guns - Up to 2 miles
Mini Gatso - Up to 700m
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caravanj wrote:

Not at all, it can 'detect' laser and very possibly at that distance but under ideal conditions not real world scenarios. However the chances of it alerting you in time to react before your speed has been captured are very very slight.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
caravanj wrote:

Not at all, it can 'detect' laser and very possibly at that distance but under ideal conditions not real world scenarios. However the chances of it alerting you in time to react before your speed has been captured are very very slight.

Even if it can detect laser guns at up to 2 mile if, laser is line of sight & how many roads have sightline of 2 miles, those that do then if there was a laser gun in operation on that stretch then would your speed be detected at 2 mile?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiveLifeGoJump wrote:
Even if it can detect laser guns at up to 2 mile if, laser is line of sight & how many roads have sightline of 2 miles, those that do then if there was a laser gun in operation on that stretch then would your speed be detected at 2 mile?

The maximum operational range is typically 2000ft for the best and even then the laser is very difficult to target accurately and prone to error.

The point is that typically, once a detector has alerted you it is already too too late for you. Your speed will already have been measured so if you were speeding you will be getting a letter. Only where the alert is triggered by laser reflection could an alert allow you the opportunity to reduce speed. Scatter and reflection will only rarely be sufficient to trigger a laser detector in a car following behind as it will almost always be refelected forwards or sideways and not rearwards.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: