Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Globalsat 307 GPS Receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Globalsat 307 GPS Receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexnigma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Globalsat 307 GPS Receiver Reply with quote

Hi,
Can anyone give me any info on the Globalsat 307. Is it any good etc. I am using Tom Tom 3 on a Ipaq 2210 256Mb SD Card with a Tom Tom wired Gps receiver. I am interested to know if it is reliable and as good performing as the wired receiver I have.
Also what about when you take it out of the car to say do a walking route does it keep a good signal with available satellites? Thank you in advance. Smile
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I can thoroughly recommend the BC-307. Mine is so good that it has been purloined permanently by my Son who uses it while riding his motorbike.

It's a well made piece of kit and I found it to be totally reliable with a good fix always while using TomTom 3. I can recommend it for walking but of course, if you have it on all the time, battery life will be reduced.

I would personally recommend a BT unit for walking as battery life is effectively doubled and the receiver can be kept out of harms way in the top of a rucsac or similar.

The only slight negative to a CF receiver is in relation to the way it sticks out of the top of the ipaq if you mount it in a car winscreen, potentially obscuring some view. This also makes it a little vulnerable to snapping off if you go walking in rough country.

On the whole, if you buy a BC-307 with your eyes open to the small disadvantages, you will not be disappointed as it offers excellent value for money.

Steve
Nissan Connect
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can heartily agree with Steve999 on that - although mine's been half-inched by my father (no Steve999 isn't my father Wink - at least not that I know of Laughing)

The only words of warning I have is to take it out of the iPaq if you're not going to use the iPaq for a couple of days because the CF GPS does appear to drain the battery of the iPaq and you may end up needing a reinstall.

The other WoW - if you're buying from eBay, take a look further into the seller's ratings - there is one seller of BC-307's out there that has a high rating, but that high rating obscures a steady stream of negative feedback. For obvious reasons I'm not going to name the seller here.
alexnigma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thank you both for your comments. For what appears to be quite a reasonably priced item it would appear well worth the investment. :D
ipaqczar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. I have the BC-307 CF card and it has been a wonderful introduction to GPS technology for me. Excellent size, price, & value.

Mine didn't come with a PCMIA adapter though Sad
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started using one and I'm very impressed. It recieves and retains a strong signal even laying on the passenger seat or indoors, several feet from a window. I don't forsee ever needing to use the provided external antenna.

I got mine from eBuyer.co.uk. It was cheap (£45 inc VAT), but not without hassle as they sent me a CF modem card by mistake. By the time they responded to my complaint, issued and processed an RMA then sent the right part, it took almost four weeks instead of the 24hr delivery I paid for. They refunded the 24hr delivery surcharge, but that's all they did.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: