Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SP1 - Is that it!!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SP1 - Is that it!!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSeymour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: SP1 - Is that it!!? Reply with quote

I can't believe we have waited 3 months for some "tweaks". I am sure that the improved routing etc have been hard work but so has the effort that has been put into assessing this product by the users and providing reams of analysis and wish lists. SP1 shows almost no refernce to the items deemed necessary and important by hardened users. I sincerely hope that Navman use the next SP to provide some of the features requested by people who use the product in "anger". By the way, having seen the 3d images on TomTom, Navman should make this a top priority!

David
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: SP1 - Is that it!!? Reply with quote

This is a service pack, not an upgrade. Service packs are designed to build on existing functionality, and to make existing functions more stable.
DSeymour
Occasional Visitor

When you think how long we waited for the original product release and now the SP, I still maintain that better progress should have been made but I take your point. However, Navman accept that SP's can contain new features (see below).

Now the good news, Bruce at Navman just mailed me the folowing.

"We are planning a second service release in July, which may add some additional features. The major upgrade is sceduled for September, where we will be including some cutting-edge features, which at the moment are confidential, but I assure you that they will be extremely pleasing dedicated GPS users."

Light at the end of the tunnel.

David

gracar
Regular Visitor

Having the time to "play" with these things I downloaded the service pack earlier today and I thought I'd share a couple of thoughts.

Well presented download. The intial load is designed to check out the iPaq and I guess ensure that the user is eligible this leads on to a 1.4Mb download which is the actual SP. It all worked according to plan.

I then took it for a 10 mile "test drive", over a route I use to try these things out, to see if I could notice any immediate differences. First impressions - the voice is clearer and less jerky, the routing was different to that I normally get and was an improvement, the instructions were better (it used the right names and numbers not something random).

On the downside I suffered initially in that the instruction list and voice were OK but the screen locked and the map did not scroll. I reset and started over and everything was fine.

I did notice when I first looked for a fix and when I reset that the TTF times were quicker than I normally get. It looks to me that this is an improvement over the previous version - we'll see how it goes over time.
Janus
Occasional Visitor

I have just installed the SP1 without any problems. I have now discovered that it is no longer possible to register a street as favourite which has no name. It gives a message "Street Name Not Defined". This is in my view a huge set back as many streets in Southern Spain have no names on the Navman maps.
BigH
Regular Visitor

I too have applied SP1 without issues, I have noticed improved routing and TTF has improved enormously, that alone was worth the SP!!

BigH.
BigH
Regular Visitor

I did notice one thing, it still can't route across the English Channel!!

BigH
Royalty
Regular Visitor

Well I must admit I'm quite pleased with the changes. The voice instructions sound much more lifelike and not as robotic, TTF was much quicker and also noticed that previously the UTC clock would count up during this - this time it didn't and I thought it had locked up and needed a reset, but no I gave it a few more seconds and hey presto a fix faster than ever before.

Can't wait for more of the same in July - and the major upgrade for September definately sounds good!
carl
Occasional Visitor

In the upgrade routine there are options for Swedish "Svenska" and Danish "Dansk" but they do not seem to work, so I stick to UK English. It´s OK for me, but being Swedish I would have liked to hear voices in my own language.

Am I right about this, and if so, will it be rectified shortly?

Carl
Richard
Occasional Visitor

Have any of you guys been able to sucessfully install SP1 on a iPAQ 3660? And been able to get a gps lock?
carl
Occasional Visitor

I have tried SP1 on a 3660 and on a 3990. No GPS lock afterwards on any of them. Just hope that my backups still work as well as they did before the "service"!
mbrondt
Occasional Visitor

I have a 3630 which is upgraded to 64mb ram, and I have installed SP1 english version and it doesn't seem to have a problem with locking satelites.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: