Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Location Jumps instead of Settling
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Location Jumps instead of Settling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donster22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Location Jumps instead of Settling Reply with quote

Hi

I am a keen geocacher and use MM for this purpose.

Recently I have found that my posiiton cannot be 100% relied upon which has shaken my confidence in what I thought was a very good bit of kit.

This evening I settled at a point and took a position reading. This reading then remiained the same for about 10 minutes with 8 satellites before suddenly jumping 250 ft away where it then settled again. The original location has been verified by a couple of other people but I am losing confidence MM. The same thing happened at the weekend.

Why might this have happened? Does anyone else have this problem?

I use a Holuz GR230 and the settings in MM are NMEA @ 4800 baud rate or 9600 - does it make a difference? Nothing else has changed and I haven't had this problem before I don't think.

Any ideas.

Cheers
Donster22
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General accuracy without DGPS is about 10 to 15 meters, so some jumping around is to be expected. VisualGPS has some nice statistics for long time DOP verification.

250 feet is about 80 meters - too much for standard DOP. There may have been other factors like an electronic device nearby that is interfering - a poorly shielded microwave, or even a GPS jammer device, who knows. Do you have the same jumping around at other locations?

For a serial GPS you should use 4800 and for a BT receiver 38400.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dottythe90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this too.

From my house where I've previously had a good solid location displayed, I now get the symptoms described by Donster22 - the location jumps around by around 50-80 yards and leaves a track on the screen.

Its only happened since Christmas - anything to do with the Indian Ocean earthquake ? Its supposed to have speeded up the earths rotation fractionally which won't help geo-synched satellites much.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: