Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Street Pilot 111 + memory card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Street Pilot 111 + memory card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TPKeane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Street Pilot 111 + memory card Reply with quote

I am thinking of getting a Street Pilot 111. I have various memory cards for cameras & videos. Does the SP111 only take special Garmin memory cards or can others be used?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello TPKeane

The Street Pilot III uses garmins own data cards, i do not think you can use other types in that model.

But why not contact them direct and ask.

http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/salesSupport.jsp
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are special cards and cannot be used in anything else - the newer models don't use them.

I've used an SPIII all across Europe and the States and it never let me down.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Street Pilot 111 + memory card Reply with quote

TPKeane wrote:
I am thinking of getting a Street Pilot 111. I have various memory cards for cameras & videos. Does the SP111 only take special Garmin memory cards or can others be used?

Don't get a SPIII, it only takes special (read expensive and small capacity) Garmin memory cards and the GPS itself is quite old now.

Have a look at the newer StreetPilot 2610 which takes Compact Flash cards or the smaller Garmin Quest (which has a non expandable 256 Meg memory).
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPKeane wrote:

Oh, and Welcome too! :D
Number6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Street Pilot 111 + memory card Reply with quote

TPKeane wrote:

I was also looking at getting the Street Pilot lll (for car and bike) but I went for the Quest due to bigger memory, faster processor and lower price. I don't know if I did the right thing because my knowledge of these things is minimal! All I can say is that I like the Quest but the SP lll is now on sale at Makro for £299 including memory card and programmer. 8O I still feel the Quest is a better product but then I would say that now I've bought it! Also, is the SP lll being discontinued? Seems a few retailers are showing it as 'no longer available'
Number6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps.... the Quest has a rechargeable battery too!
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the SP3 is being discontinued - if you can get a quest for <£300 I 'd do it.
BernieK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Cheap SP3... Reply with quote

...and if it does not come with City Navigator V7, you can get a free upgrade (normally £90-ish) to the latest version.

The SP3 is now old and the memory cards are ridiculously expensive, the kit is robust and reliable.

I own both a SP3 and an Ipaq 6340. The latter is really impressive with TT3 working with POI Warner - it works lovely! The Ipaq is a super, all-in-one solution wrapping up mobile phone, auto-routing, PDA and speedcam warning all in one small box ...but the whole setup it is really flakey. Usually a soft reset is required after each outing to start the whole shebang from scratch each time. It also takes several minutes of mucking about to get all the component programmes up and running together.

In contrast, the SP3 is straightforward, plug it in, turn it on, tell it where to go and you're off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: