Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Biking with GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Biking with GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Biking with GPS Reply with quote

Hi there to any biking GPS experts.
I've got a GoldWing and I'm looking for a self contained GPS primarily for Europe. I will want to use it in the car in this country.
I'm looking at the Mio 268/269. The Garmins are OK but the screens are a bit small and I think I'd like to have the 3D option as well as the MP3 facility . Am I right in thinking that the screen characteristics are not that important, as it's the voice commands which do the business when riding a bike. Is it any better to have the display in Landscape rather than Portrait. Do I need to worry about having a Hard Drive on a motorbike? A lot of bikers opt for the Garmin 2610 instead of the 2620 for that reason.
Any input would be appreciated before I pick up the phone and part with the money.
Cheers, Brian.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Biking with GPS Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome

I don't know about the Mio, but I do use a Garmin and sometimes a Smartphone on my bike.

My opinions (your mileage may vary!!) are:

Screen size is not that much of a problem. I use a GPS-V and a Smartphone and they both have quite small screens. The most important thing is the distance to next turn countdown. The GPS gives a nice closeup of the intersection when you arrive there so you can tell where you are going.

If you have a decent helmet speaker system then the voice commands are definately worth having, but I can live without them. Sometimes they aren't 100% clear about where they want you to go. If I had to choose between voice or map, I would choose map every time. Simple intersections are OK, but more complex ones may cause you to take a wrong turn.

Screen orientation is probably best in portrait. I don't really bother with 3D map display, I think it's a gimmick but other people quite like it.

Hard disk on a bike: I would say don't do it. There is a lot of vibration and it could cause problems. I don't think Garmin recommend it.

Remember that you will have to waterproof and mount your Mio somehow. Check out http://www.otterbox.com/ and http://www.ram-mounts-uk.com/ for some ideas.

Let us know how you get on!
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Skippy,

I'll bear all that in mind. I'm going to wait for the Mio 268 (without Hard Drive) review which is due out in March, then make up my mind. I'm quite happy to change the odd card over when travelling.
Thanks again, Brian.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShirleyTemple wrote:
I'm quite happy to change the odd card over when travelling.

I don't think you will need to change cards, even considering the distances you could cover on a 'wing. Wink

The entire Western European maps for my Garmin GPS are less than 1 Gig and a large portion would fit into 512 Meg. The entire UK is about 128 Meg. CoPilot maps are a similar size. The maps for the MIO might be bigger but take this as a guide.

You can get solid state (ie not hard drive) 1 Gig memory cards for about £50 these days so you would probably have room for a good number of MP3's too.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at http://www.adventure-motorcycling.co.uk/products/?category=40

It is packages for the goldwing [/url]
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy.
By the way do you have snow on your Christmas Cards? I only ask because I've just got back from Ibiza (Spain) and they were saying that they sent Christmas Cards with scenes of snow which I thought was a little strange.
Thanks for the link Steve.
I have visited this site before but I'm not keen on Garmin because:- no 3D view, no MP3 Player ect., smaller screen and a bit bulky for slipping into your pocket. But I will be needing an intercom interface for the voice commands.
Cheers, Brian.
PS I wish they would do something about the speed on this site and I'm on 1mb/s broadband.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are aware that there's some speed issues on the site; we're doing what we can to sort them out.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: