Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - EGNOS and WAAS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

EGNOS and WAAS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xtreme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: EGNOS and WAAS Reply with quote

Hello

OK!!! I know that those two systems are like a correction system. The WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) works in North America, and THe EGNOS works in Europe :D.
My Magellan SporTrak is ready acording to Magellan to accept both systems, and in my case is the EGNOS that i need. So far so good 8) . BUT i only receive WAAS satelites. My question is shoudn´t i receive the EGNOS satelites instead the WAAS Question Question Question I´m thinking that, the WAAS that i receive is the EGNOS System, but because of the Software of my receiver this is not capable of diferentiate betwen both signals (WAAS and EGNOS) so when he receives this Signal providing from the EGNOS system he will think its the WAAS.
I know that i´m expressing myself very badly, but i couldn´t explain better. The instruction book is not very explicit :x . I´m very pleased with the acuracy of my GPS but i dont know if the WAAS that he shows is the WAAS or the EGNOS. In case of being the WAAS i think that it´s not useful here in Portugal Confused .

Sory the bad English

Daniel
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. The Magellan is an american product, and they are probably just ignorant to the fact that the SBAS is not called WAAS in EMEA.

Since it works this is only a minor annoyance.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange though, Magellan = Thales = French = European = EGNOS.

I think that Magellan are HQ'd in the US though.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
You are right. The Magellan is an american product, and they are probably just ignorant to the fact that the SBAS is not called WAAS in EMEA

I wouldn't be too hard on Magellan. EGNOS is not officially operational yet and it probably didn't even exist when the SporTrak was manufactured...

Garmin also use the term "WAAS" to refer to the satelites which broadcast the differential correction data.

Maybe in future the acronym SBAS (Space Based Augmentation System) will be used to collectively refer to the American WAAS and European EGNOS systems.
Xtreme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

In conclusion, it doesn´t matter if it appears WAAS on the GPS. If there is any SBAS operating is the EGNOS, because WAAS system doesn´t cover Europe Wink.
By the way, if EGNOS is not officially operational, i shouldn´t receive any signal at all Confused. Or should i Question Question
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, EGNOS does kinda work, from time to time. The "Life saving" bit is not set yet, so they take no responsibility if you use it now.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will get a signal if you have WAAS enabled, but EGNOS is (most of the time) transmitting data with the "do not use" flag set. Whether the GPS uses this data or ignores it depends on your receiver and firmware revision.

It sounds like your GPS does use it - I don't think it will cause any problems to have it switched on. My Garmin and Holux GPS units will both receive the EGNOS data and use it to for a differential fix, but be aware that EGNOS may or may not be providing useful correction data at any given time! 8O

EGNOS should be officially up and running pretty soon, they have been testing it for some time now.
Xtreme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see...... :o :o

Meanwhile, with or with out the EGNOS the acuracy is pretty good :P. But when EGNOS become oficialy working, i expect better acuracy :D. Normaly with out any SBAS i have less than 7 m of error, sometimes it gets 12 ou more, but 90% of the times is less than 7m.

Regards
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtreme wrote:
Normaly with out any SBAS i have less than 7 m of error, sometimes it gets 12 ou more, but 90% of the times is less than 7m.

I get about 7 meters reported without SBAS and <2 meters reported with SBAS. I have never been able to verify that the position is actually accurate to within 2 meters but that's what it claims!

To know how accurate your GPS really is, you have to find a survey point and check it's position using your GPS. The position of these marks are professionally surveyed and accurate to a few centimeters.

Enjoy!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Magellan All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: