Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rechargeable AA batteries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rechargeable AA batteries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xtreme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Rechargeable AA batteries Reply with quote

Greetings:

I´m a newbie on this GPS thing. I bought a Magellan SporTrack Map, the european version, just to orient myself when ride bike, and hike by rough country :o . First i want to buy the Garmin eTrex, but everybody said to buy a Cartographic GPS rather than a non cartographic 8O . I follow their advices and bought this, i think for the use i will give to im, its enought. By the way; i´m also going to "explore" the GeoCaching hobbie, because it looks very cool 8).
My question is: can i use rechargeable NiMh bateries on im??? This receiver runs out of bateries very quickly :x.

P.S=Sorry the bad english, but i live in Portugal, and i dont write english very often Embarassed

"Not all those who wander are lost..."

J.R.R. Tolkien
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Xtreme

Quote:
My question is: can i use rechargeable NiMh bateries on im??? This receiver runs out of bateries very quickly

Yes you can, but use high capacity type, 1700 - 2300 Ni/MH types.

You may be able to buy these from a good photo store with a quick charger, your unit uses 2 x AA, so if you buy a charger with 4 x AA then you will have 2 spare as well.

Regards

PocketGps
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Xtreme

This is the type i was reffering too

http://www.greatdigitaldeals.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=8

Regards

PocketGps
Xtreme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I´ve got 1800 mAh, 1600 mAh and 1100 mAh, all of them are NiMH type :D. I wil try the 1800, but if the duration doesn´t pass the 10 hours, i will buy 2400 mAh.

"Not all those who wander are lost..."

J.R.R. Tolkien
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another vote for the NiMHs. I use the Energizer 2300mAh batteries exclusively and they work great in both my Meridian and digital camera.

Considering how many 'throw-away' batteries they replace they're actually dirt cheap.

Alf
yearnslow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long do the 2400 last alf?
Xtreme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings

Today i´ve put for the first time NiMH batteries on my SporTrak Map :D . They were fresh charged, and the voltimeter acused 1.45 v, i know that a regular non rechargeable AA Alkaline batterie have more than 1.50 v :o , and a NiMH have 1.20 V minimum and a 1.48 V maximum (i never reached more than that). The "problem" is that the power graphic show that they are full only at 90% aprox. I believe this apens because of the "internal voltimeter" sees that this batterie have less current that a normal fresh new alkalines. I´m using GP 1800 mAh, but i´m planing to buy 2300 or 2400 mAh Wink.
If i put a high capacity (2300 mAh or more) bateries, does the power situation reach is full capacity:?: Question (100%)

Sory the bad English

Daniel
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Daniel

The power reading may not get above 90% even with higher capacity batteries, its reading the voltage, which when switched on is lower than the alkaline batteries as you know.

I would try your system out to see how long it lasts on the 1800mAh batteries, then add about 20-25% for the 2300mAh batteries.

The problem with recharable batteries is there lower voltage as this means that the current drawn is higher than with alkaline.

Regards

PocketGps
AlfGulford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yearnslow-

Fully charged, 2300mAh batts will keep my Meridian Color going full time for at least 12 hours with limited backlight use. I've never tried to go longer. The best advice I got from a GPS class was to only turn the unit on occasionally - as needed to get your bearings. Of course, then you don't have the fun of watching the terrain scroll down the screen or have a full track to download, but the batteries will last much longer. I also always carry a set of spare batteries.

There are two disadvantages to the rechargeables that I'm aware of. One is using them in two-way radios. At 1.2 volts the radios don't have quite as much range as 1.5 volt throw-away batteries. But that's OK - I'm still saving a bunch of money.

The other is something I read about in the technical specs webpage of the battery manufacturer (3 or 4 years ago, if it's still accurate). At that time they were saying that the charge diminishes by something like 1/2 to 1% per day. So over the course of a month you might lose 25% of the charge. No problem if you plan ahead. Just be aware of the possibility.

Alf
bobhaack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Rechargeable Batteries Reply with quote

I use the rechargeable NiMH batteries very successfully in my Magellan Meridian Platinum gps receiver. I use the 2300ma capacity batteries and am not afraid to use the backlighting...they have plenty of capacity. Good luck with your gps. Best Regards...Bob//

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Magellan All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: