Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Product Sold with outdated Map Data 2002 Is this acceptable?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Product Sold with outdated Map Data 2002 Is this acceptable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Product Sold with outdated Map Data 2002 Is this acceptable? Reply with quote

Hi

This is regarding the Lidl Falk Navigator package that was on sale in Lidl Stores 9th Dec 2004,

On the surface it is a nice package updated Mio unit with 400Mhz CPU and FlashRom,

The problems are with the Falk Navigator software supplied with the package, several users are reporting bad map errors,

On doing a bit of digging thru the mapping data supplied it comes to light that the map release is way out of date, The Map CAB files are dated Sept 2002!, and from a bit of further digging, the maps were a Q4 2001 release that were upated mid 2002,

Falk turn around and say that the package is not advertised as the latest which is Falk Navigator 2004, and is a budle produced at a budget price for Lidl

Although this is true, is it not deceptive to be selling a package called Falk Navigator Premium, (With all the documentation dated 2004), when the map data is 2 years out of date, it hardly gives a good impression to new users of these systems.

Interested in other users comments, before I approch Lidl about this

RIchard
Houdini
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.... Good luck with this Rolling Eyes

I can't realy see that you will be offered anything other than a bring it back for a refund (just to get rid of you).

1. Do you realy want a refund
2. Do you realy want to use Falk Navigator software (any version) when almost every man and his dog have seen the light and are using TomTom software.

Dave.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the maps really are that old (and I have no way of verifying it), you might be able to get a reduced price upgrade to later Falk software / maps.

As an alternative, I believe it's an excellent price just for the hardware - so rather than returning it (which is likely the only remedy you'll be offered from the shop - especially if there was no explicit promise of up to date maps), you could buy and install alternative software.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've been saying this far too much recently, but "You get what you pay for".

Just because a bundle package looks like it's the best thing since sliced bread, and it is at an unbeatable price, there's usually a reason behind it.

The Medion/Navigon bundle was the same, using outdated map data and an outdated program version.
badboymick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the description on the box does mention about it having up to date map data on a memory card, or something to those words. Can't check, Wife willl not let me have it till Christmas.
Glynned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got the box in front of me and yes it does say "Up-to-date card material for United Kingdom as well as main road network for additional European Countries on a 256 MB SD Card Pre-installed for border crossing navigation"

It also says Falk City Guides with hotels and restaurants, sights, parking garages, petrol stations, and additional addresses related to travel, leisure and transportation for free download at www.falk.de/navigator. This site is mainly in German and the downloads all relate to mainland europe, there are none for the uk.

Support Hotline 00800 22 55 89 74, which I assume is again in Germany. When I did find a page in English, this pointed to another site Map and Guide, with faq's etc, however the latest faq's were dated November this year and didn't offer much info.

I did try the Marco Polo site on which the Falk Software seems to based in the hope I would find some info on how to convert poi's to add to the program namely your speed camera database, no luck on that one either. I did find some dowloads for the uk and they do work with Falk, but they are the same ones supplied on the cd's, I think.

I am satisfied with the Pda, but it would be nice if you could import Poi's in to the Falk Software. If anyone knows how I would be grateful if you could tell me. It does seem to support integration of Poi's within the program because you can import the ones on the Marco Polo site and they work ok.

Glynned
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

00 800 numbers are international freephone numbers. They could terminate anywhere in the world.

David
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glynned wrote:
I've got the box in front of me and yes it does say "Up-to-date card material for United Kingdom..."

I guess it all depends on how you define "up-to-date". After all, 2002 is up-to-date compared to map data from 1990. By the same token if you consider that "up-to-date" means 100% accurate then no current navigation software can be deemed up-to-date since they all have long lead times in development (probably a year old is best you will ever get). It's all relative - it depends what you consider a "baseline" value is.

Personally I would consider the Lidl PDA a pretty good bargain even if it had no navigation software bundled at all.
Glynned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diplo,

Yes I would agree it is a good package. The software isn't that bad when compared to the so called market leaders. No navigation software is all things to all man/women. In fact it seems to work very well so far.

The only direct comparison I can make is with Navman software and it compares very well, the only downside would seem to be with third party poi's, which Navman have only just introduced in v3.

The fact is there would seem to be very little support for this product in the uk and as I don't speak German, it's going to be quite difficult to get any support. The product is sold with a three year warranty with a Service Hotline, even on weekends. I have not so far contacted it so I can't say if it's there or not. But similar problems exist with all the main players in this game, once the software is sold, get on with it, or that's how it seems from reading the posts in this forum. In fact there seems to be more help here than anywhere else and this is free. Now if only some one would sort out the poi question with this software I would be very hapy Laughing
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glynned, I understand your position. I myself bought a recent Medion bundle from Aldi (very similar to the one Lidl had). I ended up getting rid of the bundled navigation software (cut-down Navigon 4.2) and installed TomTom navigator 3, which has been great. One thing I've realised is that support from Medion will probably be non-existent - the PDA/GPS I bought isn't even mentioned on their official UK site (or anywhere else as far as I can tell). I also quickly realised that having a cut-down version of Navigon was also a dead end since it's very doubtful they will ever release map updates for it (since it uses different map data than the full version).

However, I except all these things because I'm still very happy with the PDA/GPS overall, especially once I got TT3 running (and updated). I still got what I consider a bargain even if it means a few shortcuts had to be made. As you say, what you lack in official support is more than made up for by the friendly staff and people here Smile
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diplo wrote:
Glynned wrote:
I've got the box in front of me and yes it does say "Up-to-date card material for United Kingdom..."

I guess it all depends on how you define "up-to-date". After all, 2002 is up-to-date compared to map data from 1990.

Perhaps Webster's English Dictionary can help out here:

Webster's Dictionary wrote:

Main Entry: up-to-date
Function: adjective
1 : extending up to the present time : including the latest information <up-to-date maps>
2 : abreast of the times : MODERN <up-to-date methods>

OK, let's look at the facts.

The goods are described as having "Up-to-date card material for United Kingdom..." when in fact, the maps are "Q4 2001 release that were upated mid 2002" which is 2.5 years old. We know from Dave's excellent article about Navteq that the mapping data is updated quarterly.

I think you would have reasonable case against the supplier under the Trades Descriptions Act which states that It is an offence to apply a false trade description to goods, or to supply goods to which a false trade description is applied

The fact that the product was cheap is completely irrelevant to this case. The law still requires that the goods are accurately described.

If you are not happy with the quality of the goods then you can return them and ask for a refund or compensation. If you are happy with the hardware (and it sounds like a fairly good deal overall) then you may want to try and get some money as compensation out of them. It is likely that they would only offer a full refund rather than compensation.

If they are unwilling to make a deal with you then take the matter to your local trading standards.

Good luck!
Glynned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy,

I did already get some money back, £30 (see posts elsewhere in this forum).

I am happy with the package as a whole and really not bothered about going to Trading Standards etc. I have got the latest Mitac pda for £220 and I'm pleased with it.

I knew from research I had done that it was a good package overall, the software I hadn't heard of, but as I said it compares very well to Navamans offering, so I'm not complaining. It would just be nice to import poi's. But hey it's £170 cheaper than the Navman Pin 300, with a faster processor and the latest PPC Software and probably as much support and upgrade paths. I just hope that if anything does go wrong with it Lidle will sort it out.

Glynned
Porter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Product Sold with outdated Map Data? Reply with quote

I've just had a reply from Map and Guide which claims the Falk map data is much more recent:

"I can confirm that you bought one of the most up-to-date packages on the market. The first release of the Falk Navigator Premium Edition was in the LIDL promotion.

The application is mastered 8th of October 2004. You can check this under settings -> version.

If you want to check the date of the cab file, please find it under: C:\Programme\Falk Navigator Premium Edition\Pda_view\PocketPC It is named FalkNavigatorL_UK.ppc30_arm and also dated same day.

Also a new map with major roads was created for the Falk Navigator PE (10/2004). As we update the NAVTEQ database every 6 month, we can guarantee you that in all current software packages you are buying, the map data is between 3-12 month old (12 month at the end of the product circle). That is one of our strength in that difficult market.

The next map update will be released 4/2005. Than you can buy updates on our web-shop. www.mapandguide.com/navigator

For sure we are happy about your navigational feedback. Map problems we are collecting and reporting it direct to NAVTEQ. Software problems for sure we try to fix in the next version"
SpaceCadet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: lidl bundle - falk software! Reply with quote

Hi

If the Falk software is as recent as they state how come it only recognises old postcodes before they changed a couple of years ago - wonder how much the update will be!

Does anybody know how to download POI into this software as the ones on the Falk website are useless?

Cheers

P.S I rang Lidl before Xmas & complained that the software was out of date but they never bothered to get back to me!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: