Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Falk can't find GPS receiver after re-installation.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Falk can't find GPS receiver after re-installation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beholder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Falk can't find GPS receiver after re-installation. Reply with quote

You guys obviously know what you're talking about - I only hope you can help me.

I've always wanted a satnav and a PDA so I went to Aldis and bought the MyGuide 6500XL PDA. It was as good as I expected and I even used the Falk navigation software to get me around a huge jam on the M6 Northbound. I just pulled off the Motorway when I saw the delay warning signs and it took me around the hold-up and I rejoined the M6 further north. It was dark and raining and I had no idea where I was, but I put my faith in it and just followed the voice. I was very impressed.

However, a week later, I was foolish enough to install a couple of free download games I found. They worked fine but when I next ran Falk it hung on the startup screen. Further inspection showed that the use of the main memory and the flash disk had gone right down. So I had to assume it had been "displaced" by the new games - (which were tiny things - only a couple of megs). Anyway, something had stopped working.

I installed the desktop Falk (from the CD) and then reinstalled the navigator software onto my PDA. Now it behaves as before except that the shortcut on the PDA menu is in CAPITALS, I lost all my favourite destinations and, most importantly, it can no longer detect a GPS receiver, whereas it did before. I notice that you've said that it should find it on COM2 at 4800, but when it's searching, the scan only shows it's looking at COM1 and COM9 (all speeds).

The "Further Settings" option on the Falk settings screen is a mystery as it doesn't have any choices other than a couple of drop down lists for port and speed. These are reading COM2 and 4800, but it still doesn’t force the search to check them. Yes, I've walked around outside looking for a signal, but I fear I may have done more damage than I thought by simply installing a Tetris look-alike. Am I just being impatient? When I took it out of the box it behaved perfectly. Now, I wish I hadn't done anything with it. It sure knocks your confidence.

Can anyone shed any light on these happenings? I need all the help I can get.

P.S. I installed Outlook for the Active Sync but realised after that I can access the files direct and as I don't want synchro, I deinstalled it. Is this important?

Dennis.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the GPS hardware on your system is actually on SP2:, not COM2:

In future, the first thing to try if you hit a problem is a soft reset - that is, poke the reset hole or button without pressing anything else. It's equivalent to rebooting a PC, and solves the vast majority of problems.

I doubt that having Outlook installed or not installed makes any difference, though if you make any use of Pocket Outlook (or anything on the Pocket PC that uses the Pocket Outlook databases, such as Pocket Informant), I urge you to synchronise the data to Outlook. If you don't, and you lose your Pocket PC, the data is gone for ever.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: