Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thinking of moving to 2610/20
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of moving to 2610/20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcuskeeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Thinking of moving to 2610/20 Reply with quote

Having owned and totally dependant on my Streetpilot III for two years, I find myself at a crossroads.

It still works well and I have both UK & USA coverage software which is great.
The lure of a new toy is strong at the moment but I wonder if it's really worth the money and hassle to change.

So, here are the questions:

1 ) Map info comes on a Microdrive with the 26xx series. Do I get backups of that ? What happens when [not if] the microdrive dies ? Can I back it up myself ?

2 ) If I buy the USA map package, does that also come on a Microdrive ? If not, is there room enough on the existing Microdrive to take both UK & States ?

3 ) Is it worth me upgrading [sic] at all ?

Hope you guys can offer order to my chaos.

Marcus
Smile
Rich2620
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Great question Reply with quote

You asked a great question, I asked a similar one, but alas no response either. Wish I could help, but I'm new at this, have had the 2620 less than a week. I was wondering if there was a way to route plan on the PC, and then download it to the Garmin via USB cable. Maybe Garmin can answer these questions. I'll ask them and get back whenever I can.
Rich
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Great question Reply with quote

Rich2620 wrote:
You asked a great question, I asked a similar one, but alas no response either.

Sorry Rich, didn't see your message. Hopefully this will answer your questions as well as Marcus's.

Marcuskeeler wrote:
1 ) Map info comes on a Microdrive with the 26xx series. Do I get backups of that ? What happens when [not if] the microdrive dies ? Can I back it up myself ?

Only on the 2620 and 2660. 2660 is basically a 2650 which needs to be professional installed but comes with a 2gb hard drive. The 2620 is basically the 2610 with 2Gb MicroDrive. The 2610 comes with a regular CF card.

Marcuskeeler wrote:
2 ) If I buy the USA map package, does that also come on a Microdrive ? If not, is there room enough on the existing Microdrive to take both UK & States ?

If you purchase the US version of the 2620 then it will come with a pre-installed hard disk and US maps. In theory there would probably be room to install both US and UK maps, but you would need to talk to Garmin to see if this is physically possible.

Marcuskeeler wrote:
3 ) Is it worth me upgrading [sic] at all ?

You basically have two options. Stick with the SPIII and buy the largest Garmin memory card you can find, or buy multiples and then purchase the latest CityNavigator and this should suffice with the newer maps, or purchase the newer model.

The SP2600 series is much better when compared to the SPIII Deluxe, and I have reviewed both here on the website. The main advantages of the 2600 is the remote control, touch screen, faster processor and larger storage space.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: