Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anybody actually using TMC data on their PDAs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody actually using TMC data on their PDAs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Anybody actually using TMC data on their PDAs? Reply with quote

So, there are now two products that support TMC data for the UK (support within Europe has been around for a while) for use on PDAs (Navigon Business Mobile Navigator and Alturion 5 Professional).

Is anyone here actually using either product alongside TMC data? How do you find it? Is it worthwhile having the traffic information? How accurate is it?

Steve
(trying to establish whether it is actually worth the additional cost)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there are many more than 2 products, but most of these are dedicated in-car systems.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you ignore the bit in paranthesis it says "there are now two products that support TMC data for the UK for use on PDAs" :D

Although, to be honest, I'm interested in people's opinions of TMC, whether using a PDA or a dedicated SatNav system...

Steve
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two GPS systems in different cars. One is TomTom on an IpAQ. The other is a dedicated VDO-Dayton unit with RDS.

I have used RDS since it became available in the UK (about 2 years). I have to say I have very mixed feelings. In my opinion the problem with RDS is in the timeliness and quality of information gathering.

I have found it useful as an indication and not 100% reliable. More useful for long term problems (eg tailbacks from roadworks) than for temporary problems (eg 5mile tailback caused by a motorway incident)

So I have avoided an "incident" and gone cross country - only to see at a distance that the eg motorway is entirely clear and I've wasted time. OTOH of course, I've got struck in a jam which appears not especially recent, with no mention on RDS.

Other times it works!

My current opinion is that no system can be expected to be perfect, but my experience of RDS is so far short of perfect that I question whether it is worth bothering...

In the distant past, I used a standalone Trafficmaster system. This is far more credible, because they have a system of roadside speed monitors which cover most main roads and can broadcast information within minutes. Now if this information could be shown on TomTom I would be interested.

Of course (before anyone jumps in!) Trafficmaster requires a subscription and RDS doesn't.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback - so it's basically quite good, but not perfect.

I am investigating PDA solutions which include traffic information, hence my general interest in what people think of the RDS-TMC data in general. As for TomTom, the general rumours are that they will include TMC support at some point this year, simply as two of their main competitors (*) in mainland Europe now support it.

I've used various Trafficmaster units over the years...

Oracle - voice unit, built into car
YQ (both pre and post upgrade to primary route network) - screen unit
Small AA/Vodafone 1800 unit - led screen

I mainly use the last one now (and it's subscription free too, which is nice!) but it only provides up to 3 junctions / 15 miles of information, whereas I did like the YQ and it's ability to show me the detail for the full length of the journey.

TM saved me many hours stuck in traffic, and if stuck, you had a nice indication of the amount of delay you were likely to suffer.

I'll mention as a last point that Trafficmaster are a member of the TMC Forum, maybe one day they will offer a commercial (subscription) RDS-TMC service combining the best of both worlds!

Steve

(*) Some of the independent German reviews state Navigon sells more copies of their software than TomTom, although not all Navigon products support TMC
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone has a mobile phone nowadays, what's the general opinion on "trafficline" type services which are available from the mobile networks?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a similar setup over GPRS using http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/pocket-live-wire.php it's not TMC but does give you traffic information.

Last edited by Dave on Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Trafficline services use the Trafficmaster data, and hence are nice and fast at reflecting the traffic conditions, however, I've not used them much due to normally having access to the same information without a phone call.

As for Pocket Live Wire (and the link doesn't work btw) as it neither integrates the data into the SatNav program, or filters the information based on the current location (which are the same issues with Traffic-i), it's not as useful as it could be for me. But I do agree, it's a nice solution for providing the information to the user, and has potential to be developed further into an integrated service.
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erintech wrote:
I have two GPS systems in different cars. One is TomTom on an IpAQ. The other is a dedicated VDO-Dayton unit with RDS.

I have used RDS since it became available in the UK (about 2 years). I have to say I have very mixed feelings. In my opinion the problem with RDS is in the timeliness and quality of information gathering.

Erintech, are you talking about TMC on RDS, or are you talking about RDS with TA signalling. The way you describe it, it sounds like you are talking about the later as that is the same as my experiences. I think TMC works brilliantly, just waiting for my wife to approve and I'll get it on my PDA.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, I expect that there is a world of difference between RDS-TA (traffic announcements on the radio) and RDS-TMC (direct data feed of traffic issues).
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejongj wrote:
Erintech wrote:

Erintech, are you talking about TMC on RDS, or are you talking about RDS with TA signalling. The way you describe it, it sounds like you are talking about the later as that is the same as my experiences. I think TMC works brilliantly, just waiting for my wife to approve and I'll get it on my PDA.

Err... well I thought I was talking about TMC on RDS. Symbols appear on the display, depicting a delay, or a car on its side etc. When I select and click, a text box displays something like "delays A50 Subbury -> Stoke due to accident" or whatever.

All very good and clever, except that it's often wrong/out of date. Or missing alltogether.

Sorry if I seem a bit picky, but if we are going to pay for technology to help us navigate our overcrowded roads, it ought to be credible rather than a timewasting gimmick!
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejongj wrote:
Erintech wrote:

Err... well I thought I was talking about TMC on RDS. Symbols appear on the display, depicting a delay, or a car on its side etc. When I select and click, a text box displays something like "delays A50 Subbury -> Stoke due to accident" or whatever.

All very good and clever, except that it's often wrong/out of date. Or missing alltogether.

Sorry if I seem a bit picky, but if we are going to pay for technology to help us navigate our overcrowded roads, it ought to be credible rather than a timewasting gimmick!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's RDS-TMC.

Steve
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Steve has already noted, yep that is RDS-TMC.

And no I don't think you are picky. If it is out-of-date or too late than it is of no use. My main experiences are within Holland regarding TMC, I hope soon I can see whether it is any good in the UK.

Though you experiences are not encouraging...
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a possible business model issue with RDS-TMC. I'm not surprised that the information is found to be imperfect, as unless I'm mistaken, the information is broadcast free of charge. Maybe you need other information to make proper use of what is broadcast free, and that is chargeable - I haven't studied the workings of TMC.

Personally, I am not that tempted to plough a lot of money into a TMC based setup. I'd prefer it if someone released a system that allowed you to access traffic data over GPRS - I wouldn't have thought that the data transfer added up to that much even if used all day every day, and I already have all the necessary hardware. After all, you can access the data in a fairly intelligent way, only bothering to retrieve traffic data that is relevant for the route you're using and routes nearby. I believe some versions of CoPilot do this in some areas.

Obviously if the Trafficmaster data is being used, there will be a charge for using the data - but traffic data has to be accurate and promptly updated to be any use. Free data that is incorrect or misleading is probably worse than useless, as it will lead you (or your navigation system) into wrong decisions.

You can view the ITIS traffic data online on Navtech maps free of charge - click the "LIVE Traffic Information site" link at http://www.itisholdings.com then, when you've zoomed in a bit, click "View traffic information" under the map. I guess this may be the exact same data going out via RDS-TMC on Classic FM.

Earlier today, I made a side by side comparison with Trafficmaster - I have a user name and password for trafficmaster.net (it's just under 9 pounds per quarter for personal use; unfortunately it uses Flash and requires so much memory that I just couldn't make it work on Pocket Internet Explorer even with the latest Flash plug-in).

The ITIS data seemed to have useful detail about 'fixed' problems, such as roadworks and temporary road/lane/exit closures - but seemed to be less comprehensive about the more dynamic hold-ups. For example, the A41 roadworks in the Hendon area are shown on the ITIS data as roadworks and a contraflow. Trafficmaster was showing 5 mph - so there was obviously some significant hold-up there.

There were also some hold-ups on the A5 in Dunstable showing on Trafficmaster - but nothing on the ITIS system. If that road is snarled up, it can have significant consequences for traffic in south and mid Bedfordshire.

My impression is that there was some delay in updating the ITIS data, whereas Trafficmaster seems to update pretty quickly (Trafficmaster are pretty proud of their network and talk lots about it - not least so that their data has commercial value!). Trafficmaster also give an estimate of how long a delay will be, or the recommendation "Avoid", which means significant delay or the road is actually closed.

My comparison is based on one snapshot, however - so it's neither rigorous nor a proper comparative review. Maybe others with similar access to Trafficmaster data might like to try this comparison and see what they think.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: