Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman PiN 300 or Not?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman PiN 300 or Not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GizmoMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Navman PiN 300 or Not? Reply with quote

New Member (so be gentle with me!) I know I'm probably behind the times, but I'm going to be buying my very first PDA and GPS soon. This in mind, I'd love to hear the opinions of others.

First and foremost, I don't "do" wires and cables and stuff. Secondly, the concept of having a PDA and GPS all in one unit appeals greatly. Thirdly, I'd like a GPS that works both in the car and on foot. And fourthly, I've not got oodles of cash to spend.

Now here's my thought (taking all of the above into consideration). A Navman PiN 300 with the new SmartST V3 software. I've noticed something called a Mitac Mio 168 which appears to be the same thing re-badged, but I believe the processor is less powerful, i.e. around 266MHz as opposed to the Navman's 300MHz.

Obviously I'm open to suggestions of other makes/models which is why I'm posting this contribution. The slight reservations I have about buying the Navman PiN 300 is that 300MHz doesn't seem particularly powerful given that Michael Dell's Axim X30 has a 620MHz+ processor inside. The other rerservation being that I would want maps for my GPS for Australia as well as the UK, and I've been unable to find ANY sites on the Internet that appear to retail maps of Oz for the Navman PiN 300.

Maybe I'm asking for too much? But I'd welcome and value your input either way.

Cheers for now. :D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome (and I try to be gentle - let me know how I fare)

Maps are not targeted at a particular device, they are specific to a program. You won't find Oz maps for the Mitac Mio - you get Oz maps for CoPilot, for SmartST, etc. And since these programs run on pretty much any Windows Mobile Pocket PC you can also run them on the Mio, oops, Navman PiN.

Navman themselves are based in Kiwi land, so they will most definitely also sell Oz maps . For example here http://www.navman.com/go/aus/index.html

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a "no wires" solution the Mitac 168 would be perfect, and runs at 300MHz. I use this with CoPilot5 in the car for navigation, the only wire being the power supply into the cigar lighter.

When on foot, I use MemoryMap and have both the LondonA-Z and paritial Ordnance Survey maps loaded onto a 512Mb SD card. As I walk around, the Mitac indicates exactly where I am.

This was my first PDA and I am now discovering how many other uses it has, and how many programs are available for it. It is a very good MP3 player, only limited by the size of the SD card but 512Mb is now so cheap you could have a collection of them. Other things I run on the PDA are: Family History, Stocks & Shares, Newsreader for newsgroups, eBooks, photo album, night sky map, and a load of small utilities for endless tweaking.

There are thousands of free (or very inexpensive) programs available for PDAs which cover every conceivable interest, and every forum member will have his/her own suggestions. There is even a program which will convert DVDs into a compressed format suitable for PDAA playback!

Good luck with your decision!
kevwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is possibly too late as they are all sold out locally, but if you have a Lidl store locally, see if you can get a Myguide 6500XL

Basically a PIN 300 without the Navman soft, instead it uses the quite good Falk Software and also runs at 400 Mhz

Kev

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: