Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using TomTom Go for walking?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using TomTom Go for walking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Using TomTom Go for walking? Reply with quote

I have just bought a TTG for in-car navigation, but would be interested in also using it to navigate when walking on unmapped moorland etc.

Is there any way in which a TTG can be used like a conventional GPS for displaying the compass bearing and distance of a specified waypoint (POI) from the current position?

If not, does anyone feel that this would be a useful feature to request in a future software release? Even better if it could maps tracks and forests etc. in national parks such as the Lake District, Peak District or New Forest.

Regards,
Roger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GO is specifically designed for street navigation. It is not suited for what you want to do off road. It's also a little too bulky to be carried around.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware that it was designed for street navigation - but when you pay 400 quid for a device, you want it to do as much as possible - rather than having to purchase seperate devices for other navigational applications!

Whilst it is certaining a bit bigger and heavier than a conventional GPS, it *could* be carried in a walker's pocket to get a fix when lost.

If it had a bit more general navigation capability it could be used in-car by off-roaders - or even in a boat to navigate from A to B over open water. Any such capability would then be useful to walkers.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that kind of thing either a hand-held mapping GPS or a PDA with Memory-Map would be best.

If that's what you wanted it to do then it would've been worth doing a bit more research. A PDA with GPS and TomTom could have been had for the same price as the GO (maybe even cheaper), and would also have given the ability to load memory-map and so on, giving a good multi-functional device.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the principal requirement was for an all-in-one in-car device for which a PDA with bolt-on bits would have been less good.

However, that doesn't stop me also saying " wouldn't it be nice if . . ." etc.

If enough people think this way, who knows what might appear in future software releases!

I'm sure that, at the moment, Tomtom can sell all they can make. However, there may well come a time when they need a few more bells and whistles in order to keep ahead.

I am simply trying to flag up possible functionality extensions which they may care to consider.
VeloVenom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: se Tom Tom Go for Walking? Reply with quote

Last week I returned from Zeebrugge on the North Sea Ferry to Hull. As I was in an outside cabin I placed The Tom- Tom go on the window ledge and was able to check the progress of the ship across the North sea. The speed was showing as 18mph and the progress up the Humber was facinating to watch. This proves that you would never be lost at sea as long as you have the correct map installed. With the Map of Europe selected the coastline was readilly visible both sides of the crossing.

Graham
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTG will show your current position in Lat & Long. With a good map - never lost.

TomK
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
No, the principal requirement was for an all-in-one in-car device for which a PDA with bolt-on bits would have been less good.

However, that doesn't stop me also saying " wouldn't it be nice if . . ." etc.

If enough people think this way, who knows what might appear in future software releases!

I'm sure that, at the moment, Tomtom can sell all they can make. However, there may well come a time when they need a few more bells and whistles in order to keep ahead.

I am simply trying to flag up possible functionality extensions which they may care to consider.

Fair point - it WOULD be good if TomTom (both PDA and GO) were cabable of reading other types of maps, so it could be used walking/off-roading/sailing/flying etc.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't suppose you asked it to navigate you to a point on the mainland whilst at sea, did you?

I would be interested to know what it would do under those circumstances.

Whilst it can tell you where you *are*, I'm not sure that it can tell you how to get somewhere else when there are no roads to drive along.
VeloVenom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't suppose you asked it to navigate you to a point on the mainland whilst at sea, did you?
Quote:

No point in asking it to navigate to the mainland, as it would be just a matter of heading to your Port of choice shown on the map.

Tom Tom was at the time navigaing me home, I had previously set the route which included the ferry trip.

gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
I am aware that it was designed for street navigation - but when you pay 400 quid for a device, you want it to do as much as possible - rather than having to purchase seperate devices for other navigational applications!

Whilst it is certaining a bit bigger and heavier than a conventional GPS, it *could* be carried in a walker's pocket to get a fix when lost.

If it had a bit more general navigation capability it could be used in-car by off-roaders - or even in a boat to navigate from A to B over open water. Any such capability would then be useful to walkers.

As the TT Go IS a GPS Receiver, i can't see why it's not possible to have OFF-ROAD maps.

Unless this has already being thought of by TomTom for future release
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomK wrote:
TTG will show your current position in Lat & Long. With a good map - never lost.

TomK

It would be nice if it could be switched to show OS Grid co-ordinates. Finding Lat & Long on a map isn't always very easy!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go is sold as a street navigation device. TomTom software on the Pocket PC doesn't do some of the things mentioned here - such as working with OSGB positions.

If you want to use your setup for walking, you'd be better off with a Bluetooth Pocket PC, a Bluetooth GPS and software such as Memory Map 2004 (as well as TomTom Navigator 3 or similar for street navigation use). The alternative would be a Mitac Mio 168 and TomTom Navigator 3 - which, by the time you've bought an SD card, probably costs around the same as a Go.

It is highly unlikely you're going to see any of the capabilities wished for here on Go. It's a proprietary platform running a customised Linux kernel, and it's built to run the TomTom street navigation software supplied with it and not anything else.

If you want a general purpose device, buy a general purpose device. I appreciate the argument that all the necessary hardware is there for other applications, but Go was never designed to be an extendable platform from a software point of view.

David
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Go is sold as a street navigation device. TomTom software on the Pocket PC doesn't do some of the things mentioned here - such as working with OSGB positions.

If you want to use your setup for walking, you'd be better off with a Bluetooth Pocket PC, a Bluetooth GPS and software such as Memory Map 2004 (as well as TomTom Navigator 3 or similar for street navigation use). The alternative would be a Mitac Mio 168 and TomTom Navigator 3 - which, by the time you've bought an SD card, probably costs around the same as a Go.

It is highly unlikely you're going to see any of the capabilities wished for here on Go. It's a proprietary platform running a customised Linux kernel, and it's built to run the TomTom street navigation software supplied with it and not anything else.

If you want a general purpose device, buy a general purpose device. I appreciate the argument that all the necessary hardware is there for other applications, but Go was never designed to be an extendable platform from a software point of view.

David

It may well be sold as a street navigation device, but all you need is "Software".

So i emailed TomTom, and they do say " It IS POSSIBLE" to do this in the future.

Here's the reply,

Dear Mr.*************,

Thank you for your question regarding TomTom Go.At the moment as you are aware this function is not possible with TomTom Go but it is indeed a very good suggestion and we will pass your suggestion on to our software developers to include in our TomTom Go product in the near future as we look to expand the usability of our product.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

DavidW wrote:
It's a proprietary platform running a customised Linux kernel, and it's built to run the TomTom street navigation software supplied with it and not anything else.

So it looks as though this proprietary platform is capable of running other software.

DavidW wrote:
but Go was never designed to be an extendable platform from a software point of view. .

Seemingly it
Is Designed to be Extendable platform

I thank TomTom for their quick reply to my email. Copy available to anybody.
mjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: More Information Reply with quote

Just a thought, from the status display you can view lat and long, so you have 2 options, mark your maps with lat and long, or use a program to convert them to OSGB. It's probably not what u want to hear but, at the end of the day it's a door to door device for in the car. A good OSGB device is the Garmin etrex, for about 80 quid! I use it a lot for off road stuff in and out of car and it's an angel. I wouldn't expect the TTG to be too rugged in the outdoors in the rain and after being dropped a few times who knows (the etrex bounces pretty well!).

All the Best!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: