Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cogsinister wrote:
Has anyone got a call back from Lidl yet as they promised about the missing 512 meg sd card ?

I was told "within 24 hours" its 24 hours now and no call Sad

Same here, the only thing that gets me is that no one at Lidll picked up on this before releasing this product.

However for jimmy_d, I would still recommend getting this package from Lidl, and as RickH stated Falk is fine to begin with.
Cogsinister
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl just phoned and offered me a cheque for £30.....i took up the offer....i can buy a 512 meg sd card from scan next time i order somthing...

Not a bad result ......
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yep just got the call as well

Offer £60 Cheque (I Got 2 units),

Fair enough, can't fault them for that, at least they didn't just say tough if you don't like it take it back for a refund,

Wonder what % of people will actually realise they can get this from them?

Richard
Cogsinister
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickH wrote:
Hi,

Wonder what % of people will actually realise they can get this from them?

Richard

Hard to say, i reckon most buyers will not realise that you can get 30 quid back for what was an error in the layout of lidls ad.....

It just makes the package even better value for us forum-savvy gps buying folks Smile
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl rock baby - just got a phone call from a very apologetic CSA (customer service adviser) and sending me a refund for £30, very impressive customer services! Laughing
Anyway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
got two questions:
1. Any word from Lidl that the 256 MB chips have to be returned?
2. The Medion 95000 Aldi bundle sold in Germany suffered from the "Northing-Problem", i.e. when you had to stop at a crossing, the map was turned to have noth upwards and your current position sometimes was put in another street of that crossing, resulting in funny but wrong turn-to instructions.

Anybody observed the same behavior with the Lidl bundle or does the map remain in the last driven direction when stopping at a crossing (as expected)?

Cheers
Anyway
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anyway,

The Lidl Description was for a 256Mb Chip and a 512Mb one, the £30 compensation is to buy a 512Mb SD card, they don't expect you to return the 256Mb one (They are being very generous and helpful, and have not even asked for proof of purchase, taking people who have complained on thier honor, a rare act of trust these days)

As for the northing problem, the software package with the Lidl bundle is totally different than the package offered with the Aldi bundle, and that would be a software error so not likely to occur with the Lidl bundle (Certainly does not appear on the unit with TT3 installed)

Richard
Anyway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
thanks for your reply.
The northing problem has been identified to be related to the firmware of the PPC, so there is a chance that the MyGuide has the same hard- and firmware and hence also the same problem.

Joachim
streetbum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickH wrote:
I have not looked into the Speed Camera and POI side of Falk,

But the Falk Software is actually Marcopolo which is used on some of the other systems, so a search here for Marcopolo might help with that,

The Copyrights on the CD Packages read

(C) 2004 Map&Guide GMBH, Falk.Marcopolo.Interactive, Navteq

That may help in the search for the info you need

Richard

I have used both Falk Navigator and MarcoPolo on these pocket pc's, even though the software is the same (apart different pic on the front end) i found that the falk software to be buggy.
1. takes forever to find the satelites
2. goes to sleep whenever it feels like it.

But the MarcoPolo software works perfect everytime, i can't fault it.
Maybe somebody did sloppy coding when it was being 'rebadged'

As for putting the Gatso database into it ... i asked about this months ago and was told it couldn't be done. (sounds like a challenge to me ... somebody prove it can be done)

Pete.
Roamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Northing problem Reply with quote

Hi Have been test driving Myguide 6500 for the past 3 days. Every thing looks ok. The only problem I face is that when 'a inside the house and search for sattellites, it does not find any, how ever, works ok when I am out on the street. The only problem is, when i stop at the traffic lights, occassionlly , it askes me turn left, though the map correctly indicates that i need to turn right!!. It has happened just 2 times in about 7 or 8 of my journeys. Need to talk to customer services about the 512 SD card. Went to the local shop, the manager just said it should have been a printing error!!. So will talk to customer services today.
Anyway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only problem I face is that when 'a inside the house and search for sattellites, it does not find any

That is normal to have no reception inside the house. There should be visible contact between the the satellites and the receiver.

Quote:
The only problem is, when i stop at the traffic lights, occassionlly , it askes me turn left, though the map correctly indicates that i need to turn right

Was this in narrow streets (with possibly no visible contact to the sats)?
Did you notice that the map was twisted when you stopped?

Cheers Joachim
Roamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Lidl 6500 Reply with quote

[quote]Did you notice that the map was twisted when you stopped? /quote]
Hi Anyway I am not sure if the map was twisted!!. Does it mean something then?. Yes the problem i faced was in some narrorw streets.
Also does any one know if falk will give us access to maps as they update them? The reason I asked was, at one time, the navigator said Turn left and immediately turn right But i know that the road was a dual carriage way for the past 2 years!!, and there was no way I could have turned right with out crashing, and breaking off the divider off its place Evil or Very Mad How ever, as i drove past, it was able to recalculate a new route.
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roamer,

The Map companies charge for updates when they come out, by the time that happens you may well decide to try another package

This Falk Package in particular seems to use older map data, maybe this is how they are keeping the price down in the Lidl package by using map data that is "Past its sell by date!", I am sure the most current release of the Navteq data includes the M6Toll Road (I may be wrong), but was suprised to find this realses does dot include it,

Next time I have a proper look at it I will see if there are identifying dates on the map data,

Richard
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As To The Maps being a Little Bit Outdated!

I just checked the Falk Folder and the Maps are are dated Sept 2002

The Map Data seems to have been originally compiled for a Q4-2001 release and then modified again in Mid 2002, apart from that there are no changes to the maps the final compile date is on the Map Cab data as Sept 2002!

So the Map package is 2 years old at least, (Maybe that is why you are having problems),

Lets face it, for the price Lidl are selling the units they can't be paying much/anything for the map package!,

Richard
MikeT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too bought a Lidl Navigator last week and got on to CC about the missing 512Mb card AND the fact that the advertising showed clearly a USB external antenna, which I was going to use with my laptop and Autoroute 2004. They are getting back to me with an offer after Monday.

I am a complete newbe to PDA's and wonder if anyone has done an idiots guide to safely removing the Falk software to say the PC hard drive as backup and then installing another mapping software like Tom tom with speed camera poi?

I am amazed at how well the built in gps reciever works on my unit. Docked next to my pc in a converted garage with hardly any visible light from outside let alone sky, it manages to find enough sats for a fix.
In the car it can go almost anywhere and still function, whereas my Road angel wont lock in the garage test and needs to be up on the dash in full view of the sky to keep lock.

I cant see me needing the external antenna extender supplied with the PDA and wonder how easy it would be to mod it to use with the Road angel so I can mount that unit "in dash"?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: