Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it turned out ok in the end, before I retire however the only difference that I noticed between Falk and TOMTOM, is that Flak has a nifty "pedestrian" facility, for directing you around a city on foot rather than in the car.
I'm looking for this option on TOMTOM but can't find the damn thing, surely it's got to be there as tomtom discontinued their citymaps products...

anyone know?

Cheers.
Roamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Lidl Myguide 6500 Reply with quote

Now for a more useful question. Are there any anti virus scanning programs for the PDA?. How much can we trust all the freeware games available at http://www.freewareppc.com. Also does anybody know of any wireless card which i can use on this pocket pc for accessing internet?
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roamer

Glad to hear you got it going in the end,

As for Antivirus, must admit something I have never considered Rolling Eyes

As For Wireless, there are some good Wireless SD Cards that just slot in the SD Socket, There are combined Wireless/256Mb SD Cards , thats about the biggest I have seen, I got one in the US for $60 and it works well for wireless net access,

Hope the unit serves you well

Richard
Tincaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Falk ot Tom Tom? Reply with quote

Bought this, nice unit but the maps seem a bit basic.
As a quick test I asked it to get me home from work, couldn't find my postcode or my road and sent me 2 miles away. Went to work and it couldn't find the postcode or the road name and wanted to send me to a different postcode area about 4 miles away.
Anyone else given it a more exhaustive test yet?
Tincaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom? Reply with quote

Is it possible to "borrow" my mates Tom Tom software to see if it better than the Falk or is there more to it than just installing it?
Just want to make an informed decision before spending anymore money on software.
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom3 requires an activation code when installed on the PDA, there is no trial period at all,

If you friend has only activated it once then it will install on your system (You get 2 activations per package as standard),

But bearing in mind this will use up his last remaining activation, and if he is still using TT3 on his PDA will be a breach of the licence,

Richard
jimmy_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Like others I missed out on the Aldi deal and so when the Lidl one came out I was very interested.

It seems on balance that the package is very good except that the Falk software is seemingly untested and the very knowledgable contributors to this forum seem a bit uncertain about it.

The "problem" with a forum such as this is that the people that are really in to the subject can be over critical sometimes when it comes to how these products perform, compared to an average bloke like me in the street. But in saying that there is always good reasons behind the criticism and ultimately you tend to follow their guidance.

My question really is whether Falk is so bad that I shouldn't buy the Lidl package? I know i could always delete it and upgrade to TomTom, but i am on a budget and dont want to have to spend another £100 or so to do this.

Is it worth hanging on for an Aldi deal? Does anyone have any idea when Aldi are likely to have their offer again?

thanks.

thanks.
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy_D

Personally I would say go for the Lidl Bundle,

The Falk Software is OK, I personally am sticking with TomTom as I already have it and am used to it, but the Falk Software is functional and the pedestrian mode is good and lacking from TomTom

As A New user not used to TomTom you will find the Falk software fine

As for waiting for the Next Aldi deal, they do it about every 6 months, so there will be another deal then, but you will often find the same critisisms of the software that comes with that, and people changing to TomTom,

FOr the price the Lidl Bundle is the best to date, taking into account the better spec PDA (More memory and faster cpu), and the included external areil etc.

Give it a go you have nothing to lose if you don't like it you can return it under the no quibble gurantee so if you really on't like the Falk software you can take it back and look elsewhere,

Even without the Software the hardware bundle is a super deal at £250

Hope that helps

Richard
jimmy_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich.

Does anyone know how Falk deals with POI and speed camera updates.

I saw some dodgy german link for speed cameras but my school boy german never quite stretched to computasprechen!
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not looked into the Speed Camera and POI side of Falk,

But the Falk Software is actually Marcopolo which is used on some of the other systems, so a search here for Marcopolo might help with that,

The Copyrights on the CD Packages read

(C) 2004 Map&Guide GMBH, Falk.Marcopolo.Interactive, Navteq

That may help in the search for the info you need

Richard
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Is a Link direct to the Map&Guide Website detailing the Falk Package

The Package supplied is Falk Navigator Premium Edition and there is a fair amount of info on the site, may help you make a decision

http://195.226.122.41/tmpl/frameset_0.asp?L=EN&ID=PRV_FALKNAVIGATORPE&IE=0&CN=1

Richard
jimmy_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks once again, its really useful to have help from guys like you. cheers.
Cogsinister
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got a call back from Lidl yet as they promised about the missing 512 meg sd card ?

I was told "within 24 hours" its 24 hours now and no call Sad
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I tried again about an hour ago, and was told it was with the MD for a solution and callbacks would be by end of business today,

I am going to give them till 4.30 then hassle them again!

Richard
Cogsinister
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickH wrote:
Hi

I tried again about an hour ago, and was told it was with the MD for a solution and callbacks would be by end of business today,

I am going to give them till 4.30 then hassle them again!

Richard

I was just told the same.......head office are mulling the problem over, seems to be a well known item for people to call the customer services line about, i just mentioned the gps pda and the girl on the phone said right away "is it about the memory card ?"

Let us know how you get on....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: