Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is my TomTom wired GPS a dud?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is my TomTom wired GPS a dud?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanLawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Is my TomTom wired GPS a dud? Reply with quote

After having my second TT BT receiver fail recently (being replaced - waiting for stock) I decided to get a wired version to use whilst I wait and also to keep in the car as a backup if TT BT #3 dies prematurely!

Got one on e-bay for a decent price but I think it is a dud! I wonder if anyone can confirm for me.

When I plug it into my TT car kit I get a flashing red/orange (can't distinguish exactly what it is!) light on the receiver. The receiver indicates that it is talking to TT GPS but there is no indication of satellites being found.

I then started up WinFast Naviagator and saw that the receiver is sending out data but there are no satellites being locked onto. In the Signal Level view all I get is one satellite (red dot) on the furthest North point. This will change to different satellite numbers and the data under the AZ, EI and CN columns is always zero.

In TT I already reset the GPS to my known position to help it along but it didn't help.

After leaving it on for long enough (15+ mins) it does finally get a fix on satellites but if I then leave it off for a while and come back to it, it's back to the very, very long acquisition.

I managed to get a friend's TT wired GPS to compare and I plugged it in, the green light flashed on that one and I got a fix within 30 secs so it's definitely a receiver problem.

Is it the battery inside that's dodgy and losing all the Almanac and Ephemeris data that it had logged? - or something else. It would be handy to know so that I can contact the seller armed with a good idea with what's wrong wih it to then see the best way to resolve it.

Thanks

Duncan
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave the wired GPS running for a couple of hours (long enough to download and store a complete almanac) before getting worried about the possibility of internal battery failure.

David
DuncanLawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, will try that first.

Haven't been on a long enough journey yet to give it that sort of time on charge!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking further - there's a possibility that the internal battery is rechargeable (I haven't checked it personally), in which case a really long journey will definitely help matters.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: