Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom holding on to Bluetooth Com port
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom holding on to Bluetooth Com port
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d3f3nd3r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: TomTom holding on to Bluetooth Com port Reply with quote

I got a reg fix of this site ages ago on how to stop TomTom from holding onto the BT com port but I have searched and can't find it. Can any remember what it was?

I upgraded the rom on my Ipaq so I've lost all my settings.

Thanks in advance!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BtBrowserEnabled = 0

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
d3f3nd3r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to double check - I want to use 2 different apps on my PDA - Memory Map and TomTom. When I have TomTom installed Memory Map can't connect to the GPS at all. Will this setting stop TomTom from grabbing hold of the Bluetooth Comport?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of TomTom GPS have you installed? 2.07 and earlier don't have the 'hanging on to the port' problem - and I think 3.03 and later don't have it either, but I'm less sure of that. Unfortunately I don't have a Bluetooth GPS to hand to check.

If you have this problem, going to Remove Programs (Settings screen, System tab), selecting "TomTom ~ GPS" and tapping Remove, then accepting the mandatory soft reset should remove the interfering driver. It takes a second uninstall (which you don't want to do if you use TomTom software) to remove the rest of TomTom GPS.

The setting that Lutz mentions is, if I remember rightly, the one that gets rid of asking you to choose which serial device you want to connect to.

David
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:

The setting that Lutz mentions is, if I remember rightly, the one that gets rid of asking you to choose which serial device you want to connect to.

David

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=96903

Yes it's supposed to but I could not get the reg hack to work
This program did it for me though !
dave
d3f3nd3r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the fix refered to isn't the one I am after. I am using 3.03 and it still holds on to the comm port.

A few months back there used to be a sticky post that told you to change a registry setting but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I have looked all over the registry and can't find it either.

The fix I need is to stop TT3 from holding the comm port for itself. Not the one about selecting the bluetooth device. Any ideas?
d3f3nd3r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the fix refered to isn't the one I am after. I am using 3.03 and it still holds on to the comm port.

A few months back there used to be a sticky post that told you to change a registry setting but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I have looked all over the registry and can't find it either.

The fix I need is to stop TT3 from holding the comm port for itself. Not the one about selecting the bluetooth device. Any ideas?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fix you want is to uninstall "TomTom ~GPS" from the PDA (not the PC and active synch) which does not actually remove the GPS engine. Only do this uninstall once as the second uninstall will usually remove the GPS engine and require it to be installed again.
d3f3nd3r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it! This is what I was after:

1. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\SerialX, were X is the BT com port for your device
2. Click in the "Value Dll" and in the button "edit button". Change the value to "BtCeIf.dll".
3. Do a soft reset to the IPAQ.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is basically the same thing that an uninstall of the TomTom ~GPS driver would do, unless you try to uninstall it while it is in use.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Lutz and I have both said, a single remove of "TomTom ~ GPS" would have achieved the same thing without registry editing.

As a postscript to this, installing GPS 3.07 on an iPAQ hx4700 doesn't change the value in the first place - though it does change it on an iPAQ h3970. I wonder if this is because TomTom GPS doesn't recognise the hx4700 as a Broadcom (Widcomm - though Widcomm have been bought out by Broadcom) Bluetooth stack device, or because the hx4700 uses a later version of the stack than TomTom GPS feels it's able to patch.

For what it's worth, the hx4700 reports:

Bluetooth for Windows CE
BT-PPC Version 1.5.0 Build 2000

Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Broadcom Corporation
All Rights reserved
http://www.broadcom.com

and all the components are version 1.5.0.2000

David
GeoffH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this post while searching for a fix to my problem, I have a iPAQ 4150 + GobalSat BT-318 Bluetooth receiver + TomTom 3.01 which works perfectly. I wanted to try out the Medion Navigator 2004 program, which has a couple of features that TomTom doesn’t have, and run both programs on the iPAQ (not at the same time) but the COM port is locked to TomTom. Can I just uninstall the TomTom 3.01 GPS driver and install the 2.06 GPS driver to fix this problem, or would that just screw up TomTom which is work just fine
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, removing the 3.01 GPS driver and reinstalling 2.06 or 2.07 will help.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
GeoffH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for info, have installed 2.06 and both program's now see the GPS signal, the Com6 port that was missing in the drop down menu in Medion Navigator is now there, just need a test drive tomorrow to make sure both program's work ok
SimonO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Cannot uninstall TomTom Driver 3.07 Reply with quote

I'm trying to get rid of the TomTom 3.07 Bluetooth drivers so I can install 2.07 amd then use GPS with my Memory Map software on my Dell Axim X30. I'm having problems.

I tried going to 'Remove Programs' and selecting 'TomTom ~GPS' and pressing 'Remove' but got message saying:

'Uninstall unsuccessful. The program was not removed because these files are in use or are read-only. Tap Start > Settings > System tab >Memory > Running Programs tab > Stop All and try again

It listed this as the offending program

\Windows\ttgpseng.exe

I did what it suggested but it repeatedly failed in the same way.

Any suggestions?

Also, once its gone, how do I install 2.06. I have the downloaded .zip file which contains a setup.exe. Do I just run it and resynchronize?

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: