Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iCN 510 Experiences
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iCN 510 Experiences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JChew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: iCN 510 Experiences Reply with quote

Problem 1: I get incomplete house numbers during destination searches.

Destination-Address-State-Town-Road, >>incomplete house number range

Example - California-San Francisco-39th Avenue, >>house number range 2100-2898.

What happened to the other 1700 house numbers? The house numbers should start at around 400. This is true for 10th Avenue to 48th Avenue. The only way I can get the right house number is if I entered the location zip code or I manually navigate by house number on the map until I find the right house.

One exception to the problem describe above is when searching for house number 1530 on 47th Avenue. I can enter the house number, but the search page comes up blank. If I simply press enter without putting any numbers, I get a house number range of 1900-2798. Again, I am missing a bunch of house numbers.

Problem 2: Cannot view 3D map of location using "Show" function.

After entering an address, I press ''Show'' to see the location on the map in 2D. I can zoom and move around, but when I press the ''Page'' key, I only see the 3D view momentarily before automatically reverting back to a view of the current location on the map.

Problem 3: POI icons come and go by itself.

Often times, the 3D map will display POI's even when the ''Show Icons on Map'' box is not checked. Switching back and forth between 2D and 3D a few times fixes the problem.

Problem 4: Unusually short battery life.

A fully charged battery only provides about 2 hours of continuous navigation with the brightness set to one step above minimum. Some places claim 4hrs. Navman publication claims 6-8hrs. What is the battery life for standby?

Problem 5: POI text too big to read.
Example - San Francisco International Airport comes up as San Francisco Int. and sometimes just as San Francisco.

Questions:

1. Why doesn't Navman allow me to enter the exact house number?
2. What is the function of the hole under the the flip antenna? The rubber plug fell out and I can see a circuit board.
3. Is it unreasonable to ask Navman to add the ability to navigate to a location on the map by entering lat/long.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem 1 - I get the same here in the UK. Sounds like a TeleAtlas fault to me. I just find the nearest crossroad, tap onto it and use the popup menu to set that as the point I want to navigate to.

Problem 2 - Do you have Autozoom function checked? If so, the 3d map will quickly zoom right in on the area you want to look at since you are not actually moving at that moment. It's still in 3d but to analyse an area you need to be in 2d.

Problem 3 - Same problem - Bloody annoying as the speed cameras keep disappearing although the unit still warns me audibly. Tell Navman support - they need to know these things to be able to fix them with a patch.

Problem 4 - Personally, I get about 4 hrs.

Problem 5 - I agree - a real pain. Again, Navman should fix this one.

The hole under the antenna is to be able to plug in an external one.
sfi1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, what's the routing like ?
I've had loads of problems with the routing on V2 particularly abroad such as being directed down roads that don't exist (map problem) being routed off a main road thorugh villages only to rejoin the main road (neither quicker nor shorter), down dead ends (sometimes only to be told to perfom a legal u-turn) amongst others and was hoping the the new options would overcome them.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the main- pretty good. I fiddled with the settings until I found one that seemed to suit most of my travels and it takes me more or less the way I'd go. I give it a bit more preference for urban roads than freeways and for a slightly quicker than shorter distance. The shorter the distance you try to set, the weirder the route it tries to take you.

The re-routing seems pretty accurate too. I took it purposely off the planned route to various places and it sorted things out pretty sensibly. Always tried to first get me back to the main road I went off and then gave up and built a totally different route.
resuj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ve tried a lot of configuration in the three sliding preference scale. I just placed the sliders in the middle, which suited me best, direct to the destination. I observed that if you prefer motorways, it will take you on a longer motorway journey than I think is necessary. Preferring urban roads, it will most likely give you A roads, roads with a lot of junctions and take you away from an obvious route and back again. Try playing around with the sliding scale with the route(s) you know or would normally take using a map (and make it a long route).
In a few years time, we could be thanking navman for this preferencial sliding scale, afterall if we all use navman and have the same preference, imagine the traffic!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: