Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin to Leave PND Market
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin to Leave PND Market
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: ViaMichelin to Leave PND Market Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comBlack News day. According to a news item on French web-site BusinessMobile.fr, ViaMichelin have decided to leave the PND marketplace and cease production of their own brand navigation devices.

Bizarrely the news item also makes mentions that they may be seeking a third party to continue production of units bearing the ViaMichelin brand with Navigon mooted as one possible business partner. This may simply mean Navigon selling their own brand devices in France under the ViaMichelin brand trading on the name in the fiercely patriotic French marketplace.

ViaMichelin intend to concentrate their future activities on supplying rich content to other manufacturers. as they have access to the ViaMichelin restaurant and other tour guides, they are uniquely well placed to have this option.

Whilst not the biggest manufacturer, ViaMichelin did have a competent product which was improving all the time backed by an enthusiastic team especially here in the UK. It can only be bad news for the PND market as it allows the top two or three to grab an even bigger slice of the market and further stifle innovation.

Last edited by Darren on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that they don't take the bad from the Navigon 7100: http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/12/navigon_7100_review.php
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I cant offically confirm the news as we are all still getting full details but lets just say that it is very sad news and a lot of people across Europe who work for the company are somewhat in shock.

I know I have been a bit quiet in the forums lately and this was mainly due to coming back from the christmas break to some internal rumblings and then the announcements you are starting to hear about.

As far as I am aware we are still operating in the GPS business for the next 3 months and I will be on hand to answer questions and comment as far as I can,

Cheers

Stu

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stu, very sorry to hear this, what the market needs least is less competition from competent manufacturers such as yourselves.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can fix the (long) list of issues with the current 7.X version with hopefully some good updates and get support on good tracks (see my mail earlier this week).
I guess there won't be a V8 anymore?

Deepfour wrote:
Hi All

I know I have been a bit quiet in the forums lately and this was mainly due to coming back from the christmas break to some internal rumblings and then the announcements you are starting to hear about.

Stu
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news, if it's correct. I was just getting to grips with the 970 but not the Content Manager and having to translate the install instructions from French and then getting it wrong, did not help. If this happens and support ceases, then I'll have to consider staying with Navman - which is not a bad device. It's only some of the support which is a bit lacking. I had hoped that your support, Stu, would have been the bonus that tipped the balance. Fingers crossed that the info turns out to be wrong Wink
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats shocking news! What about our map update subscriptions (will they be refunded) and patches?

Last edited by Bertie100 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having moved from Tom Tom Navigator back in November as it looked as that was no longer supported, I am less than amused that Michelin are now pulling out of the PND market, especially as I have just subscribed to the upgrade package.
Flossie15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really sad piece of news. First of all for all those involved in ViaMichelin, and the loss of their jobs, and also for all the product users who seem extremely enthusiastic (on the whole).

I for one, really like my ViaMichelin Sat Nav, and having beeing involved in the computer industry, I think it is one of the most intuitive pieces of kit that I have seen. Patches and upgrades are part the tekkie world - annoying but it is a bit like getting your a jab - unpleasant but necessary!!

I hope ViaMichelin do manage to keep trading the market, as they have a really good innovation here, or someone at ViaMichelin sits up and realises that they should stick with it!!

I wish Stu and his team the best of luck in the future. Very Happy
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sad indeed and I was reminded about how good the VM routing algorithims are when I purchased a new smartphone this week with TomTom Navigator on it. Out of interest I plotted a local route on it and it gave me a lousy offer right through the middle of the city of Bath whilst the VM unit had offered a much more sensible routing missing all the key areas of congestion!

But........... first they dropped the price of my unit by £70 only 3 weeks afterI purchased it and now I have invested in the Advantage upgrade only to find we have likely been shafted there as well.

As others have said what chance a refund on the upgrade package at least. I have paid for something that it looks like the company cannot now deliver, there must be something in there for trading standards, it's not as if the company has ceased trading.

Stu, we would like to hear your opinions on this one please or else we are going to have to pursue this a little more 'vigorously'

A great shame!
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All

I can assure those of you worried about support issues that the Support lines and Customer Technical Help will be running for the warrenty period on our devices which is 2 years.
Anyone who has signed up for upgrade services (2 yrs Maps and Guides) and is worried need not be as these will be valid and new maps and guides will come out to you as expected. You can still sign up for the subscription programme until the end of 2008.

As and when more information comes available I will post it as fast as I can,

All the best and if anyone hears of any good jobs going starting in April I might be interested!!

Cheers

Stu

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:
Dear All

I can assure those of you worried about support issues that the Support lines and Customer Technical Help will be running for the warrenty period on our devices which is 2 years.
Anyone who has signed up for upgrade services (2 yrs Maps and Guides) and is worried need not be as these will be valid and new maps and guides will come out to you as expected. You can still sign up for the subscription programme until the end of 2008.

All the best and if anyone hears of any good jobs going starting in April I might be interested!!

Cheers

Stu

Is it possible that the business maybe sold as a going concern? Navman is no longer owned by the same company, even though it was brought by a rival the trading name remains.
I'm hoping that it isn't going to be all doom and gloom.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That still leaves me with the question what happens with the current open issues and the (hopefully) fixes and a version 8.

Deepfour wrote:
Dear All

Cheers

Stu
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Via michelin etc Reply with quote

What do they do that tomtom does do better?

I rest my case.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Via michelin etc Reply with quote

mrg2003 wrote:
What do they do that tomtom does do better?

I rest my case.

Conversely, what does TomTom do better Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: