Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - icn 510 installation problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

icn 510 installation problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdjohnstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: icn 510 installation problem Reply with quote

I hope someone can help me before I go insane,I have just purchased the 510 and intalled the software supplied the problem i have is when i connect the USB to the device it states it cannot find the device and comes up with a box asking me to insert the driver but when i put in the cd it fails,I hope someone can help as it is driving me mad thanks
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: icn 510 installation problem Reply with quote

sdjohnstone wrote:
I hope someone can help me before I go insane,I have just purchased the 510 and intalled the software supplied the problem i have is when i connect the USB to the device it states it cannot find the device and comes up with a box asking me to insert the driver but when i put in the cd it fails,I hope someone can help as it is driving me mad thanks

What version of windows are you using? What version of windows dowes the 510 software support?
sdjohnstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am using XP prof which the icn instructions say is ok
Ditch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem at the outset with my 510. Hang in there because I suspect that it's a conflict with your version of Windows (perhaps it needs updating).

My original install was probelmatic, but it didn't surprise me as my first attempt was an install on my Mac Powerbook running Virtual PC Version 6. Every time I tried to load the ActiveSync program it would stop loading at around 92%. Eventually, I simply decided to use the Sony Vaio I had given my mom.

Well off to mom's house but sadly much to my surprise that wasn't successful either. I had Windows XP Pro running on her PC and she already had a copy of ActiveSync so I figured it to be a walk in the park. However, I hadn't updated her Windows in QUITE some time and when I tried to load the newer version of ActiveSync (the one that is necessary for the NavMan 510 and is included on the disc), I found that it too bogged down this time around 99% and wouldn't finish loading.

As such I was unable to get my 510 to be recognized on either my Mac (which I later found out should work using the newest Version 7 of Virtual PC), or her Sony Vaio.

Since I'm rather stubborn by nature, I wasn't ready to give up as this device seemed like just what I had been waiting for.

My solution finally came using a demo PC at a local retailler! I could have gotten a friends PC, but didn't have the paitence to wait at that point. Bottom line is that the software loaded straight away and worked seamlessly!

I suspect that you may need to update your OS, make sure you load the latest version (the one on the disc) of ActiveSync, and check to make sure that you don't have any virus software causing any problems. Make sure all of your drivers are up to date as well.

Apparently the 510 is a bit particular about its connection. If problems still persist, I would call Navman tech support. I found them very helpful and suspect you will as well.

Good luck and try to stick with it! Wink
sdjohnstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,thanks for that at least i now know its not me,i have got as far as it now recognises the 510 i have copied the ireland maps from the cd to the MMC but i am struggling to use POI as this appears not to work.The active sync will not syncronise either yet i did copy the maps across any further help would be appreciated
Fixer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Activesync is supposed to synchronise - it never has on my unit. There's no address book or calendar interface in the software (least not that I can see) so there wouldn't be much point.
sdjohnstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,with regard to active sync it would be used to syncronise points of interest and otherdownloads i would suggest,can someone confirm?
MiddleMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too had problems loading the software. I eventually loaded it onto my laptop but I am still having problems with activesync recognising the Navman on my main pc. A mail to tech support gave a return reply to make sure I have SP1 on my XP (which I have), but don't download SP2! I still have not received a reply from them as to why this is however.

And yes as far as i can tell active sync does sycronize the downloads and POI's.
pandamedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brought a navaman 510 too and had that problem when i started up the desktop. Turns out my active sync was an old version even though i got xp and sp2. just go to it and click help and download the lastest version and it should work. WOrked for me
Dave_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same happened to me too. USB device not recognised by the OS and no driver anywhere on the disks . I think the driver must be bundled into the ActiveSync installation - I already had V3.7 installed, but when I installed the V3.7 from the CD, the 510 was instantly recognised as the "Mitac Digiwalker" (or whatever it is) and everything OK from then. Confused
sdjohnstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help I have now got it working properly :D The next question does any one know where there are POI available to download in the correct format so I do not need to convert first thanks
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Do you want the job? Now that you've cracked how to do it, it should be a doddle for you. Wink
sdjohnstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love the job but have wouldnt know where to start its taken me days just to install the damn thing .One thing I would say is that this is a very helpfull site
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flattery will get you nowhere. :D Oh, and now you've done it once, you can do it again. Practice makes perfect. Twisted Evil
sdjohnstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well it was worth a try ,But on a serious note the site is far more help than the navman support people I have mailed them 4 times and have yet to receive a reply

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: