Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - how do i get v2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

how do i get v2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheream1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: how do i get v2 Reply with quote

hi all

can some one tell me where i can get the instructions and software to make my fortuna clip on firmware to v2?

i have a bluetooth dongle for pc, does this help?

a quick repsonse would be greatly appreciated

thank you Smile
iclick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: how do i get v2 Reply with quote

wheream1 wrote:
hi all

can some one tell me where i can get the instructions and software to make my fortuna clip on firmware to v2?
i have a bluetooth dongle for pc, does this help?
a quick repsonse would be greatly appreciated

Not exactly quick, as I just now read your request. I took copied this from another user's experiences and added some notes when I flashed my Clip-on a couple of months ago:

1. Unzip the Firmware Updater

2. Run Setup.exe

3. Copy the firmware file somewhere easily accessible (Floppy, Mem stick, or root of the HD)

Note: Some have failed upgrading with the firmware file on a HD. Put it on a floppy as specified in the instructions!

4. Make sure the ClipOn is in the XT mode. (i.e. that tiny dot is all the way to the right. Units are configured in ST mode by default) If you don't do it, it could damage the unit.

Note: If you set it to ST mode your ST mode may be XT v2 after the flash!

5. Reboot your machine. Why not? This makes sure that nothing else is running in the background that could muck up that $200+ piece of hardware. You probably were checking e-mail, downloading files, installed bluetooth drivers, and listening to music. Who knows what running in the background. You can spare 2 minutes.

6. Connect to the GPS unit via the My Bluetooth Place in Windows. This is to record the COM port only.

Note: It has been reported that only BT dongles with WIDCOMM drivers work with this upgrade!

7. DISCONNECT YOUR CONNECTION in the My Bluetooth Place to the ClipOn. My first 3 attempts failed along with my heart when I did not disconnect beforehand. My 4th attempt, I disconnected and it went through.

8. Launch the update program and follow the documentation provided.
a. Change com port
b. Browse to the update file
c. Toggle the Off->On button
d. Click Link to Fortuna
e. Execute

9. After 30 secs and it has not failed. Walk away. If you did not disconnect via My Bluetooth Place, it would have failed by now. The process probably took two minutes.

10. Check back and the Program should say PASSED.

11. Turn off the GPS, remove the battery but be sure to take note of the orientation via the label. 5 minutes is a long time to forget silly stuff and putting the battery in wrong so the unit doesn't power up does wonders for the heart since you know that you may have just hosed your unit regardless. (Yes, I did this and freaked. )

12. So you waited 5 minutes for that hard reset and put the battery back. Power up the unit and check out the new XT2 mode and be sure the check that ST mode still works also.

--------------

Some questions I posed to another successful flash veteran:

Q: Elsewhere on this forum has been mentioned that the BT dongle should be disabled on the PC prior to flashing. Unless this is done the Fortuna software won't sync with the GPS.

A: I established a serial connection with the GPS unit using the BT connection manager installed by my dongle's software. I turned that off before using the Fortuna SW. The dongle was not disabled. The Fortuna SW has a button that says Com Port Off -> On that turns on its connection with the GPS. That connection I left on (the button texr then changes to read Com Port On -> Off).

Q: When you said "I followed the instructions on the Fortuna web site," I assume you mean FORTUNA SYNC ENGLISH VERSION.DOC extracted from the archive FORTUNA_SYNC.ZIP. Correct?

A: The instructions are the ones I downloaded from http://www.fortuna.com.tw/Support.htm. The file name is ClipOnSync.pdf. It is the last link on the list of options in the URL above. The software itself is in ClipOnSyncBT.zip in that same page.

Q: Reading from this file, I assume the COM port selected should be the same as the port used in the Settings section of the PDA nav software.

A: No. When you install the BT dongle it will come with a Bluetooth Manager. You use that software and connect to a serial device. It will find the GPS and tell you what COM port it is using. You enter that COM port into the Fortuna SW. In my case, the PDA uses COM8, but my desktop used COM5. My laptop using the same dongle uses COM7.

Q: In step 2 of the Firmware section they say to "Power on GPS device when it displays 'PASS'". Am I to assume the GPS should be powered OFF during the flash operation? There is no mention of powering off the device first, and it doesn't make sense.

A: No. The GPS is powered on all the time until it finished flashing. After the PASS, you are supposed to power off and take the battery our for 5 minutes to cause the unit to do a hard reset.
wheream1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks buddy, for the great advice

i have followed your entire advice word for word, alas i thought it was doing ok (no FAIL sign after about 20 secs of flashing) then suddenly FAIL came up, so i assume it hasn't worked,

i was going to try again but had some visitors :x so could not try again.
will try again 2morow,

also after the failed attempt the fortuna(xt mode) showed both lights green(this was always the case by the way) but tomtom would not pick up the signal, (GPS UNRELIABLE) showing, so had to swith off clip on turn to st mode and took 20 mins to get a fix(green light),i then had to pair the ipaq with gps(i.e pass key) it then connected in st mode ok.

i then switched to xt mode, took 40 mins to get a fix (green light) then connected ok again to tomtom/ipaq with the same 5/6 sats in bedroom as per usual.

Will try again tomorow evening in case i done something wrong (oh and my blutooth dongle is showing WIDcomm drivers).

thank you for your reply, will keep you posted tomorow on progress, if you can think of something else plz do not hesitate to post, will be very greatful. :D

thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: