Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST Version 4 Wishlist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST Version 4 Wishlist
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: SmartST Version 4 Wishlist Reply with quote

Now that Version 3 is out, I've decided to start a V4 wishlist. So soon, you ask, but why not? After all, the more time Navman have to examine the wishlist, the more time they have to study the feasability of each 'wish'.

I've kicked off with 15 in no particular order. Please add yours; if you can number them sequentially taking into account the preceding post (I know it won't always work as two people might post at the same time) then it'll make it easy for me to compile a list for submission to Navman. I will also send them a link to this thread in the hope that it will be monitored by them.

1. Ability to have Trip stopovers automatically optimised, including provision for reoptimisation on the fly, taking into account intermediate destinations already visited. This should be an OPTION, not the default.

2. Allow the POI Editor the choice of where to save custom POIs. These should be savable to, for instance, iPAQ Filestore or Storage card in order to allow for more programme memory on the device.

3. Allow for different warning sounds and icons for different Custom POI categories.

4. Provide a variety of voice guidance files, as in V2.

5. Allow a Custom POI waypoint to be saved from the map screen, ideally by adding an option to the 'Tap and hold' pop-up menu. Allow said waypoint to be appended to a particular (current) Custom POI database.

6. Add London Congestion Charge Zone avoidance to UK maps.

7. Return to more accurate Navteq geodata.

8. Provide the ability to set the PPC clock using the GPS data. Perhaps minutes only, since hours would be more difficult to implement.

9. Provide the ability for the Proximity warner to warn of Custom POIs that are on the calculated route only (as an option). I don't necessarily want to get warnings of POIs on parallel roads.

10. Show railway lines on maps.

11. Have automatic route cancellation as an option, possibly selectable at route-generation level. Sometimes it is handy not to have the route auto-cancel on reaching a destination.

12. Use 2x3 big buttons in menu screens as opposed to 1x6 list. This will make it easier to press the correct button.

13. Add the facility to look up a destination by entering coordinates in decimal degrees.

14. When travelling on motorways, it would be nice to have the software tell me "Exit left at Junction X" as opposed to just "Exit left"

15. Add a compass to the 3D navigation screen. When in "Heading up" mode, it's nice to know where North is.
TimH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woaa...v3 is out? I assume you mean the iCN version? Does anyone know when the PPC version will be out?

Cheers.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I do mean the iCN version, buut there's nothing to suggest that the functionality will be vastly different, and like I said, I want to get in there early....the release date for the PPC version hasn't been announced yet. I imagine that if asked, Navman's reply would be the stock answer, which is "When it's ready".
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16. Direct access to Active POI's (in setup) via a button from Main Menu screen.

17. Facility to user-select preferred road speeds thus giving greater control to the routing options. This will then calculate the best route using my preferred roads and wherever possible keep me on them.

18. Add the facility to look up a destination by entering coordinates in degrees minutes and seconds.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19. Add motorway junction numbers to the database.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20. The ability to 'Cancel Route' from the map screen Pop-Up-Menu. Sometimes a route may not be finished or you decide not to continue and it is a pain having to go to the Main Menu then Destination to terminate the planned route.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21. Ability to avoid an area by quickly entering a preset 'road block' distance much like the TTGo's. This would be in addition to the current 'avoid area' function.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22. Change from 'Feet' to 'Yards'. Easy to implement - just use the same marker as metres, we'll never know! We don't really use feet and I can't think the Americans do, either. When did you last hear the phrase "300' dash"?

23. Give PPC (PiN300) users the same Urban Roads sliding scale bar that iCN users have, not a toggle box.

24. Give PPC (PiN) users the same GPS status screen as iCN users, too.

25. Have two or three memory slots for remembering routing preferences. Then I can have one set up for shorter route when I know the area, one for quicker and one for 'just in case'!
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26. Allow for increase/decrease the number of street names visible on the screen.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found out that number 6 on the list, Implement London CC zone, *is* on V3 although it isn't quite working properly yet! Therefore if anyone has another suggestion, email or PM it to me and I'll edit out the existing 6 and substitute the new one.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would have been a good selling point if it were working properly.
I recall a few people pooh poohing it because of no congestion charge support.

ahh well... replace 6 with:

Ability to have a larger speed display on the map screens like you can on the Next Instruction screen

Then you may delete this post. :D
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
widget
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the SmartSt for PPC v3 with Great Britain maps (bundled with bluetooth 4420). The biggest problem I've found with it is STABILITY!! It seems to be very unstable and buggy. So my biggest wish for a v4 would be that the product would run properly, without crashes, bugs, registration problems, and better instructions for how to get up and running!
doden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

27. Provide easier switch from day to night screen, preferably with button on map screen (I find the night screen still too bright with the backlight on min). Actually I can't see the difference between the day and night screen, so similar implementation of this feature as the Tom-Tom ie. dark background with stars in the sky! (should I have mentioned TT on this thread?!)
doden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28. Just make the setup and operation idiot proof. I coped, but I'm pretty PC savvy. I bought this for my wife to use and I dread to think of the muddle she could get into!
29. Get rid of the need to set up baud rate and com port!!!!! I found that I was actually able to change the com port without realising I done so, by toggling the joystick with the com port drop down box highlighted. Really Navman, in this day and age!!
doden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30. Get rid of the licence page on start up. I agreed already!

31. Improve sound quality. It's a bit hissy on my Mio, but maybe that's the Mio. My colleagues Tom-Tom has the same female voice but very much clearer. And another thing, 'First exit' very often sounds like 'Third exit'.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: