Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW OS 1:25000 Entire UK due 8th Oct
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW OS 1:25000 Entire UK due 8th Oct
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received an email from Memory Map that says that they will have the new Right to Roam information available via their Selections service from early November. It will obviously only be for the areas that the OS has recently issued the new paper maps (parts of the South East and the Lower North West).

Here is the text:

"Complete GB coverage at 1:25,000 Explorer scale is not new. Memory-Map have
offered full GB coverage at 1:25,000 scale using the custom area Memory-Map
Selections product since Christmas 2003. This service allows users to simply
choose the exact shape and size of the coverage they require rather than be
forced into accepting pre-determined map boundaries.

Memory-Map, and any other Ordnance Survey digital partner, receive data
updates at the same time. The release schedule and content of these updates
from OS varies depending on the product eg Landranger 1:50,000 currently has
annual updates but typically only 20% of the complete GB coverage is changed
each year. In the case of Explorer 1:25,000, there has only ever been two
digital releases - the first was in October 2002 and would have contained
the then current digital data set. The second release was issued at the end
of September 2004. This update included the CRoW (Right to Roam) markings
for the two areas then available from the Countryside Agency - namely the
South East and Lower North West. OS are still working on the future update
schedule for Explorer 1:25,000 but the next release is unlikely to be before
Spring 2005. Memory-Map takes the time to check these releases and
manufacture products hence there is a slight delay between OS releasing data
and a product being available for retail sale. The Memory-Map Selections
1:25,000 complete GB coverage is forecasted to include the new data release
from early November."

So it looks like they won't be too far behind Anquet, who have probably just turned around the digital data a bit quicker (or with less testing as Memory Map would probably phrase it).

I can definitely recommend the Selections service - not only is it good value when compared to buying the existing walking regions, but you also get the exact area that you want. For example, my area was mostly centred on my home, but also extended out to areas where friends and relatives lived. The connection was a relatively thin strip of land that included most of a National Trail that I've always wanted to walk. Anquet's latest new maps, with their fixed boundaries, don't allow you to do that.

However, if you live in one of the regions mentioned above, then wait a month or so before ordering it. Don't make the mistake that I did and end up with 6 year old data just before the new stuff comes out!
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that very useful info Ian! Smile
ernieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I asked Anquet if the 'Peak District' maps would be upgraded to include the 'right to roam' and what would be the price?

Answer was:

"In December we will be releasing the Peak District National Park title with the new right to roam information and aerial photography. This title will be priced at £100.00.

In broad terms the Peak District National Park title does cover the same areas as OL1 and OL24 but there are some differences. The extreme eastern edge is not included in our title but there is a strip to the south including Ashbourne that is included."

I'll probably wait till December and but this title.

Cheers

Ernieb
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add a couple of pointers here.
I have been a user of anquet for nearly a year now and have fouind not only their products greta value but the support they offer via email is superb too.

I have the GB south maps at 1:50000. To answer one of the previous questions the data is very accurate matching up with paper maps. I have walked a few routes using anquets mapping and the facility to download to a PDA is great.

I shall probably purchase the aerial photos map for the area i live as it only retails for 39.95. I will wait a while longer for the 1:25000 maps though.... can't quite afford it at the moment.

Cheers

Sparky
IanM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if it sounds like I'm putting Anquet down. I've got one of their titles as well and there doesn't seem much difference between them and Memory Map in terms of functionality. The 2D drawing in both is excellent and the 3D stuff is very impressive considering how new it is (although with room for improvement).

They also seem similar in terms of the cost of OS maps, probably because the bulk of the cost is taken up in royalties to the OS.

However I find the user interface side of both apps very poor and unintuitive, but I've been writing Windows applications for many years, so I'm probably more fussy than most. I imagine that most of us put up with it because of the Wow! factor of seeing the maps themselves. I must admit that they always give me a kick, which is I know is very sad.

All I'm saying is that, for the 1:25,000 data (which I find perfect for walking/cycling) the flexibility of Memory Map's Selections service seems to beat the rigid boundaries of Anquet's recently announced series of maps. It could be that Anquet also offer a similar service but I couldn't find anything on their site about one. However Memory Map hardly detail the Selections service on their website either, so you never know.

Cheers,
Ian.
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interests of fairness (having previously complained in this thread about the hike in cost of the new vs old 1:25,000 Peak District mapping), I'm seriously impressed by the new National Park series on the Anquet website.
For example, the £100 Peak District product now gives 1:25,000 mapping and "high definition" aerial photography covering fhe full park area, plus 1:50,000 coverage of an even larger area from Blackburn in the NW to Derby in the SE.
I just hope Santa is listening.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Anquet All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: