Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live SmartPhone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: CoPilot Live SmartPhone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will, that's my set-up and it worked well.
njsb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstenson wrote:
Dave wrote:
I can confirm that all QuickStart cards now shipping are mini-SD.

CoPilot Live SmartPhone Software Pack - £135 inc vat RRP
Includes Software, mini-SD, SD Adaptor

Is this the UK map only? Thanks

The quick start card has UK and Ireland pre installed. When you enable the software you select a country, which then allows you to use the maps for that country, all others are locked until you purchase a £100 european licence key. I did this using the mini-SD quickstart card selecting UK, not sure what would happened if I had selected another country, I would suspect I would have to have loaded the maps from the supplied data CD's rather than just immediately using the UK maps on the quick smart card.
njsb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talkingbollox wrote:
Dave

I would also be interested in the mounting options you used for the phone in your set up. For example, do you have a dedicated carkit with radio mute? Where the phone was mounted etc.

Cheers

I purchased the Arkon Smartphone mount with Vent attachment. (Cost just under £20 from globalpositioningsystems)
It allows access to the bottom of the phone for car charger (could be useful when a car charger becomes available for the C500!).
The vent mount does not really allow any tilting of the phone (can use vent to vertically raise or lower phone (that is if you air vents are strong/stiff enough)), but you do not have ability to horizontally tilt device. They need to invent/sell a phone mount that has similar angling capabilities as the PDA mounts.

Would possibly recommend purchasing the suction mount rather than the vent mount if you want the maximum positioning flexibility (although I am not a fan of suction mounts - as they affect my view through the windscreen).

The mounts are not active (powered) or speaker inclusive, the speakerphone on the mobile phone gives a fairly good volume for voice instructions.

njsb
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

njsb wrote:

Received my package tonight and installed in a few minutes.
njsb

Are you able to use a bluetooth headset at the same time as the GPS?
fozzie63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E200 & C500 support concurrent BT connections to a GPS and headset.
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Brodit have confirmed that they are going to be bringing out a holder for the C500, I can forsee an imminent purchase.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Brodit's E200 holder which works well but it is unpowered, it would be nice to see Active mounts made available.

Last edited by Darren on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
njsb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartm wrote:
njsb wrote:

Received my package tonight and installed in a few minutes.
njsb

Are you able to use a bluetooth headset at the same time as the GPS?

I have not got a bluetooth headset to test.

I did read in the Tom Tom Mobile review that multiple bluetooth connections are still an issue, but not sure if this relates to the C500.

I asked the question in the orange shop, and they were unsure, so still not a conclusive answer.

Another member has put a comment above that it should work.

njsb
njsb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going off the Arkon Smartphone mount that I have purchased, tried to use it today in my corsa and the weight of it with the phone, rolled the vent down, so made it quite hard to see phone. Also my car being 3 cylinders (1.0 12v) vibrates a lot, the phone was also vibrating, but give the mount it's due, it did keep the phone in the holder.

I will keep my eyes open for the Brodit mount, as Darren says it would be good if they produce an active(powered) mount.

njsb
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Unlike the Pocket PC version, there is no TTS available at present for the Windows SmartPhone Edition mainly due to the excessive memory overhead it requires which means you will have to use WAV files.

It's interesting that Mapopolis uses less than 500k and includes Text to Speech whereas CoPilot 5 for Smartphone uses 6-8 Meg of memory (without Text To Speech) and often crashes with out of memory errors while calculating routes.

Dave, do you still use CP smartphone on a daily basis? Do you get the out of memory errors and crashes? Is there any official word from ALK about a fix for this?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njsb wrote:
I did read in the Tom Tom Mobile review that multiple bluetooth connections are still an issue, but not sure if this relates to the C500.

I asked the question in the orange shop, and they were unsure, so still not a conclusive answer.

Another member has put a comment above that it should work.

njsb

There are no issues with multiple BT connections on the C500. Tried and verified! Laughing
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
It's interesting that Mapopolis uses less than 500k and includes Text to Speech whereas CoPilot 5 for Smartphone uses 6-8 Meg of memory (without Text To Speech) and often crashes with out of memory errors while calculating routes.

Dave, do you still use CP smartphone on a daily basis? Do you get the out of memory errors and crashes? Is there any official word from ALK about a fix for this?

I can't comment on TTS as I haven't run Mapopolis but I didn't think it used TTS ?

Memory issues I have been testing about half a dozen different versions of CoPilot Live, there are some issues with memory allocation IF you have other applications open, same old story to the PDA that when using navigation apps you need to make sure everything is closed. I have experienced some memory issues Malloc errors but this has been because I've had 4 or 5 other apps still running in background mode, and eventually it will run out of memory space. This I believe is more down to the OS than CPL software. CPL does require more memory than other apps so it will probably be seen more on the SmartPhone.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I have experienced some memory issues Malloc errors but this has been because I've had 4 or 5 other apps still running

Hmm, I get errors with no other apps running (always check in Task Manager first). A friend has the same problem on his C500.

Dave wrote:
I can't comment on TTS as I haven't run Mapopolis but I didn't think it used TTS ?

Yes it definately does have TTS. The voice quality is not fantastic (a bit robotic and scratchy) and it does come up with amusing pronounciations of some road names but I think the voice instructions are better than CoPilot, especially when you make a a series of turns close together. I much prefer CoPilot's map display though so I am stuck between the two. Confused

It's in beta (since March 2004) but it seems pretty stable. I hear rumblings that a new beta is coming out soon and that there will be a release version Real Soon Now.

Mapopolis Smartphone has a bunch of features that are missing on CoPilot Smartphone: find by Lat/Long, save/recall a route, save route directions as a text file, Satellite map screen, track log with trip summary that you can play back or save as text and a small memory footprint.

On the down side, there is no traffic info or live online tracking, the maps are ugly (in my opinion!) and the way the maps are organised by county is strange.

Definately worth a look when you get a chance, there is a free demo on their website.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Mapopolis Smartphone has a bunch of features that are missing on CoPilot Smartphone:.......save/recall a route, ........track log with trip summary that you can play back or save as text and a small memory footprint.

CoPilot already has these features. Save/Recall a route can be saved as a future trip with a start/destination. Track Logs are automatically saved to the SAVED directory, these can be copied back to trip.gps and you can then re-play your journey off-line at a later date.

Skippy wrote:
Definately worth a look when you get a chance, there is a free demo on their website.

I actually have it here and it's installed on my phone, but I'm currently testing and completing about a dozen reviews, so it's a matter of prioritising what comes next Wink
Wallstreet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: How about the A1000 on 3 onBoard GPS? Reply with quote

I found this site: http://www.nhgps.com/support.html#1_4

and hear that another Symbian phone may be as effective, the A1000 what do you think on comparison and know of a potential review for this?

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: