Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon: Update to 4.2 scheduled for release 13th Sept 2004
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon: Update to 4.2 scheduled for release 13th Sept 2004

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Navigon: Update to 4.2 scheduled for release 13th Sept 2004 Reply with quote

According to a Navigon GmbH staffer on another forum, it will be available on September 13th (no clue regarding the time of release) for download from www.navigon.com
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticipated fixes in 4.2 (note not 4.02 and there will be no public 4.10):

Enhancement: Support for new PDAs - specifically mentioned Dell Axim X30, Fujitsu Loox 420, QTEK 2020
    Enhancement: Addition of an automatic recall for the update of the maps
    Enhancement: Support for new US maps
    Enhancement: More rapid route and re-route calculation
    Problem fix: The route cannot be calculated
    Problem fix: numerous TMC issues (unspecified)
    Problem fix: Icon position on screen after resolution change
    Problem fix: Crash issues withous saving parameters
    Problem fix: Mapexport & Hyperthreading
    Improvement: Optimisation of map export to PDA in Mapexport application
    Improvement: Extraction of a whole country in Mapexport

Note that the above are all translated (by me) with the aid of 20 year old schoolboy french - so I may have missed some nuances of what was intended by the original author Laughing
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that the second one is the one that interests me most - if that means the ability to update the maps then I think it's going to significantly raise the bar on the other programs - although I doubt that's what it does mean Sad
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be very useful, but I cant beleive it would provide map updates without some kind of subscription.

Anyone know when the maps were created for this release? I'm going to upgrade from the bundled Medion software to MN4 or later once more recent maps are available, but I understand the current MN4 uses the same maps as Medion.

Cheers
---Dave
fergus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look to be the same as the latest medion. IE they have the M6 toll marked but doesn't use it to route

Fergus
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess that if they do provide updates, it would be for as long as MN 4 is the 'current' release - so as soon as MN 5 is released then update support for MN 4 maps would stop.

Note that this is all still a big if - based on (currently) my schoolboy French of 20 years ago Confused
OhBuggerit2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you, but I could not get a copy. Crying or Very sad It appears that the navigon servers overloaded and only a scant handful managed to get in before Navigon pulled the plug.

It seems looking at the pocketnavigation.de forum that everyone is waiting for Navigon to make an announcement as to how they intend to distribute it. (If my poor translation efforts are correct).
OhBuggerit2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received this as part of a response to another query:

The service release 2 will be out soon but I have no exact information when.
Concerning to this please check our website during the next days!

Best regards
Markus Wagner

NAVIGON-Team

NAVIGON GmbH
Berliner Platz 11
97080 Würzburg

Phone: +49/931/3573-100
Fax: +49/931/3573-260
Web: www.navigon.com

Managing Director: Peter Scheufen
Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 79061

Sie haben Fragen zu unseren Produkten? Von Montags bis Freitags zwischen 9:00 und 18:00 Uhr sind wir gerne für Sie da. Telefonisch unter 0180 5 - 628 44 66, per Fax unter 0180 5 - 628 44 44 oder per Email unter kundenservice@navigon.de an.

Any questions about our products? We are happy to answer your calls from 9:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday. You can contact us by telephone on +49 (0)180 5 - 628 44 66, by fax on +49 (0)180 5 - 628 44 44 or by sending an email to kundenservice@navigon.de.
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm - tallies with what I found - I even managed to get to the download page, but the file itself is missing
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon SR2 Download Page wrote:
New Features We have enhanced our software significantly.

MobileNavigator|4 is now able to handle maps of the USA and of Canada. The indication of destinations has been adapted to North American needs. The software offers, depending on the used map, the appropriate screen for destination entry. Maps of the USA and of Canada will shortly be available from NAVIGON.

There is a new speed profile for cyclists. Using this profile, MobileNavigator|4 considers rules concerning these traffic participants. Shorter distances in towns may be computed, farm and forest tracks are being regarded, but motorways are not included in route calculation.

" MapExport-software: Cutting countries from a selected area is now possible. Thus a map of, e.g., Germany, Austria, and Switzerland without the bordering regions of France or Italy may be generated.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enquired about the 4.2 release about a month ago and was told that this would need a complete re-cut of the maps so it will be a bunch of CD's. Whether that still stands I'm not sure, I'll try and find out more info as I need to contact Navigon on Friday.
OhBuggerit2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get hold of a copy today using a link on the pocketnavigation.de forums. The forums over there are going mad, with the Mod's trying desperately to keep the flow of messages down.

Anyway, the download was 9.8mb. Once installed it changes the program number to 4.2 with a date of 3rd September 2004.

I immediately came across an error Crying or Very sad When you try the map export from your PC the program crashes. Tried it a coupe of times with the same result. Crying or Very sad This point too is mentioned on the aforesaid forums. Some seem to get it, some don't.

First thing you notice is that they have changed the opening traffic warning screen to and I Accept or I Decline buttons.

Next up is the route re-mapping is a lot faster if you miss your turn off, but it still has a habit of trying to get you to do a U turn instead of re-routing.

The main thing I was looking for that's not been resolved is the map lag. Sad You are still well past a junction before it shows it on the map. Acceptable with sound on, because strangely the voice prompts are bang on. No good if you are on the car phone with the sound off and are relying on the maps to tell you how close you are.

Although not an issue everyday I go out, it is on the twice a week I am navigating central London.

TMC reception is still no better using the supplied aerial, however Navigon have now admitted that for the UK the Y-Adapter to link into the car stereo aerial is a virtual must. Remember - at this moment in time ONLY Classic FM offers a full UK wide service.

Talking of TMC it will be interesting to see if this version gives the ability to "track" the station. Under 4.01 if you got a lock on Classic FM and use the "Hold" button as soon as Classic FM moves to another frequency, the TMC software loses the lock and starts to re-look for stations. I dearly hope they have resolved this issue.

I am using Navigon 4.2 with the Navigon BT GPS/TMC unit on a Toshiba e800 running W2003SE. Maps are stored on a 512mb SD card.

I should point out that I cannot find the link I used on the Navigon website either .com or .de, so I am not entirely sure if this is a full release or a beta.

HTH :D

Steve
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having downloaded it 3 times today at various times (on 2 different PCs), the downloaded file hasn't changed in size - so I doubt the one you downloaded earlier is beta (unless they all are Laughing)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: