Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to use Leadtek 9531
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to use Leadtek 9531

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
max81max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: How to use Leadtek 9531 Reply with quote

Hi, one of my friends borrowed me a Leadtek 9531 (I don't know if it's really a 9531, but the shape is identical except for the connector like the telephone's one wich connect the receiver to the car adapter - I cannot disconnect the receiver from the car adapter).
I use Tom Tom Navigator and I have a HP 2210; in the settings I can use "Destinator GPS" but maybe I can set a different driver that works better... am I right?
What are the best settings for this GPS receiver?
Another question... talking about reception only (I'm not interested to use it while walking), which GPS receiver is better between the Leadtek 9531 and the Haicom 303-E (compact flash) ? I repeat that I'm interested only about the quality of the signal's reception! Smile
Thanks!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the "Standard NMEA 4800" o port COM1 settings

The reception is better witht he Leadtek because its antenna is bigger and because you can position it horizontally in a place that's not suffering from poor sky view.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
max81max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great great great "THANK YOU" :D
I looked at the settings but in the list I have NMEA 0183v2 4800 and not Standard NMEA 4800... is it the same thing?
And talking about the receiver... I'm not sure about his brand but it has the IDENTICAL shape of the Leadtek 9531 except for the connector to the car power connector... is it produced by Leadtek anyway or could it be made by another brand with another receiver inside?
Last question: it's not new, could the internal battery be out of charge? How can I see if it's out of charge? In this case, what have I got to do? Can I change it?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that's the same setting

Leadtek is the original manufacturer, and many vendors sell it rebadged (TomTom, Navigon, etc) . The connector type may vary, but it's always a serial receiver.

The internal battery is very small, and only supposed to hold the almanach data for a short while. If it's dead then you basically do a factory reset each time the power goes out. A bit annoying, but you can still use the receiver. If you're impatient you should get a newer receiver...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
max81max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a newer receiver, will I get a better (very better Laughing ) signal quality and a more stable fixing?
Is my receiver so OLD to justify a new receiver or is it still a good receiver? Not bluetooth, I prefer cable because I don't like batteries Laughing
If my receiver is no more a good receiver, can you tell me a good receiver to buy? Not too expensive thanks :D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think where you are? In Christmas land?

Oh, wait... ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
max81max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll wait Laughing
Tonight I tried to make the Leadtek works, but I hadn't many good results...
First of all, I don't know the correct disposition of the receiver: does it have a north or I can use it in every horizontal position?
Another thing: I'm beginning to believe that the battery is completely discharged because if I disconnect the GPS from the car adapter, when I reconnect it, when it begins to search the signal, for a few moments it show a date 2000-10-6 and time 00.00.00 , then, after a few seconds, it corrects to the actual date and hour. Can it take much more time to find the signal or the battery only keep the right time even when it's disconnected by the car adapter?
Anyway I tryed to select NMEA 0183v2 4800 but the signal's search doesn't start!!!
The only settings that make the search start are DESTINATOR GPS... strange.. or not?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as it is horizontal the orientation does not matter.

It gets the UTC time from the satellites much earlier than it gets the fix - so that is normal

Other than that it really sounds like the battery is gone

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
max81max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks... I'll continue trying tomorrow (here it's 1.47 o'clock now Laughing )... I'd say "goodnight" Laughing
max81max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use Tom Tom Navigator 3, can I use another program to connect to the GPS receiver (like GPS tweak or SIRF Tweak or GPS Dash) and then navigate with TT3, or TT only works with I'm connected to the receiver through the TT GPS settings?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: