Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What TT3 plugin do YOU want to see?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What TT3 plugin do YOU want to see?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: What TT3 plugin do YOU want to see? Reply with quote

Here's one.. A plugin that can dynamically add TMC events as points of interest, so TT3 can avoid routes if necessary. Surely someone could cook something like that up? It'd be feasible, wouldn't it? Obviously you'd need a GPS receiver with TMC capability, but these are becoming more available. If TT3 had this, it'd be a killer app. But of course, they are trying to get maximum revenue from their own TT Traffic service. :S

I've tried Navigon Navigator 4, and frankly, compared to TT2 it's interface leaves a lot to be desired.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue here is that TMC data is available to licensed TMC partners only. You can't buy the TMC/GPS receiver as it's an OEM model available to licensees only. These partners pay a hefty subscription to use the data and it's not unreasonable for them to recoup their investment.

I hope that more options to receive TMC via the FM broadcast rather than GPRS will become available though. GPRS is still an expensive commodity for most users and the complications that arise when a BT headset is being used that prevents communication between handset and PPC are a big problem for many potential users.

As for the a 3rd party TMC plug-in, I wouldn't hold your breath, the inavailablility of TMC receivers will make this unlikely in the short term.
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two very useful plugins for truckers:

A plugin for weight restricted roads (7.5 Tonne) where such roads can be optionally avoided when calculating a route depending on whether I'm driving my own car or a truck.

Another plugin for low bridges that can be configured for a user defined height. I would like to be able to set the height where roads with these low bridges would be avoided when calculating a route. If I'm driving a truck with a height of say 14ft, I'd like to be able to avoid all roads having bridges with a height restriction of say 14.5ft or less.
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Nearest places Reply with quote

I find locating places a real pain on TT3, especially if you are looking for a road in a town and it is not immediately found.

A new navigate to plug-in would be great that actually made it easier to find say "High Street" in the correct town easy and intuitive.

Additionally the thing I realised was missging on my recent holiday in France was the "Find Nearest" facility of my old StreetPilot. This allows me just to list cities or POIs (eg petrol stations are my most used poi) in distance order (nearest first) including a small arrow to show which direction. This also updates in real time so you can find a petrol station in the correct direction when on a motorway. The real use on my holidays, for which I swapped back to the SPIII, was to locate nearby villages and towns which I new a rough name not the spelling, for example when people would say "You must visit xxx" where "xxx" is only given verbally and in TT3 the correct spelling would be essential (and still not always enough).
omaruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An altitude plugin
MolePatrol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omaruk wrote:
An altitude plugin

Why would you want to know your altitude? TTNav is a street routing system, and isn’t intended to be used in aircraft.

Anyway, the altitude readout from most GPS units is unreliable to say the least. If you really want to know your altitude at any point then I’d recommend that you get topographical package like Memory-Map.
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with someone above that posted they would like an arrow pointing which direction the POI is in, when listed by distance. Or the option to say, 'I would like to list restarounts to the north in distance order'.

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
omaruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alitude - if you are road cycling in the Alps and want to know what your total climb/descent was.
Fuego
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not vital, it is useful to have altitude when crossing mountain ranges, for a number of reasons. As for inaccuracy, it is more a function of supporting some of the quirks of specific devices, in many cases.

However, the plug-ins that I would like to see are:

1. Voice Control plug-in, to work with MS Voice Command

2. Adaptive speed control plug-in with road speed profiles for different times of day/ road conditions/countries/whatever, that would assist in more accurate journey time estimations. This plug-in might also note your preferred road types for driving (I'm assuming this is possible) and would then adjust road speed profiles to favour routes towards these preferences.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The issue here is that TMC data is available to licensed TMC partners only. You can't buy the TMC/GPS receiver as it's an OEM model available to licensees only. These partners pay a hefty subscription to use the data and it's not unreasonable for them to recoup their investment.
term.

As I understood it the software writers that pay the licence fee for TMC, and not the GPS receiver producer. GPS/TMC receivers are avaliable now (have a look at some german sites), and hence why a Renault etc can receive tmc data but not use it, unless you change the disks.

Whilst the software writers would have to pay a fee to use tmc, this would be no difference to what is offered by navigon / alturion

Without doubt, TT3 with TMC (Rds) traffic would be a killer app.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petekk wrote:
As I understood it the software writers that pay the licence fee for TMC, and not the GPS receiver producer.
Actually, in the UK the mapping data suppliers can also pay the licence fee, but you are correct it's not the GPS receiver manufacturer who pays.

Quote:
and hence why a Renault etc can receive tmc data but not use it, unless you change the disks.
Indeed, although the Renault situation is a little bit more complicated - but true, using a VDO Dayton CD does enable TMC which is already supported in the hardware and software - it's simply the UK TMC data that is missing.

Quote:
Without doubt, TT3 with TMC (Rds) traffic would be a killer app.
TT3 with Trafficmaster would be a killer app, as Trafficmaster appears in many cases to be more accurate, faster to notice the problem, and faster to clear down the problem. TT3 Traffic does use the same data (in the UK) as that supplied for RDS-TMC - both are provided by iTIS Holdings, so the difference between TT3 Traffic and RDS-TMC is the differing pricing models - with TT3 Traffic you pay a subscription and ongoing data costs, whereas with RDS-TMC you pay more upfront for the hardware, and then no ongoing costs - in both cases you need to keep the mapping data up to date to cover traffic on new roads.
Lobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrummyGit wrote:
Additionally the thing I realised was missging on my recent holiday in France was the "Find Nearest" facility of my old StreetPilot. This allows me just to list cities or POIs (eg petrol stations are my most used poi) in distance order (nearest first) including a small arrow to show which direction.

Actually TomTom3 has this. Click the small search icon at the bottom when in map view, choose POI and then category. You get a list of all the POIs in that category sorted with the closest on top.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: