Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2024.10, City Navigator Europe, available.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2024.10, City Navigator Europe, available.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall a similar post, years ago, where that had been done, to force all maps to the card.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:

Are you saying that it is better to have less than 100Mb on the device rather than missing the "other files"? What are those other files anyway.? And if I put a bigger SD card in the device will the automatic Full Europe installation not still fill the device memory first and still not have scratch space for the device to work efficiently. Sadly Garmin don't seem to provide complementary map zones for auto installation that do allow for scratch space. What would happen if I put 1Gb of rubbish files onto the device memory before doing a full Europe map update and then deleted them after the map update? And how much scratch space does s nuvi need to work efficiently?

Space not much but a few hundred Mb would be more than sufficient. You can create that easily enough by deleting all the unnecessary text, language, keyboard, vehicle, voice and EULA files as they cover pretty much every main language in the world.

Certainly you could try adding some garbage files to force an update to the sd card but in my view it's not worth the hassle. The additional files that Express installs as well as the map are things like junction view, which may or may not be important to you.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
inspiredron wrote:

Are you saying that it is better to have less than 100Mb on the device rather than missing the "other files"? What are those other files anyway.? And if I put a bigger SD card in the device will the automatic Full Europe installation not still fill the device memory first and still not have scratch space for the device to work efficiently. Sadly Garmin don't seem to provide complementary map zones for auto installation that do allow for scratch space. What would happen if I put 1Gb of rubbish files onto the device memory before doing a full Europe map update and then deleted them after the map update? And how much scratch space does s nuvi need to work efficiently?

Space not much but a few hundred Mb would be more than sufficient. You can create that easily enough by deleting all the unnecessary text, language, keyboard, vehicle, voice and EULA files as they cover pretty much every main language in the world.

Certainly you could try adding some garbage files to force an update to the sd card but in my view it's not worth the hassle. The additional files that Express installs as well as the map are things like junction view, which may or may not be important to you.

Nice to know that a few hundred Mb is sufficient. The unused language files etc all went years ago so I'll try putting in about 300Mb of garbage which may force Express to install in a slightly different combination of maps. Who knows without trying? With an *gb SD it will be forced to do something more appropriate than leaving a stupidly small scratch space.
Thanks for you help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: