Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - are laser detection systems going to be made ilegal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

are laser detection systems going to be made ilegal
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robdeb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
But if sensoring is ok (but interference is not) then GPS is safe because it is purely passive. If it's a combined device then you will have to be able to plausibly show that the laser part is off.

Radar detecters dont intefere they just sense and they want to ban these.

Steve
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The proposed wording in the Road Safety Bill is "the carriage of devices that either actively inhibit the proper function of a speed camera or detect the presence of functioning speed cameras [as opposed to dummy housings]".

This has nothing to do with the wireless telegraphy act.

By "carriage", it means that you may not have one in your vehicle even if you are not using it.

That rules out all numberplate hiders/reflectors, radar detectors, radar jammers, laser detectors, blinders, jammers and any garage door openers that interfere with detection.

It does not rule out GPS only devices.

Im not sure that this will rule out Laser detectors either.

GATSO's, if either Live or run out of film are emiting RADAR beems 100% of the time. Those that have no electronics in are not emiting anything. RADAR detectors can tell the difference between the 2 and some people are allegedly ignoring the cameras that they know are safe.

Where-as Laser based Speed detection (out the back of a van on motorway bridge etc) is a point and shoot system.... IE, not always switched on, the operator has to pull a "trigger" to activate the Laser/Camera on a car that he already "suspects" of speeding. A laser detector will NOT pick up the presence of that Laser "gun" unless its been used and it shouldnt be used unless car is speeding.

Another point is that the Laser traps are mainly mobile and move about from one hour to the next which is against the principle of why they wanted this ban.

And of course, Laser detectors are mainly useless anyway cos once you have detected laser its too late.

Steve
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
And of course, Laser detectors are mainly useless anyway cos once you have detected laser its too late.
Indeed - instead of trying to get a better solution, support the new mobile safety camera database at Pocketgpsworld and get all these sites into its database!
ianst28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i deal with road angel in work and the latest i've heard from them is that gps systems will be ok but radar detection and blocker will not be allowed this is because gps systems detect blackspots and SAFTEY CAMERAS
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianst28 wrote:
gps systems will be ok but radar detection and blocker will not be allowed
So where does this leave Road Angel, which although it doesn't have radar detection does have laser detection?

Sounds like half of a Road Angel will still be legal, and the other half illegal...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't connect the laser module and you'll be ok Laughing
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new RA has built in laser detection, whilst the "classic" RA as Dave says has a separate module.

So ironically the newer version will become obsolete soon!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and I was seriously thinking of putting the new RA on my Santa list. Oh well Rolling Eyes
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And half of my Snooper S6-R Neo is going to become a door-wedge! Didn't work too well through the athermic glass, anyway. <sniff> I suppose I could mount it behind the front grille ot of view....
ianst28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a copy of the memo we got cant say who from but product placement should give it away

At the moment there is no law preventing you from using any safety camera warning device (19 July 2004)

The department of transport have published a document outlining the proposed ban that states that it will prohibit the carriage of devices that either inhibit the proper function (laser or radar jammers) of a safety camera or detect the presence of a functioning safety camera (radar detectors)

Devices that use satellite positioning systems such as the road angel to give driver’s early warning of a speed camera will remain legal

Ministers believe that there is no problem with drivers simply being reminded of an approaching camera which should be highly visible anyway under rules introduced two years ago
The ban will instead focus on devices which tell drivers whether or not safety camera housing contains a live camera or a device that jams the signal of a live safety camera

The road angel and the new road angel do not transmit a signal and also do not detect any radar signals so will not come under the currently proposed ban
Hamish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things occur to me:

1. Laser detectors (such as the plug-in one on my 'classic' Road Angel) aren't there to detect 'speed cameras' per se, but to detect the signals from a police officer's laser speed detector, which may or may not include a camera (it might have a speed readout only and rely on the officer's eyesight or binoculars to read the index number, for example). And so perhaps you would only be breaking the law if the officer on the motorway bridge had a camera linked to the laser gun, and you wouldn't if he didn't?

2. What is the definition of 'detect' - as in "detect the presence of functioning speed cameras"? Could it not be argued that a database in say a Road Angel or in TomTom or whatever, by pointing out "here is a speed camera and it works because someone has kindly uploaded this information in the past" is 'detecting' its presence?? Hope not... but I reckon we'll need to see one or two test cases to establish the law fully, assuming this paper becomes a Bill and is passed.

FWIW

Hamish
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently detect cameras using my eyes. Maybe I'd better drive with my eyes shut to avoid breaking the law Laughing
ianst28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so from what i can work out and no'one can give me a straight answer all the old radar detectors eg snooper s1 etc will be illegal because they work on radar but the road angel and snooper s6/s4/s3 will be ok because they work on laser and gps
Twisted Evil
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the first radar traps were introduced people were prosecuted for putting up roadside warning signs. This subject is not a black & white issue and has many anomolies. Under the current Wirless & Telegraphy Act it is not illegal to receive signals not meant for public reception. The only legal requirement is that the person receiving the signal ceases to receive it as soon as they are aware that they are not entitled to receive it. That's why scanning radios that cover police bands are not illegal. it is illegal, however, to continue to listen to a polce broadcast once you are aware it is patently a police transmission. Laser detectors and diffusers will probably be banned because their sole purpose is to detect or interfere with an incoming police laser gun signal and to prevent a speed reading being taken by transmitting a corrupting return signal for as long as the gun is attempting to get a reading. The banning of laser garage door openers will generate a whole raft of legal challenges because they are, ostensibly, designed to open garage doors and will shut down automatically within 5 seconds of receiving an unauthorised signal which still gives the police plenty of time to get a reading and gives the driver very little chance of reducing speed to avoid being caught.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: