Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WARNING: Grey import iPAQs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING: Grey import iPAQs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radio channel thing affects the 802.11b (Wi-Fi) radio. There's 13 channels that can be chosen for 802.11b and 802.11g operation in Europe; a Malaysian specification iPAQ hx4700 will not see any wireless networks on channels 12 and 13.

This is more of an issue than you may think, as 802.11b/g channels overlap - ideally you need to be five clear channels away from all other wireless networks. I can't quite manage this in my setup, as someone else has a wireless network on channel 10. I find that using channel 1 for one of my wireless networks, and channel 13 for the other works best (even though theoretically 1 and 6 is the best choice).

Bluetooth is identical on Malaysian specification and UK specification machines.

You will not have the four free iPAQ Choice points as a voucher in the box of a Malaysian specification machine.

I think your comments on the warranty are correct; proof only comes when you try to make a warranty claim. It's a shame that HP seem to have warranty checkers that disagree with each other, so you don't know which one is definitive.

The Malaysian specification hx4700 I had didn't have a section of the box label removed, so I've no idea what may have been concealed.

If you're bothered enough to be posting, I suspect you're bothered enough for it to be worth trying to track down a #ABU UK specification machine. At the very least, I'd get in touch with the retailer you bought this machine from and maybe one or two others to see if you can get a #ABU machine. It took me a little time, but landed up costing me less than £10.

David
PDAonline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: UK Grade PDAs Reply with quote

Good day,

I have been reading this tread with great interest.

It's evident in the forums here that people are always shopping around to get the latest technological gadgets at the lowest price possible, this is fully understandable as we all do it from time to time. For this reason Internet PDA companies compete with one another to have the lowest prices in much the same that other companies compete. The PDA market has now become very cut throat, and it seems that some retail companies have gone to the extent of selling grey import PDAs to gain a lead on competitors as they can then easily compete with competition by having the lowest price.

We have spoken to Hewlett Packard regarding warranty cover with non-UK PDAs in the UK and they illustrated to us that as a customer you may have issues getting total cover. Therefore ‘PDA Online’ only retail ABU (UK) stock and sell it at the lowest price possible which is published on our online shop.

Thanks for reading
g1nzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received an IPAQ 5550 which came from the USA

My concern is that the Box is just plain brown cardboard
and the only label on it says Ipaq 5550 with the number
0493682 NFG USA
why main concern ( without opening the box )
is will the WiFi channels be O.K for use in the UK ??
if not what can i do re sending it back

I cant see the Serial number on the Box
intrinsic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: SuperEtrader & HX 4700 Reply with quote

Just to follow up on my previous post. As promised SuperEtrader swapped out my grey import Ipaq even after I had used the item for 3 weeks. My import even developed a fault one week previous to swap out and they even offered to send me a replacement before they sent out my UK model.

That's what I call excellent service!!
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not opened the goods then i would recommend that you ship it back to your supplier, but the choice is yours. You are correct that the strip that has been removed would have indicated not to be sold in Europe. Totalpda have a partnership with HP, we now over Free software worth up to £50 on all purchases of branded new HP handhelds. We have a strict policy of not selling grey market stock, which is not meant to be sold in Europe. HP has and will take legal action against any company that has been found to supply grey market stock. .
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that post will not make sense to anyone as i did not realise the thread carried on it was in reply to

chrisnel Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:37 pm Post subject: Wi-Fi Issues
sg16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only just joined the Website and Forum I am catching up on this information. Unaware of these grey versions I purchased a Ipaq 5550 from Widget in June 04 as part of a GPS bundle and on now checking my box I find that I have been sold a Malaysian version. I now know why I couldn't get the wirefree to work at the office.

I guess I know the answer Crying or Very sad but do any legal bods out there think I have any grounds on which to return the unit for a replacement. I haven't been able to find anything on Widgets website warning that these were imports.

Steve
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give them a email and see what they say.
scrumble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they've sold it without warning you, then it 'is not fit for the purpose for which it is sold' and are in breach of The Sale of Goods Act 1979. But as its been left so late you'd struggle to prove its not fit for use Confused
sg16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for delay in updating but have been away on hols for a couple of weeks. Very pleased to report that Widget instantly and without question, put their hands up to the sale of the grey 5550 and have now fully refunded my payment. Smile They blamed a supplier (make of that what you will) and say they no longer sell PDA's.

Given Steven Gourlay willingness on this and other threads to deal with comments and complaints, which no-one else seems prepared to do, I contacted Steven at TotalPDA who put the sales staff in contact and who couldn't have been more helpful, and a new 4700 was with me within days and in time for my holidays.

I can't be more satisfied. :D
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could be of assistance, enjoy your PDA.
gps_man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone sells grey imports, HP only wnet after expansys as they are big, I have reported 3 other sites to them but they do nto give a damn, check QABU number if you want to make sure

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: