Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux CR-100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux CR-100
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamOntario
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reviewing the joys of many here, I bought a CR100 thru an eBayer last week. My iPAQ H3850 locks up as soon as it finishes loading map data. At 1st I thought it was my SD card problem with the CR100. Having tried 2 more SD cards and many soft resets with no joy. I have only the SmartST running on my iPAQ. I begin to worry that this CR100 does not like my iPAQ. Any clues to try appreciated!

My iPAQ has ROM version 1.15 and apparently it works with my Navman SE sleeve with SmartST V2 though the accuracy is very poor sometimes.

I wonder if upgrading to ROM 1.2 will help. I hesistate to upgrade to ROM 1.2 as it will remove the SmartST and registration that I might not be able to register online again or a lot of hassale to get it to work again.

Appreciate any help.
IanD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: XDAII and CR-100 update Reply with quote

OK, after a while trying the phone on, but starting TomTom before connecting to the CR-100 I can conclude that they don't like each other. Every long journey has resulted in a crash (XDA, not the car!) if the phone is left running. Turn on flight mode to disable the phone and everything is fine.

Wonder how much I could get for the CR-100 on Ebay? Looks like I'll be going back to Bluetooth, but then you run in to headset problems....

Ian Confused
kickstart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
Sorry to hear you've reached the same conclusion as I have. I've actually taken the SIM card out of the XDA and got myself another phone. As you've concluded everything works OK when the phone part of the XDA is de-activated.
Regards
Colin
SamOntario
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, I upgraded my H3850 to version 1.20, still no joy, the IPAQ freezed at loading map.

Last night, I loaded 2005 pocket PC and it worked.

Today I loaded another software from a friend and it worked with just Ontario Map about (36MB). The CR-100 must have been limited to some smaller map. My Navman SE 3450 has no problem with maps larger than 200MB.

Will someone confirm if maps over a certain MB, say 200MB will have problems with this CR100.
SamOntario
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: XDAII and CR-100 update Reply with quote

IanD wrote:
OK, after a while trying the phone on, but starting TomTom before connecting to the CR-100 I can conclude that they don't like each other. Every long journey has resulted in a crash (XDA, not the car!) if the phone is left running. Turn on flight mode to disable the phone and everything is fine.

Wonder how much I could get for the CR-100 on Ebay? Looks like I'll be going back to Bluetooth, but then you run in to headset problems....

Ian Confused

If it only happens on long journeys, then the problem will probably be the IC quality - seized due to overheat? Bad/inferior voltage regulator? Interference by electro-magnetic field (SIM Card)? I begin to wonder if this is an inferior product without any substantial functional testing before put onto the market.

I will not sell it on eBay - we do not want the way the manufacturer or the distributor cheated us to cheat others.
EVOII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i've just bought an I-mate Jam. Does anyone know if the CR-100 will support the Jam?

Thanks

Dave
ashleey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: External antenna socket and Holux CR-100 Reply with quote

Could someone who owns one of the Holux CR-100 GPS cradles tell me if there is a socket for connecting an external GPS antenna?

My car has the reflective glass so I've wired up an antenna on the roof. I'm looking to buy the Holux to simplify my set up and avoid the TTN3 bluetooth dropout problem (which still exists despite the ROM update to the Ipaq 2210, it's definitely caused by POIs on an SD card).

Thanks in advance.

Ashley
IanD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley,

There isn't an external antenna socket on the CR-100 at present. May be something that's added in the future. Maybe Holux can give you some advice.

Ian
MadMunky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: MDA III Reply with quote

Hi everyone I recived my cradle to day and have to say it works a treat only one problem, on my pda as i use if you work it connects to GPRS every 10Mins and download data from a server but when the pda is connected to the cradle this fails and i have to remove the pda from the cradle and reboot it to get it working again, anyone got any ideas?

Just need to work out how to hard wire the power connector so dont have cables running all over the shop Smile
MadMunky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also forgot to say, on tomtom 2004 it doesnt let me use any onscreen keyboard just the one of the MDA, anyone know how to fix this?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try unchecking the data connection tab in the activesync options i use this wih a xda2i and have no problems at all as an hgv driver its usually on from when i get up to when i finish for the day usully `15 or so hours and havent had a crashed pda at all

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
D1NGB0T5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
There isn't a CR100 for the JAM unfortunately.
Have to stick to bluetooth.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been Using the Holux for a week now and thought I'd report back on how I find it. Using an Orange SPV M2000, NavMan Smart ST V3 and said Holux cradle.

Firstly, I'm no SatNav expert and its my first foray into the world of navigation but, hey, it works. Ran for several hours and guided me back from London to North Yorks without any problems. Plug and Play so to speak. Nothing that the user guide for Navman couldn't help me with. Simple and does the job.

Some issues though:

I get the 'Connecting to XXXXX' pop-up too. Seems like my PDA thinks its in the USB cradle. Irritating but probably a Windows/PDA issue rather than the Holux but it would be good if between them all they might find a solution.

Sound: The amplifier needs a switch on it. Even turning down the volume to zero, without anything plugged in, means a phone-enabled PDA does (as mentioned by other posters) render the unit unusable as it goes bonkers with interference. Its not just during calls. All the time you're driving you hear that dik..digga...dig....digga sound of your phone logging onto the next cell. Drives ya mad!!! I realise I've screwed my warranty but I just had to remove the back and disconnect the speaker. Simple enough with no wire-cutting. Just unplug them from the PCB and put 'leccy tape round them, tuck them away. Sorted. My M2000 is quite loud anyway so speaker is redundant.

Mounting options could be better. The suction mount is fine but I prefer to firmly mount my cradles as its easier to view a wobble free screen and press buttons when its well and truly screwed to the dash. But this is more of an issue with suction mounts generally since the Holux one certainly works well at its job.

But the worst issue for me is that starting navMan in the cradle the system locks up on hitting the 'I agree' button at the licence screen. Soft reset time. Starting NavMan out of the cradle then inserting... no problems but since inserting the PDA into the cradle is a 2-handed task, its a liablility and needs to be addressed. Once again, not necessarily just a Holux issue but they and the software producers need to talk to each-other to find a solution as you might end up chewing some shrubbery if you're on the road at the time.

So I'd say its a good all-in-one solution but not perfect. mounting options need to be addressed (IMHO, the 'sc-fi technology abounds in my motor' look will be particularly passe in a year or so. It'll only take one stand-up comedian to ensure that, so the ability to chose some more elegant mounting options would be a marketing priority). If they can address the issues presented by PDAs and software trying too hard to be clever it would be a good product. My girlfriend hates technology that doesn't work. No patience for it. (I should know, I bought an early Philips DVD recorder and she pointed out that VHS at least managed to recorded Casualty!!!). I would be reluctant to let her use this cradle because she'd embarrass me at dinner by telling me it doesn't work. It does, but you have to know the workarounds so I think some work needs to be done to make the good concept a reality.
wsw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Replaceable connectors? Reply with quote

In your review you say that: "Holux also have a changeable base connector which can be unscrewed and replaced with a different connector so you will not have to change the cable when you buy a different PDA with a different style connector." The description on the Holux Uk web-site also implies that the connector is user-replaceable. However, neither the Holux web-site nor other sites selling the CR-100 advertise the connectors separately. Holux UK didn't answer my email asking about this, and before I tried them again I wondered if anyone had any information about this.

Thanks.

Scott
rickyboysimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone found a solution to the feedback/interference problem from the xdaII/pda2k pda phones.

Just got mine, the gps navigation using tomtom is great but the hands free is total crap. Anyone help?

Cheers

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: