Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to cope with vertical windscreen in classic vehicle ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to cope with vertical windscreen in classic vehicle ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: How to cope with vertical windscreen in classic vehicle ?? Reply with quote

I have the Palm Zire 31 GPS Bundle, which works fine for me.

We also have a classic VW splitscreen bus, which I also use the GPS in, however because the windscreen is almost vertical, and the roof extends above the windscreen in a 'peaked cap' type way, so the GPS receiver doesn't get a very good 'view' of the sky, so typically I will see 1-2 less sattelites than I would in the car.

We still manage to maintain GPS tracking most of the time, but in city centres we often get below 3 sattelites, and tracking is lost, but I wonder if anyone has any idea's (other than an external aerial which is not an option) which might help.

Currently I mount the GPS receiver 'flat' at the bottom right corner of the windscreen, which seems the best position, but I wondered if anyone has tried mounting it 'top out' against the glass, or if one of those silly carphone aerial stick on 'amplifier' things would be any use at all ???

The design of the vehicle looks like this to give you an idea what I am whittering about:

lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try a side window, or if you have a sunroof that's not metallic then you could place the receiver under that.

Nice car...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holux GM210 wired GPS receiver is waterproof and has a magnetic base, so you could stick it on the roof and get a good view of the sky
Robin
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblackmore pse see pm
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was struggling with this on Sunday, and discovered by accident that the receiver seems to be much more sensitive on one side than the others !! I guess this is obvious when you think about it.

I normally have the indicator light facing backwards into the car, so I can see it flashing when it has a lock, however I found that if I point the receiver forwards, so the indicator light is on the left side and wire points towards the back of the vehicle, then the GPS performance is MUCH better.

Just to give an example, I made the exact same journey twice on Sunday (back and forth to a wedding in the middle of nowhere), the first journey the receiver was 'sideways' with led pointing backwards, and I had NO GPS position for the entire 20 minute journey apart from two 10 second 'blips' where i got located.

The second journey, I had pointed the receiver 'forward', and I maintained GPS lock the entire time, with 4-7 sattelites the whole time.

Don't know why I didn't think of this in the first place, but if your having trouble with signal strength don't just try moving the receiver around the car, but try pointing it in different directions in case this helps !!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: