Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera nets £4.2m in fines
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera nets £4.2m in fines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omertron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Speed camera nets £4.2m in fines Reply with quote

BBC News Story

Well, I for one am grateful for the speed camera database, and I hope this one is in there! Smile

As a discussion point... If these particular roads are so dangerous, shouldn't we do something about the design of the roads, rather than making cash from drivers?

Would you support cameras in these areas if the cash was used to improve the saftey of the road and not line the governments pockets?

Stuart
Gordon68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Real cause Reply with quote

I read somewhere that a lot of deaths on the roads occur at night. Maybe some of the more dangerous roads should be lit. For the day, maybe headlights should be on.

This speed camera population explosion looks more like beating the serfs into submission than dealing with dangerous roads and dangerous drivers.

Anyway three cheers for GPS speed camera detectors.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed camera nets £4.2m in fines Reply with quote

Omertron wrote:
If these particular roads are so dangerous, shouldn't we do something about the design of the roads, rather than making cash from drivers?

Fixing the road costs money but installing speed scameras earns money. Guess which one they are going to do.

Maybe there should be a special POI database for scameras which are deliberately located in nasty places so they will be difficult to see. There are a few which are hidden behind bushes (trimmed in front of the camera but no behind) or directly behind large road signs.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if a larger portion of the billions of pounds raised (per year) by the road fund licence, the tax on insurance, and the tax of fuel, etc was actually spent on the upkeep (including safety improvements) of all of our roads and other means of transport. Rolling Eyes
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Supersnapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: HELP!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi Folks, Only had my TTG just over a week, downloaded the uk speed camera data base within a day or so every thing working fine.

Guess what, got home from work today and opened a letter from the "Safety Camera Unit" saying I had been done for doing 82mph on a 70mph dual carriageway back in January, Does anybody know anyone who has got away with this type of offence using the advice by the ex police officer who advertises on this website.

Cheers

Graham Crying or Very sad
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always plead insanity and that you're not fit to drive a car. But if you succeed, it means you'll probably lose your license and your will to live.

Unfortunately if you speed (and get caught speeding) then they will throw the book at you.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime! 8O

Since being caught for speeding once in 1991 and had several near misses (luckily with cameras that didn't have any film left in them), I've reduced my speed dramatically over time. I won't say I don't drive over the limit, but I am more aware of the road, the surroundings and do drive a lot slower than I used to.
Supersnapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reassuring words Dave, I am not some young nut with a death wish, I just put my foot down to overtake a car that was doing about 65mph as soon as I overtook it I was back down to 70mph. As I said before just my luck.

But I would be grateful if anybody has ever got off with this type of offence to let me know how they did it PLEASE!!

Cheers

icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guess what, got home from work today and opened a letter from the "Safety Camera Unit" saying I had been done for doing 82mph on a 70mph dual carriageway back in January, Does anybody know anyone who has got away with this type of offence using the advice by the ex police officer who advertises on this website.
Well, if you were genuinely sppeding accept your punishment. However, you say that the offence was back in january and you have only just received notification.
Exceeding the speed limit is one of a number of offences that requires you to be served with a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) within fourteen days of the offence.

If you have not been given the notice within 14 days (ignoring the day of the offence) then they cannot proceed against you unless an exception applies, so that is your only Get Out Clause.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Supersnapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, Thanks for the reply. The offence was on the 2nd January 2005, I drive a company car (leased) would that make a difference and are you 100% sure about the 14 days.

Cheers

icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failure to serve a NIP where the police could not 'with reasonable diligence have ascertained the name and address of the accused in time for service of the summons or notice within the 14 day period', for example if you drive a hire car, company car or you were not the registered keeper, is one of the 'exceptions' i'm afraid. So on this occasion there is no escape from prosecution.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Supersnapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, Do you know how long the points stay on your licence.

Cheers

Graham Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually 3 years from the date of the offence.

Sorry I can't be of more help Sad
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Supersnapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian for all you help.

Regards

Graham
Mavrik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want any help and advice regarding fighting a speeding ticket, have a look here

http://pepipoo.com/NewForums2/index.php

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: