Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Instalation problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Instalation problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Instalation problems Reply with quote

Good! Phew! I thought I might have been going mad there for a while! It really does sound like it's the PC version due to the storage options you're getting.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Instalation problems Reply with quote

Mick, been looking back over the previous messages, and I really don't know what to suggest.

I'm assuming you've installed other applications to the Pocket PC before ? Normally when you do this you get a small dialog box that centers on screen that you then get the option of installing software to main memory, storage card etc. Have you ever seen this before ? If so, do you get it with Destinator install ?

iPAQ 3950 should be okay, and I don't think the USB drivers will make a difference.

Can you run ActiveSync on the PC ? If so, make sure that the Pocket PC says it's connected (green icon), and also check the version you're running. Go into Help | About. You should be aiming for 3.5 or higher. If you have something lower than this, download and update ActiveSync from here.

Have you tried contacting PowerLOC who developed Destinator ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Mick, which model of Compaq Pocket PC do you have ?

What type of storage card do you have and size ?

How much space is free on it ?

Nobody to my knowledge has reported this problem ever with Destinator 1, which would suggest to me, you are either trying to install it onto a non Pocket PC device, (eg an older one that isn't running Pocket PC 2002 operating system), or you are trying to install a PC version.

When you install Destinator to the Pocket PC, you do get an icon on the Start menu do you ?    You're not just running an executable that's giving the original error ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Mick, I take it this is Destinator 1 and not Destinator 2 ? When you insert the CD, do you get a dialog box appear stating "No connection with Mobile Device. Make sure that ActiveSync is on and the Mobile Device is connected then press Select Target Device [OK]" ?

You should see 6 menus at top left.
  • Install Software
  • Select Target Device
  • Tutorial
  • User Manual
  • Select Language
  • Exit
Click the Select Target Device.

Are you saying you don't get these options ? Where's the Browse option coming from ? This really doesn't sound like a Pocket PC version to me.

Have you checked the Install Instructions by clicking on User Manual then Installing Navigation Software ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Mick, do you get the install screen above ? If so, when you click Install Software, what options do you get ? Updating drivers won't resolve this issue.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Mick, in that case, it sounds like you have the PC version of Destinator (there is also a PC version). That won't install to a Pocket PC.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Mick, I think you're getting a little confused, from the Install CD you install Destinator on your Laptop. This creates an installer utility like Dave has shown in the screenshot above which runs on your laptop.

You run this installer and initially choose to install the PocketPC Destinator Application 'Install Software' which pushes the app to your PocketPC via ActiveSync. Once this is done you can select the map segments you wish to use and install these either to a storage card on your PocketPC or to system memory.

Hope the explains things a little?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

It sounds like it's transfering okay and you have the correct style of Pocket PC otherwise ActiveSync normally stops it from transferring the files.

Which model of iPAQ do you have ?

What usually happens is you install Destinator on the laptop and you'll have a scren like this

First you would select the top option which is Install Software, install this and it will install files to the Pocket PC (I think you need to select target device first though).

Once completed, you then need to select Install Maps at the bottom left of this screen, tick each map segment you want to load and it should highlight on the map, then click load maps and this should start transferring the maps to the Pocket PC (this will take a good half an hour or more depending on how many maps you install.

Once completed, you should be able to undock the Pocket PC and then run the Destinator icon on the start menu and it should start.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Mick, I don't quite understand what you're saying about with and without conversion ? Are you actually installing Destinator through the installer, installing the application which pops up an ActiveSync window to transfer the files, and then install the maps ?

I'm not aware of any problems installing Destinator.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Excellent, that's good to hear it's finally sorted! Some problems you're faced with aren't quite what they seem, and this one certainly wasn't!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: