Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems viewing the website ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems viewing the website ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Problems viewing the website ? Reply with quote

We've tried to make the Pocket GPS website navigating as easy as possible by including a menu system at the top of each page. This has been extensively tested with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, 6.0 and Netscape Navigator PR7.

If you have any difficulty with your web browser either viewing the menu, or any other aspects of this website, please post a message here and we will investigate any problems and try to resolve these as quickly as possible.

Dave Burrows

Pocket GPS Forum Administrator
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Problems viewing the website ? Reply with quote

Could we have an option to have a "Printable Version" of a review? I like to read the reviews again away from my PC. Using the Windows Print... I get the Links to other articles down the side of the printout which detracts from the content of the article.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

You can print the reviews in landscape mode and this will fit everything on the page, but I know it's not as nice as being able to read it portrait.

We could design a print function, but it would mean duplicating and modifying every article and review we have due to the way the website is pieced together, which would take us quite a long time.

Perhaps I might run this as next weeks poll. If there's enough call for it, then I don't mind doing it, it's just that it takes time away from new reviews to re-work the site.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. If it is not easy to do then certainly don't do it just for me!! I had found that printing in landscape was the best way and as my printer will print backed and 2 per page the output is quite compact.

Richard
EJohnW
Occasional Visitor

When I view the site with IE 5 or 6 all of the headings appear overwritten with the words "Pocket GPS" in white on a black background. When viewed with Netscape 6 the headings are clearly displayed in white or black in a blue background with no interfering overlapping. Is this a setting of mine that I havn't set correctly or does anyone else have the same problem ?    
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Do you mean the header sections of each topic ? eg

Above is how they should look, and I don't see any problem in IE5 or 6, or Netscape 7. Could you do a print screen and paste it into an email message and email me so I can take a look ?
ChrisH
Occasional Visitor

In the forums, while viewing an individual thread, would it be possible to have a button to move forwards / backwards to the next thread, rather than having to come back out to the lists of threads in an individual forum and select the next one?

Also, could there be a way to get an email alert if someone replies to my posting?

Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I'm afraid not Chris. This would require a major forum re-work which would take weeks of coding.

There is an email facility in the forum, but it's disabled. Firstly the email comes through as a badly formatted HTML email which all you see is the HTML code and not the real email, and secondly it's very hit and miss, so this feature was disabled. We are awaiting a newer version of the forum software, but we've made so many modifications, that when we do receive it, we will have to do a lot of re-working to get our modifications in, so I don't think it will be within the next couple of months.
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Oldie on 22 December 2002

Could we have an option to have a "Printable Version" of a review? I like to read the reviews again away from my PC. Using the Windows Print... I get the Links to other articles down the side of the printout which detracts from the content of the article.

If you want to print just a copy of the review I have found that by highlighting the article/review and pressing Control/P you have the choice printing ALL the Page OR just the Highlighted text This may only be available if you have an Epson printer - but its worth a try.

Nigel
russgunn
Regular Visitor

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this at the moment...Although I'm on a 512kb broadband service, pages on this site seem to take a fair while to load up. Perhaps 20-30 seconds. This is especially true of forum pages. I know it's not my connection as other sites are as quick as I expect with broadband. Are the servers at PocketGPS struggling a bit at the moment with the traffic on the site?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

We're just so darn popular, that's the problem! We are aware of it, and we have been working solidly for the past couple of weeks to address this issue, but it means recoding a lot of the back end system. We will have some enhancements which will hopefully address this soon. The site does slow down quite a bit during peak times and also when the states come on line, and go to lunch.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: