Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disgruntled TTN3 User here.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disgruntled TTN3 User here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Disgruntled TTN3 User here. Reply with quote

I still class myself as a relative newbie to the whole SatNav scene, having originally bought TTN2 just prior to TTN3 being released.

Being a complete stranger to this type of software i have to say i was really impressed with the routing and all round performance of TTN2, so when the chance came for me to upgrade for about £17.00 (I think) i jumped at the chance to embrace the many new features and advanced options of TTN3, BIG MISTAKE!!!

I'm not going to go into all of the problems with this software as this has been covered elsewhere within these forums, but the reason for this post, is that i would like to get some independent reviews from COPILOT 5 users.

I must admit that reading the reveiws on this site it does sound an extremely good, reliable, rock solid program. The reveiw alone nearly had me reaching into the coffers to shell out £130.00 for a copy of this software, that was until i also read the review of TTN3, and overall they both got the same percentage (95%). Now I'm starting to get worried!!!

Has anybody on here swapped from the TTN2 or 3 series to COPILOT 5, and if so can you give me an honest opinion as to whether COPILOT is better or worse (surely not possible) than TTN3.

In my opinion TT have shown a complete disregard for their existing customer base in releasing such a substandard product this time round.

I consider myself to be lucky, as i only had to pay a small amount to upgrade to this product, whereas others had to pay substancially more.

I'm a firm believer in the saying, once bitten twice shy, and i now intend to jump ship to a different product, but obviously want to avoid making the same mistake again.

I would appreciate some unbiased feedback on the COPILOT 5 product or indeed any other excellent products that will work on my iPaq 5550 and TT GPS receiver that are currently available.

Many thanks,

Carl.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carl,

I used TTNav 2 and then upgraded to TTNav 3. TTNav 3 is my primary SatNav package and CoPilot is my secondary one. At the moment the CoPilot maps are slightly more up-to-date than the TomTom ones, but this will probably change soon.

I don’t know what problems you’re experiencing with TTNav 3. Have you upgraded to the latest version of 3.07?

I prefer the GUI of TTNav3 to CoPilot and I also find TTNav more intuitive to use than CoPilot. Plus TTNav has easier to use custom POIs.

CoPilot has a number of known problems as well. I got CoPilot because it has Navteq maps and covers the Channel Islands. Have a look at the Jersey report for further information.

You may also like to read the forum thread that relates to the Jersey report.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithers, have you updated your version of TomTom3 to 3.07 (or, at very least, 3.03)? Those updates solved lots of the problems people had with the initial release.
Smithers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i am using 3.07, but the visual instuctions do not tie up with the verbal instructions, eg you come up to a island whereby you need to take the third turn on the right, the map shows it as the forth turn on the right, and counts an oncoming dual carraige way as an exit!!

The maps are so inaccurate it's untrue, i apreciate that this is not dierctly down to TT, but they are supplying the product, and as such they are my first point of contact with issues with their product.

Not only am i looking for a better option now, i have also been asked to cost up a new PDA and relevant software for the MD of the company i work for, the way i feel at the moment TTN3 is not an option.

Do you know if and when the next release of TT will be coming out, and more importantly will the maps be more up to date? I know you mention in your reply that this will probaby change soon, do you know something us mere mortals don't? Wink
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carl,

Smithers wrote:
Do you know if and when the next release of TT will be coming out, and more importantly will the maps be more up to date? I know you mention in your reply that this will probaby change soon, do you know something us mere mortals don't? Wink

If only! I wish that, as a moderator, I had direct communication with TomTom so that I knew when the successor to TTNav 3 will be released, and what the changes are (to maps and software). Unfortunately I don't! Crying or Very sad

However, going on past performance, Cebit is a very important event so I’m hoping that we’ll see an announcement then. Thumbs Up

As far as maps are concerned, have a look at www.multimap.com, which uses Tele Atlas maps. If the roads are there now, hopefully they will be in the next TomTom Navigator version.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We naturally can't discuss any release dates until TomTom make a public announcement but going on past form we would expect any such news to surface at CeBit in Hannover next month.

I'm a heavy user and TomTom3 is my preferred software, map issues are a problem but the UI more than make up for this (IMHO). I certainly don't have any major gripes with it and have yet to find a better solution at any price. Despite having access to most of the competition I still find myself returning to TomTom.
Smithers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your feedback Privateer & Diplo.
I just thought i would double check i did have 3.07 running, i do remember upgrading before christmas, but i was only running 3.03 Embarassed

My apologies (I did say i was a newbie! Confused )

Hopefully i will see a marked improvement after i have this build loaded!
I'll keep my eyes pinned to this site for further information.

Once again Thanks! Thumbs Up
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately version patches don't usually fix mapping problems, but they are non-the-less worth trying. I can understand your frustration with map inacuracies, but these (to some extent) will plague all GPS packages. Granted, the map data used in TT3 are getting a little old now and some more recent applications have better data. However, to some extent, it depends on where abouts in the country you mainly travel - I've had very few problems with TT3 whenever I've used it. You do, though, need to have confidence in the software, so I can understand your position.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: