Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with TT3 after WM2003 Upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with TT3 after WM2003 Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Problems with TT3 after WM2003 Upgrade Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've been happily using a Fortuna Clip-ON BT GPS, and an Ipaq 3970 under PPC 2002 for a while now. Unfortunately I decided to migrate to WM2003 to beat the upgrade deadline, and now I've started to have problems.

I've managed to get the GPS to bond, and TomTom works properly - for between 10 and 20 minutes. The map then freezes - and if you switch to 'gps', the row of 'moving dots' is frozen - suggesting that data is no longer being transferred. If you then un-tick the GPS box, and immediately re-tick it, the program recovers.

This behaviour seems to occur using the Fortuna in either Sirf or NMEA modes. I've applied TTN3 GPS3.07 upgrades and the navigator patch, and the recent HP Bluetooth patch - all to no effect. Has anybody any idea of other things that I might try, before backing out this 'improved' microsoft junkware completely?

Cheers,
Chris
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done a hard reset after applying the 2003 ROM update?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ChrisM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,

The WM2003 upgrade process seemed to hard reset it during install - it certainly prompted for the 'press screen in each corner and then copy and paste this calendar entry' routine afterwards.

I'll give it another go, and try reinstalling TTN3 again. Is there any chance that this freezing could be SD card related? I'm currently using a 512mb 'PNY' 66x card, badged 'Toshiba/Made in Japan' on the rear. Although this is a new upgrade - I tried it briefly on PPC2002, and didn't have any problems with it.

Chris
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card is likely not the problem.

When you re-install TomTom, do you mind skipping the GPS driver install and using TT GPS 2.07 instead (from our downloads page). Also, don't install from the CD, use the TTN 3.07 "upgrade" directly (it will install a full version)

Wha tyou also will want to do is run the connection with Crux_View or another GPS test tool, to exclude any non-TomTom related issues

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ChrisM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've tried with the 2.07 GPS driver - and that has made no difference. I also tried running the Fortuna in ST rather than XT mode - and that too still results in freezing. I then tried a hard reset and an install from the disk, followed by a patch to TTN 303 - but again, no joy. I'll try your suggestion of using crux_view or similar tonight. Thanks for the help - it's much appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris
ChrisM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick trial later suggests that Cruxview managed to keep the signal for around an hour without losing it. Tomtom usually only manages 20-30 minutes. A hard reset later, and a clean reinstall of TTN3.07, shows that the problem is still present though. When the signal is dropped, the bluetooth light on the ipaq continues to flash - but the blue light on the fortuna doesn't.

I'll think about trying a reinstall of WM2003 to see if that cures the problem., or failing that a reversion to PPC2002.

Chris
Razor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the exact problem with my 2750 and 307 CF card with maps installed on SD card. It looks like the problem is with the TomTom GPS Driver hanging after working for a bit. I've downgraded from 3.07 to 2.07 as well to see if it cures the problem, but I'm not optimistic.

If you just have the TT GPS software running for a bit you will see it die.
This does not happen if I run the GPSinfo software provided with the card.

Well I guess I'll see in about 20 mins.
Razor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.07 didn't fix the problem Crying or Very sad

If only there was a way for TT to query GPSinfo instead!

Hopefully someone will come up with a fix or workaround.
ChrisM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that in the end I lost patience with it, and reverted to PPC 2002. This worked fine - until I discovered yet another 'feature'. I borrowed an external battery/CF jacket from another IPAQ, and plugged it into my old one. TTN3 (by this time back on PPC 2002) proceded to work fine for around fifteen minutes, followed by a hang. One reset later it would work fine for hours. Without the jacket on, no hanging whatsoever.

I'm afraid that I'm now of the opinion "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If anybody has any ideas as to a fix for the WM2003 hangs, please shout up. At present it looks as though I've given HP sixty quid for a coaster... :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: