Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ActiveSync 3.7 isn't reliable, you could try telling Outlook to "Detect and Repair". If it's still not reliable, you could try upgrading to ActiveSync 3.7.1 - though make sure you've got the later Build 4034 version, as the earlier Build 3244 version has problems. If you get Build 3244, which I think is no longer available from the Microsoft web site, download 3.7.1 again and install in the hope it's Build 4034.

3.7 was stable on my system, but an upgrade to 3.7.1 Build 4034 was forced by buying a Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Pocket PC.

Microsoft have dropped support for Windows 98, and my experience is that all DOS based versions of Windows (that is everything except Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003 Server) are nowhere near as robust as the "NT" versions. It's quite hard to trash XP, particularly if you run most of the time with non-Administrator privileges.

Left over icons from uninstalled software in the Start Menu and Programs screen can be found and deleted from the \Windows\Start Menu folder on the Pocket PC. You can use the built-in File Manager, a third party File Manager (I recommend Resco Explorer 2003 highly - it's much better than the built-in File Manager) or ActiveSync's Explore function. If using ActiveSync, you need to double click My Pocket PC first to get from My Documents to the root directory of the Pocket PC.

David
MikeT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help, it had me jumping through hoops for a while but I managed I think to get rid of it all eventualy without connecting to my pc. The extra start menu pointing to Falk Navigator was a bit stubern but went in the end.

My activsync is v3.7.1 4034 after all, I originally installed it as Guest as I saw no reason to want to sync my pc to it for outlook, did I do wrong here I wonder.

Avantgo V3.3.864 seems to have installed itself on my pc and doesnt appear in my add/remove programmes list so I'm not sure if I should try and remove it.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AvantGo is installed as part of ActiveSync, and will remove with it. There is a later version of AvantGo available from the AvantGo site, but I don't recommend it for various reasons.

The reference to Guest is, I presume, you talking about not setting up a partnership, but telling ActiveSync just to connect as a Guest. I use partnerships as I synchronise various information between my Pocket PC and desktop PC.

You really need ActiveSync installed, as a lot of software installs from the PC through ActiveSync. It can be a bit troublesome at times, but usually is fairly trouble free once you've got your partnership created.

David
MikeT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is what I have now guys, oh and if you think this is the wrong place for this problem please can a mod move it over for me.

I deleted activesync from the w98se pc and avantgo was still present in control panel and I could open it.
I cant find its uninstal anywhere. Its not in c:\program files.

I reinstalled activesync 4034 and tried to sync with the pda, it wouldnt. Checked my usb 1.1 ports were ok by using my card reader through them.
Did another hard reset on the pda and activesync then connected ok, but..I still get a complete pc system reboot around 20 seconds after opening pc file explorer so I now have a pda that I cant get data to or from 8O
PC device manager shows no errors or confilicts, shows 2 usb root hubs and 2 pci to usb universal host controllers, my 2 usb ports are on the mobo.

Oh the pda is powered from its mains adaptor so I cant think its drawing too much current on the usb port.

I'm not quite sure how to proceed now.
DJJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: MyGuide 6500XL Reply with quote

I've just bought one of these from my local LIDL (I think there's one more left !).

What I'd like to know is will a 1GB SD card work OK in it, and is there a limit when larger cards are brought out in the future ?

Thanks

Dave
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Yes A 1MB SD card works fine, I use one in the 6500xl with all my US TomTom Maps on it with no problems,

Personally using a cheap generic SD card I got off ebay cheap and have no problems with that, so can't see there being a problem with any brand

Nothing bigger to try at the moment,

Hope That Helps

Richard
pc99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I too bought one of these fantastic deals. However there is a downside to buying from somewhere like Lidl.

My unit has developed a fault, with the battery I think. It simply won't stay powered on even after a full charge.

Because Lidl have completely sold out, I have to return it to Germany for a replacement. They are paying for courier pickup, so it's not going to cost anything, but I'm unlikely to get my replacement before the new year.

But when it was working it was great. I just hope I was unlucky and there's not a whole batch about to go pop.
Anyway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that the MyGuide will automatically power off after a few minutes of inactivity? This can by configured in the System Power Supply settings. (Mine is German, so I can't give you the terms used in the English menus.)

Joachim
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickH wrote:
Personally using a cheap generic SD card I got off ebay cheap and have no problems with that, so can't see there being a problem with any brand

Unfortunately such an assumption is a bit like playing Russian Roulette. There are at least two types of SD cards available - sometimes under some fairly respected brands - that are troublesome. If you search the forums for the number of times I've asked people for markings on their SD card, you'll see just how common an issue this is.

This post describes the types I believe to be troublesome.

David
Roamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Myguide 6500 LIDL Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I have just come back after a long 6 day holiday period, and I was in London for then. The places I visited were completely new to me, and I was exicted to put the Falk Navigator to test. I did go arround Enfield,Barking,Datford,HertfordshireCentral London. Though I felt a bit nervous using the navigator,and driving in unknown roads, I should say, the falk navigator definitely has been good. There were a couple of places where it did not spot the roundabouts, probably they were new, and I was able to use the road signs for that. Even in two cases, Instead of driving straight ahead at the round about, I took a wrong exit to see how the system worked, and it DID re plot a new route for me. But mind you, 'am a beginner to SatNav, and 'am a safe driver. So if you are one of my kind, you Will not be bothered about speed cams :P So i would rather stick on to Falk, than spending any thing more on TomTom. I has been a good driving experience with the Falk program, so i feel i should give the credit for it. I did about 78mph on the M25/M11, and did not use the external antenna. Every thing was still fine.
Houdini
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Myguide 6500 LIDL Reply with quote

Roamer wrote:
So if you are one of my kind, you Will not be bothered about speed cams

Quote:
I did about 78mph on the M25/M11,

Errrrr.... Rolling Eyes
garyf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Brodit Holder Reply with quote

Hi,

Just confirming that the My Guide 6500XL fits Brodit holder (# 968606) fine. I actually went for the hard wired version, which has the cable coming out of the rear, rather than the bottom of the cradle.

I drilled four holes in the "windscreen" mount, and fixed the Brodit in place of the supplied holder. It looks really neat, and allows the cradle to rest firmly on the dashboard top.

And of course, the real bonus is that there's no risk of damage to the PPC connector from that rediculously heavy charging cable. :D
Roamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: 6500XL Reply with quote

The only downside was, even though i had changed the settings so that the screen does not go blank, I still had the problem that the screen switched it self off for every 10 or 20min even though it was connect to the car power supply!!. I did 78mph on certain areas, just to see if the receiver still picked up the signal. Has anybody bought any screen protectors for 6500xl?
MikeT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after my troubles with the usb connection on my pc crashing back to a reboot when I connected the pda, I removed activesync and the problem didnt go away, in fact the pc rebooted itself more than ever, to the extent that now I cant really use it or as yest find the problem.

Anyway I set up activesync on my laptop and that works fine Wink

So I deleted the Falk s/ware and installed Tom Tom 3 with UK maps.

I havnt had time to test in to the same degree that I did with Falk but I have noticed that if you are say 100yds from a road that TT will insist on placing your marker on that road and not where you actually are.
Falk didnt care and just placed your marker where you were.

Is this what others have found?

Are there any "heads up" that I should take note off before installing the speed camera files?

Cheers

Mike.
SpaceCadet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera files Reply with quote

Hi

The Only way 've been able to install the speed camera files is to install GpsGate & then Travel-iLE, this works fine WHEN it works as my Travel-iLE keeps locking up & I can't stop/end task/remove - I have had to reset my PDA twice now & reinstall - any body else had this problem?

Cheers - Rob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: