Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Arkon’s new Powered Multimedia PDA Mounts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Arkon’s new Powered Multimedia PDA Mounts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Arkon’s new Powered Multimedia PDA Mounts Reply with quote

I am coming to the conclusion that the multimedia mount is my best option but I will be using an external GPS that will be using my sync port on my Ipaq 3630.

The previous posts talk about not being able to use the supplied USB->Sync port power cable in this situation. If I understand correctly, doesnt the mount have a 5V DC output socket that could be used to provide power to my Ipaq 3630 with a simple DC round plug into the the bottom of my Ipaq?

Thanks, Ian.
FishSlice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Arkon’s new Powered Multimedia PDA Mounts Reply with quote

An update:

NeilF - No, my arkon mount doesn't have teh GPS usb port. Mine has the speaker input where your GPS port is, and the other is blanked off.

I've since removed base of the arkon clip from the suction mount and glued and screwed it to a ProClip from Brodit. I then slid the arkon mount onto the ProClip+arkon base and hey presto, a very very secure, non moving, non rattling mount :-) And, as its not moving and swaying, it can even cope with the NavMan 3400 sleeve quite happily as well :-)

Now I'm happy
FishSlice
Occasional Visitor

robpow : Sounds to me like you're after the Proclip and Brodit mount. its exactly like you say. Just like the iPaq cradle, only with a plug for the cigarette lighter, you just slot in and go, no cables to plug into the ipaq. If its for the H5450 you still have the speaker problem tho.

You get the proclip designed to fit your specific car (no bolts, glue, screws etc) and order it from handnav

http://www.handnav.co.uk/html/product.php?brand=In-Car%20Mount&category=ACCESSORIES

macima
Occasional Visitor

Don't know if I can edit prev messages, but anyway bit of a typing error in my previous post. It said that I had problems hearing the spreaker - that should read that I had NO problems hearing the spreaker.

Mark Mac
mshah
Regular Visitor

I just ordered the Arkon 506. It's got a 9" windscreen mount arm, compatible with Ipaq 38xx, 39xx, and 54xx. Built in speaker, power to the car cigratte lighter socket and it's got a spare USB slot for powering a mobile phone or something like an Emtac BTGPS.

I'm assuming I can use a standard Ipaq 36xx USB charge cable with the Emtac BTGPS, anyone know where I can get one? Thanks
cejsmith
Regular Visitor

I brought one a couple of weeks ago and it has done very well. I did about 1400 miles in florida over two weeks and never had a problem. I'm using it with a co pilot gps and an ipaq 3970.

colin
Dave
Frequent Visitor

How are you guys getting on witht he CM506 ? We have some here from Seidio, which look identical to the CM506. The one thing I see a problem with is the connections are at the bottom of the mount (big USB plugs, and this stops you resting the mount on the dashboard to stabalise it. I think right angled USB plugs should have been manufacturered and the same for the power cable, this would have made it easier to achieve this.

I like the look, and the speaker is very loud and more than adequate for driving on noisey roads, but I've spent the past hour looking at where I can position it in the car off the windscreen and there's only one place, close to the drivers window and this gets me tons of reflection on the iPAQ screen!

Someone mentioned if it's possible running it from a vent mount. Yes you can. If you've purchased the TomTom Navigator complete kit, pull out the vent mount from there, look at the windscreen mount supplied with the Seidio or Arkon CM506 and on the cradle end there's a bit of flat plastic which slides and locks into place. Unclip this, and clip this onto the TomTom Navigator vent mount, and you can then mount this off your vents.

Downside is that there's no support arm for the TomTom Navigator vent mount, and this is quite a heavy setup, and I'm not too sure how well it would fair going over potholes.
JoeJoe
Occasional Visitor

I've also been trying to figure out what the differences between the Seidio Multi-function Charger Mount Kit and the Arkon CM506 is and have come to the conclusion that it comes in an additional colour - Titanium Silver and can hold an additional 10 lbs. I need one or the other asap so that I can see and hear my 5450 without smashing my car. Has any one used both or have preferences between the two.

I’m thinking of ordering the Seidio version in Silver as it looks cool in the picture with the Ipaq however, it may be more appealing to a thief but then again I guess it would be easy to unclip it from the window right... Also it’s about 10$’s cheaper.

Can some one also tell me if it would be shipped from the US if so will I have to pay Customs, freight and so on or is there a UK distributor.

Dave, your point about the connections being on the bottom surely doesn’t matter if the mount can hold up to 20 lbs. The only reason I can think of is if you’re not confident/not sure that it’s 100% secure hanging from the window or it'll wobble like hell…

Thanks very much,

Joe

Dave
Frequent Visitor

I have the silver and gray versions here, and although I like the look of the silver on the website, I think the dark gray version looks better in-car as it tends to blend more with a darker dashboard.

You can unclip it the clip locks into place, but the only problem is, you've then got the accessory plug cable to worry about unplugging each time. Especially if you wire it into an extension block under a seat it will be a bit of a pain to keep removing it.

When ordering mounts from Arkon in the US customs have basically converted the order total from US dollars to Sterling and then added VAT at 17.5%. This isn't too bad, but the default courier to pick it up over here is Parcel Force, and they then charge a £12 admin fee for paying the customs bill for you (unfortunately you don't get the choice!), so this then can make it quite expensive. Some companies will put a low value down for Customs, I don't know if Seidio will do this, Arkon certainly won't.

The problem with most of the cradles, is that no matter how much weight they'll hold, once hung from the windscreen you'll get play, and when you start getting road vibrations, you'll start to see it bob around slightly. This is one reason why I always suction them to the windscreen but rest them against the dashboard. Firstly it gives them stability so you don't see blurred text when you're trying to read a street name, and secondly it takes the stress away from the suction mount which will mean that it's less likely to come falling off the windscreen.
JoeJoe
Occasional Visitor

In that case I’ll be ordering the Arkon CM506 from the Expansys site for £55.41 all in. http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?sbadd=CM506&code=CM506

Before I place the order can someone please confirm that it’s the windscreen version as it refers to this "The pedestal attaches to your vehicle with a strong 3M adhesive and can easily be detached from the cradle.."

Cheers!

Joe
macima
Occasional Visitor

I've done about 400 miles this weekend and I'm really pleased with the Arkon mount. I found it to hold the 5450 nice and steady and the voice directions volume from TTN2 was great. Going 80 mph, with the stereo up loud and I had problems hearing the next instruction/speed camera warning. No problems with the suction, feels very secure - not much chance of the 5450 falling off. Downsides? None really, this mount allowed me the 5450 and not worry about the speaker issues with this IPAQ.

IMHO, the CM506 is a buy.

Mark Mac
Eagle
Occasional Visitor

Ian,

Have a look at the Seidio Mount. It's the same as the Arkon but doesn't use the serial port for charging.

http://www.seidioonline.com/store/dynamicIndex.asp
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Ian it's not a problem on the 3630 as Seidio supply a USB power lead that plugs into the 3630's power socket leaving the Sync port free for an external GPS. It would be a problem for 38xx and later model users though if they wished to use the integral power supply.
longwori
Regular Visitor

Thanks Eagle and Darren but sorry, I should have been clearer - I was writing about the Arkon Multimedia mount. Is my theory correct for that mount?

I can get the Arkon mount next-day from expansys for about £56 or I could order the Seidio one for $55 (£35) plus 17.5% import tax plus a further £12 admin charge to parcel force = £53

Ian.
longwori
Regular Visitor

I forgot the shipping - a further £8 on the Seidio mount making a total of £61 and a longer wait and more hassle? This is a shame as I prefer the Seidio mount but it doesnt really make financial sense. Its a shame there is no UK distributor for it. Therefore, if I can make the Arkon charge the Ipaq wih a simple lead from its DC Out, all my problems would be solved!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: