Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - London Congestion Charge Zone (CC)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

London Congestion Charge Zone (CC)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gyrex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: London Congestion Charge Zone (CC) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I bought a TomTom Go yesterday and was wondering if there's a way to divert around the congestion charge zone in London. Also, is there some sort of warning that should be displayed before I enter to zone or when a route is being calculated?

Also, Is there a way to search by postcode rather than town, street?

Cheers,

John
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. Thumbs Up

Unlike TTNav3 for the PPC, TomTom GO doesn’t have an option to avoid the London CC zone.

Have a look at this London Congestion Charge POI, which I think was created by Bo Peep.

This POI lists the main roads, not every road that enters the London CC zone. You can use TTGO’s own alert to warn you when you’re approaching the London CC zone.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
WATSON
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite surprised that TTG doesn't have this feature. It's a bit irritating as I am just about to change from TTN3 to a TTG and will be driving down to London over the holidays, something I never did with TTN3. Sad

Anyhow, is this to do with the hardware limitiations of the TTG or something about the transition to the new NavCore engine - do the other NavCore based TomToms have this feature?

Toby.
himpressive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WATSON wrote:
I'm quite surprised that TTG doesn't have this feature. It's a bit irritating as I am just about to change from TTN3 to a TTG and will be driving down to London over the holidays, something I never did with TTN3. Sad

If it is any consolation Toby, our dear Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone has kindly decided that congestion charge will be suspended over the holidays, between 25th of December and the 3rd of January! :D

See http://www.cclondon.com/
gyrex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Response from TomTom Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I took it upon myself to send the TomTom support team an email and this was their response albeit a pass-the-buck one:

Dear Mr Park,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately this is not a feature for the TomTom Go. This would fall under traffic information which is not supported by the TomTom Go, however we do suggest that you keep an eye on our website to keep track of any such updates on features regarding TomTom products.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer 14/12/2004 12.41 AM
To whom it may concern,

I live in London and I recently bought a TomTom Go and I am extremely impressed, however one feature that I feel is lacking is an alternative route around the congestion charge zone in London during a route calculation. Is it possible for me to somehow program this into my TomTom? I would have thought that this feature in the Great Britain edition would have been essential.

Thanks in advance,

John Park
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if TomTom, in Holland, have misunderstood your query and only picked up on the "congestion".
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GO is a consumer device based ont he new Navcore rendering engine. It has quite a few less features compared to TTN3 (the congestion charge just being one of them). I am not sure Tom Tom will "fix" that for the GO.

I would guess this feature will even be missing from the TTN3 successor - what you call TTN2004 or HP Navigation bundle. Feature reduction's the word.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gyrex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the "Go" an inferior device compared to the navigator?? I'm wondering whether this was a good purchase after all....
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Response from TomTom Reply with quote

gyrex wrote:
Hi everyone,

I live in London and I recently bought a TomTom Go and I am extremely impressed, however one feature that I feel is lacking is an alternative route around the congestion charge zone in London during a route calculation. Is it possible for me to somehow program this into my TomTom? I would have thought that this feature in the Great Britain edition would have been essential.

John Park

John, essential in London maybe! But who else cares? Smile
WATSON
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it is any consolation Toby, our dear Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone has kindly decided that congestion charge will be suspended over the holidays, between 25th of December and the 3rd of January! Very Happy

Thanks for the himpressive - very generous of Ken! Do you think I should put him back on my Christmas card list?! Laughing

Hopefully when I do end up driving in London I will actually notice that I have been throught the CC zone and not be so busy with worrying about traffic that I miss all those red 'C's... Smile

Toby.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gyrex wrote:
Is the "Go" an inferior device compared to the navigator?? I'm wondering whether this was a good purchase after all....

It's not inferior, it's targeted at a different, broader audience with less technical knowledge.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Egor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the streets in London that take you into the CC zone are marked in green on the TTG map. You could just make your own POI's to denote these zones. CC does not apply at weekends, YET ! Wink

Congestion Operating Hours: 7am - 6.30pm Monday to Friday.

Mark
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the helpful things with being a Blue Badge holder is that I have a personal 100% exemption from the London Congestion Charge subject to annual re-registration. My car is registered as exempt all the time, and I can nominate other vehicles I'm using or travelling in for a short term exemption. I didn't have to pay a one-off fee as I registered at the beginning of the scheme.

Any other Blue Badge holders who have any reason to visit London can register fairly easily - see www.cclondon.com for details.

Though I'm entitled to make my car exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty, which would make it automatically exempt from the Congestion Charge, I choose not to as it's sometimes used by other family members and I stick strictly to the rule that an exempt vehicle can only be used by, or on behalf of, the person receiving the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance.

That said, I'd rather have decent public transport options so that I didn't have to drive into Central London! Whilst the buses are becoming accessible, there's no accessible way for me, as a power chair user, to get into Central London. Trains are awkward as you tend to have to plan ahead for there to be portable ramps available for you to use, and being in a wheelchair in a wedged train is downright frightening. In any case, none of my local stations are accessible; I'd have to drive half way to London to find a station that is accessible.

To be fair, I do think the Congestion Charge has helped with traffic in Central London, and there do appear to be more buses that are less held up in traffic. However, I appreciate that public transport isn't always the right option for a particular journey, and sometimes deviating from the main roads that are exempt from the Congestion Charge is unavoidable to make a particular journey - so this has led to greater costs of motoring for quite a lot of people.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: