Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having installed TT3 I am getting lots of lock ups but only in Falk.

Any ideas?

Kev
garyf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - to confirm, before I go out and spend £38.00 on the Brodit holder:

http://www.handnav.co.uk/product_details.php?id=103

The bottom connector type/location (positioned a little to the left, looking from the bottom), charging wiring & voltage on the MyGuide 6500XL is the same as the: Amitech/Mitac MIO 168/336, Navman PiN & Yakumo Delta 300?

Thanks,
Gary.[/quote]
Anyway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compared the operation manual of the Yakumo with that of the MyGuide 6500 XL (http://www.myguide-navigator.de/download/Z3AA_Manual_EN_1015.pdf) and came to the conclusion, that it will fit with a probability of 99,9%.

But Shaky can test. If the MyGuide fits in his Medion docking station, the the MyGuide will fit in the Brodit holder as well.

Joachim
Cogsinister
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the GPS module in the Lidl bundle reciever is WASS/EGNOS enabled ?
jimmy_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to my local Lidl store on Saturday, to be told the had sold their GPS units within the first half hour on the day they came out. Are there any left in the shops? If not, does anyone know of a like alternative anywher else?
Pukster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickH, I tried accessing and deleting the files on the 32Mb flashdrive using both windows explorer and Activesynch's explore mode, but they are 'in use' by another app and I cannot delete them. When I select to add/remove the program using Activesynchs tools, the option to remove Falk is grayed out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don't need Falk anymore and wish to delete it.

I got the speed camera audible warnings working, silly me, I hadn't started CheckPOInt3.2 first before running TT3. I have now set up a button to start CheckPOInt3.2, which itself is configured to then start TT3. In this way, a simple button press gives TT3 with speed camera countdown voice alerts at 30 seconds away and 10 seconds away.

I also got a phone called from a nice lady at Lidl promising a cheque for £30 towards a 512Mb SD card. Now thats what I call service!!
Pukster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyD, I think you will not better the Lidl deal anywhere, but you may get close to it by buying a similar unit. I have friends with Mitac Mio168's that are near-identical to my unit, although they are 300Mhz versions. They are running the same apps with no trouble, and paid slightly more than I did for their units. They got theirs from Novatech, you can find them online using Google or similar. There is also a 'Yakumo' brand which is also near identical to the Mio168.
Pukster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry RickH, ignore my last posting, I sussed it. I reset the PocketPC on the side 'reset' switch, then accessed and deleted the Falk files on the flashdisk before Activesynch could cause any 'sharing violation'. Hey presto, one empty flash disk.
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pukster

Glad you figured it out, I was just writing the reply to you, when I saw you had sorted it, Yes you need to reset the machine before removing the Falk apps,

The next step is to try and get TomTom3 installed in the 32Mb Flashdrive, so it does not get wiped out on a hard reset, I understand it can be done but causes problems using checkpoint and the speed camera database, so lets hope someone figures it out, It would be nice to have an indestructible TomTOm3 application when travelling!

Richard
MikeT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse me if I am being stupid here, but couldnt you leave the Falk where it is and instal Tom Tom as well with its maps on another SD card and then use whichever app you fancied? That way if one failed for some reason the other should still work?

Also I am informed by someone away from these boards that removing the Falk s/ware from the flash drive can cause problems?

Quote:Be wary of installing TomTom as the Navigator screen will keep turning off while you are trying to look at it. Falk on the Lidl one and Navigon on the Aldi one, have a utility which installs to the settings to prevent that happening.

Newbe Mike Wink
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

With regard to leaving the Falk software on the unit,

Personally I would never use it the maps are 2 years out of date and it is flaky to say the least, so see no point in leaving it on the system also most of my navigation is in the US, so the Falk maps are pointless.

As for the screen powering down, thats only when it is not on the car power lead (When on the car lead the screen stays on as long as there is power to the unit). ,

And for handheld use all you need to do is change the settings in settings/backlight to keep it on longer when handheld if you want.

Removing the Falk software from the Flashdrive does not cause any problems!, The only problems noted where when someone left falk on and tried to switch between that and Tomtom and from the sound of it got lock ups due to one of the packages not releasing the GPS driver,

Richard
MikeT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yet again Richard for saying what I wanted to hear!

I just had a call from Lidl CC who want to send me a cheque to cover the cost of the missing SD card from this package, I accepted of course :D

The deal just got even better.

Mike.
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

No problem,

Personally I have found the unit to be one of the best so far (I have had almost all the Aldi/Lidl units over the past few years), and this I am confident to say is the best unit

The Falk Software is just OK as a starter package but for anyone with an entusianst interest in GPS will not be any use at all,

At the moment I am trying to see if the TomTOm3 will work from the flashdrive my main reason for this I am often away on the road for 2 weeks with no access to my main PC 9or any PC for that matter), so a loss of battery power can be a real pain in restoring backups from SD as my main 1Gb SD is chock full of my US TomTom Maps)! so if I can get TomTom on the flash drive it relieve that problem,

I have not had any luck so far, at the moment I am just using the flashdrive to store Vito NavigatorII and Vito Smart Map (Both of which I use when on the road in New Zealand)

The backup programme that comes with the 6500xl does not seem that comprehensive even a full backup seemed to fail to reload TT3 correctly, so I will probably invest in a 3rd party backup utility that will make a self extracting backup to a spare 256MB SD card in case disaster strikes and the battery does run down while in transit (Only ever happened once in the past on a Medion unit that was in my carry on bag and there was pressure on the unit that kept it activated on a Los Angeles to Auckland hop and killed the bettery by the time I got there!)

Richard
Pukster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you get TT3 installed on the flash drive, though I suspect it exceeds the capacity, I didn't notice how big TT3 was during the install. I have checkPOInt 3.2 installed with the voice files as well as TT3 on the 256Mb card, as long as checkPOInt is started first, the voice files work.

What happens if you lose power, I was under the impression that the SD card was non-volatile memory and believed that a recharge of the PocketPC would resolve it, am I wrong ?? Excuse my ignorance, I'm a newbie to GPS and PocketPC.
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pukster,

TT3 fits on the Flashdrive no problem, (The Program that is) The maps on the SD card,

You are correct that the SD is non volatile, but the TT3 Prog is stored in volatile memory on the PDA. so if battery power fails you lose the TT3 prog of the PDA, and the maps stay intact on the SD Card, getting the TT3 Prog back onto the PDA can be problamtic without access to a PC to do the setup, (As the Backup program supplied with the unit that makes a backup of the volatile memory does not seem to do a totally good job!)

So its just a coase of fitting the TT3 Prog and voice files and GPS driver (about 23meg) onto the Flashdrive, it fits no problem, and once on there you can do a registry hack as published on the groups here to make it work, but its not 100% sucessfull in linking with other programes like checkpoint,

Also with TT3 on the 32mb flashdrive it frees up a lot of the actual memory on the PDA for other things.

Sure one of the bright sparks on here will come up with a way of doing it soon and enlighten us all (Please Laughing )

I really am being a bit paranoid as the chances of killing the main battery should be a lot less than the older units (The destruction manual says that even on a total power out shutdown the unit can hold memory for 72 hours), which the old aldi unit that I had the problem with could not do, with that you could totally suck the battery dry till the memory failed,

Just that Sods law says if its going to go it will go in the middle of the Nevada Desert!

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: