Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

The Falk Software is really easy to remove, (Although you can safely just delete it if you prefer), as when you install the CDs on your CD it will detect that the PDA software is mssing and just replace it,

But to make a backup to your PC just do the following

Create a folder on your PC, caleed Falk Backup (For example),

Then go to activesync, click explore

Select MyPocketPC, Then FlashDisk, select all the files in the Flash Disc and copy them to the folder on your PC, you can then safely delete them from the FlashDisk,

Then you can create a folder on your PC for the 256Mb Memory card and copy all the files from that to save them then delete from the memory card,

You can then reinstall whatever you want to the FlashDisk 32Mb, although you will have some problems getting TT3 working from FlashDisk correctly,

Really there is no need to do any of the above tho, if you just delete them from the memory card and the flash disk if you want, you can reinstall them from the supplied CDs at any time,

As for the External Antenna, I think you have to forgive Lidl that one, lets face it, it was just a typo they did supply an external antenna, and a USB one would not work with a PDA, so would not be supplied,

The 2 major issues are

1: The Memory card which they are resolving with a £30 refund

2: The 2 year old Nav Software which needs to tackled with them yet!

Richard
Pukster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, I appreciate the help in getting to grips with my new toy. I hope to install TomTom3 asap.

The Falk software maps are indeed quite old, they show two local cinemas as points of interest that have been demolished for years!

Not only that, but it couldn't Navigate me to my Mums house nearby , and gave many wrong turn errors. I can't moan though as I paid for the hardware, not the software bundle, and if I get a rebate for the missing 512Mb SD card I will be very happy.
MikeT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard for the quick reply. Smile

I did already back up the 256Mb cards contents to the pc having had my pc hard drive turn into a "deathstar" last week I am a little wary atm of leaving anything to chance Wink

I will take your advice re not having to back up the rest as I saw no registration numbers needed with the falk software so it must be possible to reinstal a number of times with no penalty.

As to the USB ext antenna, a typo could be excused but they actually also pictured one to go with the typo!

The Falk package doesnt seem to shout any date at you and just says "New" on the box sides to several features in it.
With Tom tom 3 being 1yr out of date too I doubt we will have much joy with that either, but I hope you prove me wrong Wink
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

If you look closely at the pictures of the "USB Antenna" in the Lidl Brochure and Website, you will see it is actually a picture of the Power Supply used to charge the PDA Rolling Eyes

They really must have been going on very thin information from Falk when they produced the information for the flyers etc,

Richard
MikeT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must get my glasses changed Richard, your right of course Wink

I saw what I wanted to see obviously!

Now I just have to get the sticky mess off the screen on the pda and I will be happy. I posted about this in the newbe lounge earlier.
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I must admit I was a bit quick with the screen protector Doh!,

I put it on then realised there were a load of lovely finger prints under it!!,

Anyway luckily I got it off without any damage to residue,

Take care cleaning it, I got a bit heavy handed once trying that on an XDA and ended up having the touch sensitive film fail Embarassed

SO be really careful whatever method you use to clean it,

Richard
MikeT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed tech support and they suggest I phone them so I will do that tomorrow. There must be something that is safe to use on it, I just dont want to experiment trying to find what that is Rolling Eyes
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway wrote:
Hi,
got two questions:
1...[edit]
2. The Medion 95000 Aldi bundle sold in Germany suffered from the "Northing-Problem", i.e. when you had to stop at a crossing, the map was turned to have noth upwards and your current position sometimes was put in another street of that crossing, resulting in funny but wrong turn-to instructions.

Anybody observed the same behavior with the Lidl bundle or does the map remain in the last driven direction when stopping at a crossing (as expected)?

I'm glad someone else picked up on this, I thought I was going mad.

I own both the Lidl Falk package and the Aldi's MD95000 package (both essentially rebranded Mio 168's).

As Anyway has rightly noted on the Aldi package when coming to a stand still, the map would twist and advise you to turn around because you were supposedly on another street.

Having tested both these units side by side in the car (hum, hum geek i know...) both using TT3, I can confirm that the Aldi unit would provide the "Northing-Problem" but I haven't yet experienced this problem with the Lidl package.

I'm just glad that someone else has experienced this "Northing-Problem" on the Aldi package and that it has been recorded.

BTW I have also noticed that the Aldi package offers additional software options in -> "Settings" -> "Utility".

The Utility Icon on the Lidld package is a "moon" icon, whereas on the Aldi package it's simply an "M" with "Medion Utility" written under it.

There are two extra tabs on the Aldi package compared to the Lidll one already there such as Smart Battery ect.. These are "GPS" and "GPS Advanced" which allow you to dim the screen when the GPS is activated to save battery life, and also automatically activate the GPS when the back lid is flipped up.

It's a shame that these options aren't available on the Lidl package, as the screnn keeps turning off after 1 minute even when using TOMTOM.
kevwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now don't get me wrong, I love this 6500 XL which looks like it is going to only cost me £219 all in!!

I love it so much I bought 2, and treid for a 3rd with no joy :-)

BUT, what possesed them to put a stupid 2.5mm headphone socket on the damned thing :-(((

What were they thinking?

Kev
garyf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: In Car Holder? Reply with quote

For a Sat Nav sceptic, I looked at the Lidl package and thought... "well it's worth a go!" and I'm hooked - It's an excellent package for the price. Especially with the extra £30 off Laughing - thanks to the PocketGPS forum!

I hear that TT3 is superior to Falk, and I may change - eventually - but for now it's just fine.

Only one concern though is the car-charger connection - it looks a bit flimsy. Has enyone managed to find a "drop-in" cradle? I found out that Brodit do one for a Mitac MIO/Yakumo Delta.. Will it work?
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: In Car Holder? Reply with quote

garyf wrote:
...I found out that Brodit do one for a Mitac MIO/Yakumo Delta.. Will it work?

I agree, got a web site I can check out for this Brodit product by any chance Question
garyf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.handnav.co.uk/product_details.php?id=103

Confused - Why the hell does a 5v power cable have to be so thick?
Pukster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have TomTom 3 up and running with the UK and speed camera maps installed and working, I am having trouble getting the voice files for the audible warnings to work after 3 hours of installing (phew)so I will try again tomorrow and also install the major european route maps. 8)

I deleted the Falk maps on the SD card but the Falk Navigator application software is hard encoded into the OS files in ROM and I cannot delete it.

The TT3 software works very well, having used the route demo mode for several planned destinations with correct instructions, voice commands etc and the speed camera shown as a POI icon though sadly no countdown warning.

Does anyone recommend a particular brand of SD cards ?? I need 2 or 3 512MB cards soon.
Anyway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having tested both these units side by side in the car (hum, hum geek i know...) both using TT3, I can confirm that the Aldi unit would provide the "Northing-Problem" but I haven't yet experienced this problem with the Lidl package.

I'm just glad that someone else has experienced this "Northing-Problem" on the Aldi package and that it has been recorded.

Hi Shaky,
thank's for the feedback, just what Germany needed to know. Smile
The Lidl bundle will come to the stores here on Dec. 16th.
Many German pocketnavigators have returned the Medion 95000 bundle, disappointed by the "northing-problem", and hence want to be assured, that the Lidl unit does not have the same problem.

Medion in Germany has been heavily flooded with complaints about it, first denying that it is a problem but finally accepting it. Rumors say, that a fix is is in development and may be available soon for download.

Quote:
Has enyone managed to find a "drop-in" cradle?

Yes, got the active cradle from Brodit and am quite satisfied with it.

Price in Germany is 79 EUR Crying or Very sad

Cheers
Joachim
RickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pukster

The Falk Software is Not Hard Encoded,

It is stored on a seperate 32Mb Flash Memory Drive, and can easily be removed,

Just use file explorer and select FlashDrive you will then see the Falk Files and remove them, this will then leave you a free 32mb drive that you can use for other programmes, this memory will not be emptied by a hard reset, but you can add and remove programmes from it whenever you want

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: