Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2 newbie questions re the Medion 95000!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2 newbie questions re the Medion 95000!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctorf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: 2 newbie questions re the Medion 95000! Reply with quote

Just got the Aldi/Medion 95000 last week and drove 500 miles at the weekend without having totally mastered it!

I installed POI-Warner and subscribed to POI Handler for their camera database. It seems fine and seems to update automatically on sync.

My questions are;
1. is poi handler updated regularly compared to the database on this site?? Also is it as accurate?? In 500 miles I only seemed to have no warning for only one camera.
It did seem pretty good

2. are postcodes a nightmare for everyone with this pda?? It seems to only accept the first 4 letters/numbers but then takes you to a city centre! I wanted to input a coventry CV4 postcode (to Warwick University and I didn't know the street name) and I thought it was acccepted. I wasn't impressed when it took me to CV1 ie the city centre. Is it me or the machine!!

I have read the tele-atlas comments on these forums. Is there a better atlas system which is compatible (& no/little cost) ??

Some other guys have been asking about a case for it. I have found a leather case for £16.99 from www.eliteelectronics.co.uk

Simon F
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I can't help much with your first question as I'm a tight git Wink and didn't subscribe to poi sync, I use the database available here and found it to be ok.

As for your second point with post codes I'm afraid it's you :D . If you put a post code in and don't select a street it will take you to the town centre. I've selected "special destination" from the "single destination" menu (in another town) and put CV4 in and then "uni" in the "special destination" field and you'll never guess what it came up with.....

It takes a little pratice and fooling around to learn whats where and how to access the data you need, some of it I find quite intuitive and some a bit weird, but maybe thats just me. I did say in an earlier post that some of my local poi's that are in the the Tele Atlas database are in the wrong place, so having found the University of Warwick in the database I don't know whether it would have got you there anyway! 8O . Have a look see and let us know.

You didn't say whether you'd been there before or not, because the other way to do it is to "select on map", you can then stick the flag in the appropriate place. I've found when you go in through this route the map always centres on the English channel and at such a zoom level that theres nothing to see, just an expanse of white, if you zoom out a lot you will eventually see the map of europe then you can zoom in again on the area you want, I'm sure they could have written the software a little better than that, or maybe someone else has found a better way.

I hope I've been some help and not waffled too much Rolling Eyes

Jon.
doctorf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon

thanks for that. I too have now found Warwick Uni! I had been before but I could never have found it on the map and I couldn't remember the address.

I think my success will improve with use.

I'm interested in the camera database though so if anyone knows how good or bad poihandler is I'd be grateful.

Thanks again

Simon F
Cerberus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used POI handler with the the original Aldi package for the last year - Upgraded to MN4 a few months back.

In that time and driving all over the country I've probably had to add about 20 cameras and a few red light cameras. 10+ of those cameras were when the latest batch of cameras were installed in Blackpool. So I would say it is very accurate. As long as people sync frequently every one should be upto date.

I've had a few that were wrong, cameras that must have been in roadworks on motorways, wrong speed etc.

Had a couple of strange things happen. One was where every camera in Blackpool vanished from the database (all 50 of them). All other local areas were still OK (Preston, Lancaster etc). I emailed Poi handler support and they said that a user had deleted them. They then undid these deletions.

The second problem is ongoing at the minute, over the last week or so somebody has duplocated about 12 cameras (some cameras multiple times) in Blackpool and put them in the Red light and speed section. From their website I have requested the duplicates to be removed but they are still there. I have removed duplicates before with no problem.
jflfpf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Speed cams shown in wrong position on map Reply with quote

I also have the latest ALDI package with POI Warner and MN4 - but the speed cams are not as accuratley positioned as on the last ALDI package with POI Warner and MN 3.1. Is this progress? Seriously - the cams are literally 100's of metres away. The pre-installed ALDI POIs are nice and accurate - but not the speed cams. Have I done something wrong - or is everyones like this on MN4?

Cheers
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the Pocket GPS World database and only been past a handfull of speedcams so far, but they do seem to be in the right place. I've not checked out the Aldi poi's but a lot of the other poi's in the database I've found to be way off.
Are the poi's off because of carelessness in entering the lat/long data when the database was compiled or is there any pattern to it, such as aligned with magnetic north as opposed to true north, I'm probably talking complete blox here... maybe someone with some proper knowledge can provide a sensible answer, anyway there does seem to be some discrepancy in the indicated and actual locations of some poi's as I don't seem to be the only one whos noticed.
And while I'm in the mood for bitchin, I don't think the Intel PXA255 processor in this latest Aldi machine is a patch on the Samsung one from the previous deal and I'm running mine in "superior performance" mode too.

Jon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: