Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman V3 software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman V3 software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Navman V3 software Reply with quote

I currently have a Garmin streetpilot 3. I am generally happy with the unit, but having had it 3 years I am ready for a change. I am becoming annoyed by the limited memory, lots of leads to the PC, heavy weight of the unit and sandbag, plus the bulk of the unit and sticking out aerial. It is also difficult to mount in a 95 BMW 3 series, as the dash slopes on the passenger side, and curves in front of the driver.

I am thinking about a window mounted device. I dont like PDAs, so the Garmin quest and Navman ICN 510 are candidates. The Navman seems to have superior hardware, but I am concerned by posts on the forum relating to Navmans V2/V1 software which has problems like routing loops, and routing up dead ends. People have said the non navtech maps are inferior.

While the Garmin Quest hardware is inferior, I have been happy with mapsource routing(navtech based), and was happy with the streetpilot firmware.

Is the Navman V3 software any better than previous versions ?, Can the V3 software be installed on a PC to do waypoints and routes?
how much does the ICN 510 Weigh and what are its physical dimensions? Thanks for your response
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confuse you a little more - have you looked at the TomTom GO yet?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V3 software is certainly better by way of routing. It has sliding scale options for motorway use, urban road use and shortest/quickest route. The Mapdata is claimed to be Summer 2004 and includes the M6 Toll Road but there are still errors present, as there always will be in mapdata. However, you can set up permanent 'Avoid' areas to stop the software from routing down roads. Not ideal I know, but workable at least.

There is no facility to plot routes on the PC and transfer them to the device, something I did a lot with my GPS V. However, you can plot multi-stop routes on the iCN510 (upto 14 waypoints per route) and save them. I don't know if there is a limit to the number of routes that can be saved, or if this number is purely governed by the available memory.

The 510 weighs 160g and its dimensions in mm are 121(l), 71(h) and 26(w) and it has a 3.5" screen.
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

I dont want the tomtom go, due to its large size and reflective screen.

I think the quest is looking like the best option at the moment, as I like mapsource softwares maps and routing ability, with the navtech maps. I would be able to do my routes in advance on a PC and upload them to the garmin.

The ICN 510 is my second choice at the moment. I will not be buying until late January/Early february, so I will be watching peoples comments on the forum.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the points I've gleaned, the Quest is better (IMO) in terms of mapping (I prefer Navteq too) and the fact that it will optimise a route whereas the iCN wins on the Custom POI import and proximity warning alarm. Most other things appear equal.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: