Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TheClip.com Vent Mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TheClip.com Vent Mount
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: TheClip.com Vent Mount Reply with quote

I've been using this particular clip mount for some months now and I've found it to work very well.

Firstly it takes just seconds to fit/unfit to most designs of air vents and there is adjustability in the lower arm so that you can vary the angle to avoid reflections. The stick on clips apparently use a type of "glue" that unsticks with a certain amount of force (15 lbs or something) and leaves no residue. When I ordered mine, I ordered an extra couple of stick on clips just in case...although to date the one thats on the back of my Ipaq expansion sleeve has remained steadfastly attached.

If there was one niggle it would be that the clip doesn't rest in the mount as snuggly as I would prefer but I used a little velcro to sort that out. Anyway, for the price its excellent value and very discrete which is a big plus.
ghostwriter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: TheClip.com Vent Mount Reply with quote

Has anyone used a Vent Mount Clip from TheClip.com on a Toshiba E330 or E740 as I would imagine that the sticky tab will be a nuisance when the unit is disconnected?

Ghostwriter
thealbs
Occasional Visitor

I too use the clip.com vent mount. My main reason for this was that it was not as unsightly as the bulky holders. I just want to see the IPAQ - not the holder. I now realise that the bulky holders are bulky for a reason..they stop my IPAQ from swinging from side to side on a single pivotal peg!

This has now been solved (picking advice from above) with a small velcro patch. It works wonderfully!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I think it would be difficult to use it on a Navman sleeve. The button would I think impair the use of the windcsreen mount, and due to the design of the Navman sleeve it won't wit nicely in the holder. You could try placing the button higher up towards the top of the Navman sleeve, but I don't know how well it will hang, and you may find the screen a little low. Ideally you need to put the button aboug 50% down the height of the sleeve.
Alfonso
Occasional Visitor

Has anybody tried theClip.com vent mount on a NavMan sleeve? Would the plastic button impair the use of the NavMan windscreen mount?

Not that this is important, since the bloody thing detaches itself from the windscreen on its own accord! I'm suprised I haven't cracked my iPaq's screen yet!

Cheers!

AL
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Michael, what Mark was referring to is not having to have a plastic button stuck on the back of the sleeve if you go for TheClip.com Vent Mount.

The Arkon windscreen mount cannot be interchanged with TheClip.com Vent Mount and hung from the vents.

The Arkon windscreen mount I believe you can interchange the windscreen cradle to the vent cradle, but I haven't tried this and I wouldn't want to. The main reason for this is that you'll be putting a lot more weight on your vent, and I could quite easily see these snapping under the weight and bulk of the windscreen cradle. I know Arkon do a cradle version for the vent mounts, but I don't know what added support they give it.
Michael
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 19 March 2003

Hence why I prefer the Arkon mount, TheClip mount means you do have a buttom permanently stuck to the back of the Pocket PC/sleeve, the Arkon vent mount you don't, but you do need an iPAQ though.

Dave is that true I was under the impression that the universal cradle/mount from my CM626 would simply unclip from the flexible suction arm and clip onto the Arkon mount clip. Am I mistaken here ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hence why I prefer the Arkon mount, TheClip mount means you do have a buttom permanently stuck to the back of the Pocket PC/sleeve, the Arkon vent mount you don't, but you do need an iPAQ though.
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

Doesn't this mean that you have a chunk of plastic on the back of your PDA, resulting in it not fitting your case anymore (thinking of my Ipaq, that would seem to be the case)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

The Arkon vent mounts use the same style of clip, so from a wear and tear point of view, their practically identical. TBH I do prefer the Arkon CM429 and we'll have a review in a few days. The beauty about the Arkon mount is that it's like a larger sleeve, that will fit over all iPAQ's even the dual sleeve, so all you have to do is slot your iPAQ into the case an daway you go. It does mean an unsitely sleeve/holder permanently in car, but I find this better myself.
Michael
Occasional Visitor

How does this compare to the Arkon vent mount, as I already own a Arkon CM626 Suction mount and it would be nice to use the holder on a vent mount.

thanks,

Scott
Regular Visitor

I would second that.

On my car I found it easier to mount the 'hooks' upside down. This also leaves the vent slats in a more usable position. I've also replaced the single bit of foam padding provided with four foam pads at the corners of the mount to provide a bit more cushioning.

I didn't want the 'button' permanently attached to my CF+ expansion sleeve (which is big enough already) so I attached one to a standard cover pack and one to the expansion pack battery cover and use one of those instead.

One advantage of the button is that it allows you to rotate the PPC through 90 degrees, so you can watch movies in landscape (providing you're stationary of course).

All in all, highly recommended.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

If you're after a cheap vent mount for your Pocket PC, you really can't go wrong with the Vent Mount Clip from TheClip.com.

Check out the review here.
tsunami6RR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: REVIEW COMMENTS: TheClip.com Vent Mount Reply with quote

ghostwriter wrote:
Has anyone used a Vent Mount Clip from TheClip.com on a Toshiba E330 or E740 as I would imagine that the sticky tab will be a nuisance when the unit is disconnected?

Hey Ghost,

I just ordered the Vent Mount ($9) for my e740 and Syson GPS CF Plus. Should have it in a couple of days and will let you know how it works.

I also ordered the iHolster-T ($30) and the Ultra PDA Leather Case ($12) from The Clip. Intended use is for the iHolster is a in-vehicle 'permanent' attached to the Vent Mount and use the Ultra Leather Case as my belt/hip carrying/protective case.

For the investment in my e740 (yeh overpriced for the issues on the unit) and the Syson GPS, The Clip accessories will be worth the price and convenience.

edward...
BBD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsunami6RR - I had the same idea for my ipaq 2200, big big mistake. The holster is a very bad fit and far too tight. The sharp edges have scratched my ipaq!!! I heated it up with a hairdryer and opened up the side grips which means it now fits sort of okay but I can't get the power cord in without further mods. I waited 2 weeks for the mounts and holster delivery was delayed because they hadn't put the name of my road on the package! A complete disater and a total waste of time and money.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: