Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Socket SDIO WiFi Card review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Socket SDIO WiFi Card review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Socket SDIO WiFi Card review Reply with quote

Click here for the Socket SD WiFi Card reviewWireless networking or WiFi has been around for some time now in one form or other. Initially It was targeted at the PC market, but has quickly moved over to the PDA market.

I have been using a 5450 with built-in WiFi networking for some time, but have been frustrated that I cannot use it on my 2210 or XDA II. Well this has all changed with the socket SDIO WiFi SD card. A neat little device that turns any PDA with SDIO capabilities into a Wireless enabled device.

When you insert the wireless networking card into your PDA you can browse the internet, use MSN Messenger, Pocket Skype, Email, and many other network dependant applications. You can even use ActiveSync over the airwaves removing the need to connect your PC to the PDA.

This sounds like Utopia and all for about £80.00. How does it work, is it really that good? Click here to read the review and find out...
DevilsAdvocate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 2210 users CF cards are cheaper between £25-45 .
They have been out a while so the intro of an SD card is just an addition rather than changing the situation , for 2210 users that is.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2818713926&action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=&subcat_uid=1024
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=82&ShopGroupID=3&Alt=Yes

Regards
Memory Map
Fortuna Clip-ON
Lexar 256MB CF Card
Arkon Mount
sprogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: SDIO versus CF card Reply with quote

Hello there,

I am using HP IPAQ 2210 and really very curious about differences in between SDIO and Compact Flash Cards for WiFi. Actually SDIO port of my PDA is occupied by a Memory card so I have decided to purchase a CF card for WiFi. Is there any speed differences? Or any power consumption differences? Or compatibility problems? Or driver problems? I do not know what to ask as I am a newbie for Wifi world. Anyhow, all helps and info are welcomed

Thanks guys
ilker
Euro-spanner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Socket sd wifi mystery "socket" Reply with quote

Hello all,
i bought one of these to use at work and noticed a little crater on the sticker in the top right hand corner.
I peeled it back and there is a small socket about 2.5mm diameter.
It looks like it might be an MCX male socket- but its very short - as you can imagine.
It made me think of buying some pringles and making a directional antenna- is that what this socket is for?
I looked on the website of Socket and they don't say anything about it. Ideas anyone?
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

In your review you mentioned; "The 2210 did need a patch to the ROM to work properly". What was the patch and how did you undertake it? I want to get a WiFi capability on my 2210 and have spotted some cheap SDIO devices on eBay.

Cheers.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I cant remember exactly what the patch was, but I believe that it was one from the HP site, so if you apply all the patches from there you should be fine.

I think the patch was related to the SDIO functionality.
owen13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, do u guys now if this wi-fi card works in a toshiba pocket pc e 405???

thanks!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: