Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NAVMAN icn510: can't upload maps....help!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NAVMAN icn510: can't upload maps....help!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: NAVMAN icn510: can't upload maps....help!!! Reply with quote

I am running windows2000 but when i try to upload a map to my 510 it fails and defaults to loading British Ferries.
I removed all of the maps, reset the 510 and my laptop, reconnected but still won't let me upload so now i have no maps at all....

HELP!!! Sad
Dave_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexM,

Are you really me ? :D Does ST desktop report only 5.3MB available even after deleting maps ?

I started to delete maps from my iCN when I got the "16mb" limit message from POI editor, thinking that maybe the problem was the reported available memory on the iCNwas only 5.3MB. So I thought OK, I'll delete Scotland and Northern Ireland to free up some memory. Having done that the reported available memory stayed at 5.3MB 8O . After some investigation I found that the corresponding .MAP .CPT and ."something else" (sorry - don't have it in front of me) files in the MAPS directory on the SD card were all set as read-only (presumably because they are copied from CD originally). This must prevent ST desktop from deleting the files even though it's deleted the maps from CURMAP.ini. So I deleted the relevant map files from the SD card directly, and then ST desktop allowed me to re-install the maps as the available memory was now correct.

Good luck !
AlexM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_L,
Laughing
yes, i did the exact same thing but even now the ST desktop is showing that i have over 116mb available but i still cant get it to upload the maps.

any ideas?

regards

Alex
Dave_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that is strange - do you still have curmaps.ini and dca.ini in your Navman directory ? These get modified on the fly by ST desktop during map messing about - don't know if it will create them if they are not there though. What kind of error message does ST desktop give you when you select the map and fire up the download ?

I know the files on my SD card are exactly as they are on the CD (size, date etc.), so if you have the ini files OK, I guess you could try copying the files directly.
gelec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Unable to reload maps Reply with quote

I,ve got the same problem.
I can 'delete' Maps to make room for the basemap but the map is'nt really deleted so the capacity doasn't change on the card.
If you free up room on the card SmartST v3 goes through the motions of reloading but still no joy.
MAybe it's possible to start with a blank card and load it up with maps and start again but i'm stuck now and not very impressed with the software.
gelec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_L

SmartST doesn't recreate those two files. I've moved them to my desktop and tried again but SmartST then thinks there are no maps at all on the card. Any chance you could email a copy of your curmaps and dca files as mine are now useless?
Dave_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gelec,

Don't know how to attach a file to a PM (probably can't) so PM me your e-mail address and I'll try and send them. Only have my Zaurus to read the card and send the mail at the moment, so it may have to wait until this evening - unless someone else can oblige of course.
gelec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Thanks - have sent PM.

Downloaded utility from Navman to rebuild sd card but still no joy.
Starts to load map from CD but can only load ferries. Saved most of my files before I wiped the card but amm unsure of the scotland files and their file names. Also checked for latest version of PC Sync but i'm up to date on that score. Navman will probably say its XP Pro Servvice release 2 at fault but I think it something with the CD. Have downloaded a new ASPI driver as recomended by the Navman site but its not that either.
I think its gonna have to be a manual load and file edit. God help us

regards

Grant.
gelec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Received copies of the ini files and am now back to original spec.

Managed to copy the map files from CD to their relevant directories and am waiting for a reply from Navman as to the problem with SMartST.

From what I can deduce it writes a DOWNLOAD.INI file on the card and adds entries to the CURMAPS.INI and DCA.INI files. Copies the MAP, CPT, CHK and BM files to directories and then deletes the DOWNLOAD.INI file. (The 'enabled' setting in the curmaps file is set by the user from the menu and the whole entry e.g. [UK0P] is deleted if you request to erase the map)The maps are left in the MAPS,POIS,POLYS and TOPO directories taking up space but because the entries have been removed from the INI files then 'SMART'(?)ST says they're gone.

Thanks for the files - you're a life saver.
I suggest everybody makes a copy of their sd card for backup!
Or face a manual copying job of a few hours.

regards

Grant.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of the tree do we copy over - the Storage Card, the Flash Disk or something else?
AlexM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy's,

If you follow this link:

http://www.navman-europe.com/support.php?id=AA005725&faq=104

It will give instructions on how to rebuild your SD card. I did and then was able to upload the maps again.

The only problem is that the two files that it tells you to download seem to show up on ST desktop that you have france maps loaded. i just deleted them and installed the UK maps again.

Also it contains extra language files that i needed to delete from the card to make space for the maps.

US female is very annoying!!!
gelec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am now sorted after talking to NAvman.

The problem with the SD card is that the maps are all installed on the card with 'read-only' attribute set (as dave_L pointed out) and this upsets removal and freeing of storage.

You can COMPLETELY erase the SD card (after OKing the removal of read only files) and so starting with a blank ask SmartST to add all the maps you want and it rebuilds the directory structure and the .ini files. The card functions as normal BUT you must save your MYPOI folder first and copy it back afterwards.
You do NOT need a utility to rebuild the card. The utility on Navman's website is for a different model.

Navman acknowledges their mistake and have approved my posting.

regards

Grant.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: